Author Topic: Where would our young guys place in this draft?  (Read 2355 times)

Where would our young guys place in this draft?
« on: June 07, 2009, 11:02:07 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I'm doing this for our players age 24 and younger.   I realize 24 would be a little old for a rookie but this is just for fun so it doesn't matter.  I can't believe Perk is still only 24!  I'm by no means an expert on this upcoming draft but I know it's a weak draft.   I'm sure there are others that have better insight and can compare our players to other players in this draft.

Rajon Rondo age 23-I would say he would be the 2nd pick of the draft right behind Griffin.

Kendrick Perkins age 24-Does Thabeet really have the potential to be a better defensive stopper than Perk?  Maybe.  I say Perk doesn't slip past 7.

Glen Davis age 23-There doesn't seem to be too many good forwards in this draft.  I would say he doesn't drop past 15.

Bill Walker age 21-Still very young and very intriguing prospect.  Doesn't go past 20 possibly?

Jr Giddens age 24- Had a good season in the DL but I would say he doesn't go much higher than what he was originally drafted.   Maybe cracks 25.

Gabe Pruitt age 23-A little disappointed he hasn't cracked the rotation in 2 years.  I'm still intrigued by his defense and smooth stroke.  Maybe top 35 pick falling into second round.

Semih Erden age 22-I know Ainge has said he is like our first round pick this year since we don't have one but would he really be a first round pick this year?   I don't think he improved all that much.  Maybe a top 50 pick. 

What are your thoughts?

Re: Where would our young guys place in this draft?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 11:33:13 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
Rondo -- Top two pick
Perkins -- Top five pick
Glen Davis -- Second half of the first round
Bill Walker -- Late first round, early second round
JR Giddens -- Late first round, early second round
Gabe Pruitt -- Early to mid second round pick
Semih Erden -- Late second round pick or undrafted

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 11:36:55 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Rondo and Perk would be top 5.

Davis would be 1st round.

Walker and JR would be fringe late 1st, 2nd.

Pruitt might be a rookie FA.

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 01:37:26 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Can't say, who knows what they would have looked like in college and you have to remember that Rondo and Perk wouldn't have the "starter on an NBA championship" pedigree. Their draft stock would be based on what they'd done in college.

Rondo would probably be top five but top two? I don't see it. Rondo still has major questions about his jumper. If he went through four years of college and had never really developed his jumper, at age 23, he's still enough of a question mark that he's not the first point guard off the board. Ricky Rubio's five years younger with all the same upside and professional and international experience - he's still taken higher than Rondo. I think Rondo goes somewhere between 4 and 10 if you take his current skill set in this draft.

As for Perk, given that he has developed some offense and has shown a lot of defensive ability, I think top ten is a reasonable bet.

The only other guy who may go higher than where he was picked is Davis, who could probably crack the top 20 - mostly because this is a much weaker draft than the one he came out in. But who knows? He might have the exact same perception as he had then - too small and too overweight to be much more than an early second rounder.

As for Walker, Giddens, Pruitt - they're all at the same spot or lower.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 09:43:51 PM »

Offline oldmanspeaks

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 70
I think the way to do it is with comparisons. Perkins will rebound better than Thabeet ever will and Perk is a better fit in a rotating defense. Walker is comparable to Sam Young. Young is more rugged and can get his shot off better but Walker can put it on the floor better. Blair has more reach than Glen Davis and is a much better rebounder but Davis has more of a medium range shot and better feet to create his own offense.
Rondo is more difficult compare. He doesn't have much of a shot but his defense is far superior to anyone who is coming out. Also the super fast guards who are coming out are much slower than Rondo. Rondo's selection is really dependent upon the style of the team that would select him.

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 10:00:32 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Rondo and Perk would be top 5.

Davis would be 1st round.

Walker and JR would be fringe late 1st, 2nd.

Pruitt might be a rookie FA.

Pretty much agree, with the exception of Giddens. Old shooting guard who can't shoot and has had character issues in the past. I don't see him getting picked before 40.