Author Topic: Curt Schilling  (Read 5638 times)

Re: Curt Schilling
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 01:12:53 PM »

Offline KJ33

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 78
Always love what Schill did for us in '04.  I'm not sure we get the monkey off our back without him; not just his clutch pitching, but the "hell with it, we can win this thing!" attitude he helped bring to the clubhouse.  Most Sox teams would have folded under the pressure; he, along with guys like Millar and a whole host of others, had exactly the right attitude to finally destroy the "curse."  

So, I'll always like him for that.

What I *HATED* was when, immediately post-World Series, he began using his fame to push hard for his political agenda.  Frankly, I don't give a rats' ass what ANY sports figure thinks about politics, and it struck me as so ham-handed (especially being so pro-Bush when MA is about as blue a state as they come).  Now, I would have had a bad taste in my mouth had he come out and been all pro-Kerry, so it's not the political affiliation; it's using his position as a Red Sox "hero" as a bully pulpit.

Last years' contract just felt like extortion...

But, you can't take away '04.  

Push hard for his political agenda?  Why do I get the feeling it would not have bothered you if you agreed with his views?  As already said, ask all the NBA players who used their "fame" to shamelessly promote Obama, what else they knew about him and his policies besides the color of his skin.  I didn't hear much objection to Doc and Ray Allen, to name only 2, using their position to push the candidate they liked. I don't particularly like any athletes/entertainers pushing their political views, whatever they are, but you cannot single out Schilling simply because his views are opposite yours.

The Legend of the Bloody Sock
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 01:16:28 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
I have come here to remember the Legend of the Bloody Sock. It was Game 6 of the ALCS against the Yankees who had our number for 86 years (Geez that number 86 sure has crossed paths with Boston Sports a time or two). The Red Sox were trying to keep there hopes for an unprecedented come back against their alltime rival. Curt got beat in Game one and had an ankle surgery so he could pitch (Don't ask me what procedure was used - hopefully an orthopedic surgeon or someone in the know can supply us a link). So as the game progressed the blood from the stitches in the kept staining the sock. He battled them for 6 innings and kept us to a 4-1 lead which was successfully protected by the bullpen. And so the Red Sox got a 2nd chance in Game 7 at Yankee Stadium on my 2nd anniversary.  

I will always the remember the Legend of the Bloody Sock.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 01:28:29 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Always love what Schill did for us in '04.  I'm not sure we get the monkey off our back without him; not just his clutch pitching, but the "hell with it, we can win this thing!" attitude he helped bring to the clubhouse.  Most Sox teams would have folded under the pressure; he, along with guys like Millar and a whole host of others, had exactly the right attitude to finally destroy the "curse."  

What I *HATED* was when, immediately post-World Series, he began using his fame to push hard for his political agenda.  Frankly, I don't give a rats' ass what ANY sports figure thinks about politics, and it struck me as so ham-handed (especially being so pro-Bush when MA is about as blue a state as they come).  Now, I would have had a bad taste in my mouth had he come out and been all pro-Kerry, so it's not the political affiliation; it's using his position as a Red Sox "hero" as a bully pulpit.

Push hard for his political agenda?  Why do I get the feeling it would not have bothered you if you agreed with his views?  As already said, ask all the NBA players who used their "fame" to shamelessly promote Obama, what else they knew about him and his policies besides the color of his skin.  I didn't hear much objection to Doc and Ray Allen, to name only 2, using their position to push the candidate they liked. I don't particularly like any athletes/entertainers pushing their political views, whatever they are, but you cannot single out Schilling simply because his views are opposite yours.

You're making unfounded accusations about me without knowing me.

It was distasteful, the same as when the Sox allowed that [dang] movie to be filmed as the celebration was occuring.

It was taking advantage of his personal karma to push a political agenda, HARD.  We all know that Curt's a rather forceful personality; he used a moment when we as Sox fans all felt a collective glory to push a divisive agenda.  The victory of the Blood-Red Sox helped pull us all together as fans; pushing his politics on us was forcing a divide.

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 01:38:08 PM »

Offline SquishPCfriar

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
  • It's hammer time
For those talking about John Kerry being a red sox fan and Curt not giving him respect even though he was from MA and was a red sox fan.  Wasn't John Kerry Interviewed and asked who his favorite Red Sox player was and he said "Manny Ortiz".  JOke KErry was a joke.

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 02:07:41 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
For those talking about John Kerry being a red sox fan and Curt not giving him respect even though he was from MA and was a red sox fan.  Wasn't John Kerry Interviewed and asked who his favorite Red Sox player was and he said "Manny Ortiz".  JOke KErry was a joke.

;D

Manny Ortiz was a helluva player.  Didn't he hit 84 homers and 269 RBIs in that historic 2004 season?  What was amazing about Manny Ortiz is that for a slow baserunner he scored an amazing 202 runs in 2004.  All without steroids...or Botox.  He also pulled the amazing feat of being able to be both inside the Green Monster and in the duguout cracking jokes all at the same time.

As the Sox' #1 fan, John Kerry was at every game.  Just ask him. 

« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 03:13:42 PM by Finkelskyhook »

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 02:20:34 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
political opinions have very little bearing on the player.

Schilling directly contributed to 2 world series in the 4 years.  He came to this team and stated his goal was to win the WS for this team.  he changed the culture of the team.  Without him, we likely dont win the world series.

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 02:25:14 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

See this is what I dont understand... I too, do not care about what these athlete/celebrities think about politics, so I really don't pay any attention to what they have to say. However, why is Schilling so critcized for his political endorsments when almost every celebrity/athlete was publically endorsing Barack Obama during election time? My dad went to the Madonna concert back in October (the same night as Game 5 of the ALCS). During her concert, she mentioned Barack and how everyone should vote for him and blah blah blah.

And Madonna wasn't the only one to do this stuff. Celebrities and athletes were wearing t-shirts and mentioning their support for him in interviews and what not, obviously using their influence to get the guy they want elected... So where is the difference here?

I would have been okay with Schilling coming out in favor of John Kerry.  What annoyed me was that not only is MA a blue state, but John Kerry, senator from MA and Red Sox fan, was running for president against GWB.  It showed a lack of tact on Schilling's part.  Did Madonna also show a lack of tact?  Probably, I just don't care much about her.

So he isn't entitled to his own opinion? Just because he plays for a team that is located in a blue state, he should be treated differently from any other athelete who wishes to express their opinion?

So here is a hypothetical... Shaq plays basketball in Arizona. Lets say in the 2008 election, shaq was publically endorsing Barrack Obama (I don't know if he was, or if even voted for him, but lets just say that happened). But wait, John McCain is a senator in Arizona. So Shaq can't do that, because the Senator from this state is also running for president? Would shaq have been as heavily criticized?

No, Schilling is entitled to his opinion.  And as to your hypothetical, I would have been fine if Shaq had said he was supporting Barack Obama.  What I would have had more trouble accepting would be (hypothetically) Shaq riding on the plane with Barack Obama to a bunch of campaign stops in battleground states (hypothetically, lets say New Mexico) and appearing with Barack Obama at campaign stops there.  Or Shaq's voice appearing in robocalls to battleground states.

Back to the original topic, despite the fact that I dislike what Curt Schilling did for George Bush, I will always respect him as a player, and always respect the guts he showed in 2004.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 10:05:38 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Thought some of you b-ball fans might appreciate this little bit on Curt:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/anneschroeder/0509/Heres_the_Pitch_.html
Celtics fan for life.