Author Topic: David Stern is an evil man.  (Read 5136 times)

David Stern is an evil man.
« on: May 18, 2008, 01:44:04 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3401899&categoryId=2378529&n8pe6c=2 This video from ESPN has caused me to loose respect for many of the NBA players (Barkely), and gain even more hate for Stern and LeBron. Watching the video, you can tell that Stern is blatantly lying, much like how he lied when interviewed during the Hawks/Celtics series about the game being "just as physical as any other playoff game." BS.

Become Legendary.

Re: David Stern is an evil man.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 02:02:07 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
This is a touchy subject, and I'm not even sure it can be discussed without breaking the rules (which prohibit discussion of politics).  I'm not going to lock it yet, because it's an interesting topic and video, but please keep the rules in mind. -R.H.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 02:37:32 PM »

Offline vl819

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 19
Its obvious that all Stern cares about is making $$

Sad.

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 03:09:26 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
How can you tell Stern is lying?  I would say that Thomas is the presumed liar until he can show that letter.  Stern is too smart to write him a letter with that content. 

I'm going to assume that Stern is basically the CEO of the NBA.  It is his job to make the NBA successful and grow.  That is exactly why they are headed to China.  I can't believe it took them this long.

If a person has ever slept at a holiday inn while wearing a pair of nikes and drinking a coke, then that person has also supported a company that is in China.  Unless you have banned all products that are also sold in China from your household then you can't criticize the NBA for selling their product too.

The American and world economy would collapse if there was not trade with China.  So unless we are ready to pay more for our daily expenses, stop complaining.  Do something about it.  Don't invest in companies that do business in China.  Don't buy goods from China...  I'm not trying to get political, but talk more economics. 

My point is that Stern is doing his job.  Yes, he could take a stand and make it a politcal move, but that isn't his job.  He isn't a politician (even though he acts like one). 

Also, I agree that Barkley is an idiot when it comes to politics.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 03:32:57 PM »

Offline 44Thrilla

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 59
Yeah, I don't get the connection between sports and activism. Stern should definitely be tolerant towards players who want to speak out, but it shouldn't be his duty to take political stances or encourage players to speak out or not speak out against anything. He has a right to do business in China, and he'd be stupid not to. Nothing he does is going to change anything that goes on there, and he's not supporting the government by earning money in China with his American company.

I also don't understand why people look to athletes for their stances on this stuff. Who cares? They are not political figures, just regular people who happen to live a high profile life and make a ton of money. They should be free to have whatever opinion they want(within reason, obviously) without criticism from anybody.

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 05:25:42 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
This is a touchy subject, and I'm not even sure it can be discussed without breaking the rules (which prohibit discussion of politics).  I'm not going to lock it yet, because it's an interesting topic and video, but please keep the rules in mind. -R.H.

i'm not discussing politics, aka whether view or the stance on places such as darfur are correct or not, but rather the actions taken with the nba, in my opinion, to censor players. in my opinion, players should be able to say what they want to about politics, for they are just as much of a citizen as anyone else. the letter issue is that many things in the nba have been questionable lately. while this did not start with the ref betting, it sure did raise a few eyebrows to where i really do think that stern wrote the letter, especially by the way of his response.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 07:24:05 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2583
This video doesn't impact my views on Stern or Lebron. It lays between the lines the possibility of a 'blacklisting' of sorts but offers little evidence that Stern ever engaged in an effort to silence NBA players.  I can certainly understand be supicious of David Stern, however, this piece offers nothing substantive in my view to condemn him.  More information needed.   

As for Lebron, he is probably wise to not have his name on something he knows little about. Let's remember that this is a 23 year old who people expect to have the savvy of a 50 year old.  When all is said and done with the Olympics, perhaps we'll see Lebron making a stand.  But expecting a 23 year old basketball player to navigate the onslaught of politcal waters that he faces as a world famous figure -- I actually think his smartest first move is probably to make any no major stands or commitments (no knee-jerk reactions).  Eventually, with knowledge and wisdom, perhaps he'll begin to take some political risks. 

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 09:44:40 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
This doesn't change my views on LeBron/Stern, but reinforces them.  This is outright sickening.

Thanks to the OP for posting this.  I can't believe ESPN and the NBA can fool people with this Edited.

Edited
Brick please,No masked profanity.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 10:48:20 PM by Edgar »
God bless and good night!

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 11:21:06 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
that was an awesome video, thanks for posting!

i think it was humorous for stern to say etan was lying, when etan had no motive to lie, but stern did.

my personal feeling is that athletes should not feel pressured, nor be criticized if they do not get involved in activism.  it is their right to participate, if at all.  i think it is great when they do, but they shouldnt be criticized and do no have a responsibility to do so.  their responsibility is to play ball.  anything they do beyond that is their personal choice and no one elses.

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 11:45:09 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Its obvious that all Stern cares about is making $$

Sad.

He wouldn't be very good at what he does if he didn't now, would he?

But it's OK - the NBA Cares... ::)
God bless and good night!

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 11:54:03 PM »

Offline BASSTHUMPER

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 352
CREAM....

cash rules everything around me "cream" get the money..dolla dolla bill yall.....!!!

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 12:16:24 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
CREAM....

cash rules everything around me "cream" get the money..dolla dolla bill yall.....!!!

the dark lord is down with the WU!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwWWUsHRZ6k

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 12:35:08 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
great video!
My reaction:
david stern...really? are you really saying that, mr. commisioner?...wow
another sad truth of the world...