Author Topic: size matters  (Read 3533 times)

size matters
« on: April 19, 2009, 06:49:56 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
for me, the problem that we have is something that we will battle all playoffs: size in the front court.

the lack of KG does so many things, but the biggest IMO is make it that much easier for teams to get to the rim and also prevents us from throwing a giant guy at perimeter guys (trapping on penetration and extending to open shooters).

KG makes it okay that both Leon and Baby are undersized (height-wise) and let's them do what they do best  - wreak havoc on the blocks with their strength.

Like Max was saying on the radio the other day, KG is a legit 7 foot and has great wingspan.

against CHI, he would severely limit the penetration of Rose and Gordon and he would stop Noah from rebounding over the top with the first unit.

That said, I'm not giving up hope. I still love watching this team and am hopeful that if we make it deeper into to the playoffs, we will get KG back for some time...

Re: size matters
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 10:02:12 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I thought this post was going to be about something else... but yes, in professional basketball tall players do help, especially when they are coordinated (see: Patrick O'Bryant for the converse)  KG was obviously a big part of the defense, but the team can adjust.  The Bulls simply came out with intensity that the c's lacked - it was like when we played ATL in ATL last year, same deal - the celtics are the champs, and they will match up better in game 2 - then need to steal one in Chicago and we're back to where we should be

When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009, 10:20:02 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Ainge's decision to pass on Mutombo to sign Moore a few weeks later keeps looking more and more weird as the time goes by.

Anyway, the importance of Garnett to the defense can't be overstated. I don't know if size is all that important though. It's a mix of traits: his combination of size, agility and quickness, the awareness, the way he communicates, the intelligence, the technique, the effort.

Without KG, this team is nowhere near of being a top defensive team - it's just an average one. The remaining bigs are just too slow and too reactive to do what Garnett can do.

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 11:03:22 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
TP cordobes...You just about covered it all...in case you left out mental/physical toughness,i'll add that as well.

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 11:14:42 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Ainge's decision to pass on Mutombo to sign Moore a few weeks later keeps looking more and more weird as the time goes by.

Anyway, the importance of Garnett to the defense can't be overstated. I don't know if size is all that important though. It's a mix of traits: his combination of size, agility and quickness, the awareness, the way he communicates, the intelligence, the technique, the effort.

Without KG, this team is nowhere near of being a top defensive team - it's just an average one. The remaining bigs are just too slow and too reactive to do what Garnett can do.

well, i agree that it's not "just" size, but i think we have most of the other things you are talking about in Powe and Baby except for the height component. That is to say, Baby's and Powe's lack of height is a problem right now with KG out.

Mutumbo would certainly be a big help. Especially in this series.

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 11:44:30 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
If you recall, this was a problem last year against Atlanta, even with KG.  Easy layups that Davis and Powe were getting in the regular season against backups weren't coming easy against big front lines who can alter shots.  And now that's compounded by the problem that they're playing even more against good, tall players.  Baby had a layup he just missed in overtime.  Against a scrub off the bench, he makes that. 

I also agree with the OP's remark that KG for all intents and purposes is the center on this team when he plays alongside Powe or Davis.  Not having that now is tough. 

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 12:17:18 PM »

Offline Txusberg

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
I know that everybody will jump against me but if it is a matter of size, we have another legit 7 footer on the bench with a nice mid range jump shot. He is not KG neither in the defensive end nor in the offensive end but it could be effective in certain situations of the game when the other team penetrates at will. The combo Perk and Moore has length at least and it could work at certain point IMO even with Moore limitations.

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 12:49:12 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I know that everybody will jump against me but if it is a matter of size, we have another legit 7 footer on the bench with a nice mid range jump shot. He is not KG neither in the defensive end nor in the offensive end but it could be effective in certain situations of the game when the other team penetrates at will. The combo Perk and Moore has length at least and it could work at certain point IMO even with Moore limitations.

I think Moore's size, on a run out, would have bothered Thomas' shots.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 03:30:45 PM »

Offline Spfldkid

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 30

POB was 7 ft too, a real shot blocker...too bad he is doing it up in Canada, where they PLAY him, he posts and scores (.500 avg) blocks shots, like he did here....could have easily kept him on the roster.....thanks doc.....you need to adjust that thread title though....

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 03:56:48 PM »

Offline Spfldkid

• Derrick White

You are right there Chief, Moore could and should be all over Noah, besides, they look like......relativesw of a sort....? TP for you!

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 04:01:30 PM »

Offline Spfldkid

• Derrick White
Thomas killed BBD, shooting over him, he could have played him for the shot and told a teammate to play him for the roll just once..! He can jump...you block a shooters shot once...he will think twice b4 trying that doo-doo again..!, With Moore inside, he could have tried that, where was Perk when skinny-noah was dunking..i like Perk, but he can get lost wayyy too often, how hard is it to cover the paint....? No, don't try to tell ME, i know some about playing....! (lets stay on the subject, which isn't me).

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 04:35:09 PM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'

I agree with all of this, but I don't remember Danny "passing" on Mutumbo, I thought he was happy to stay in Houston?  No?