Author Topic: Warriors (22-22) at Celtics (33-12) Game #46 1/19/23  (Read 22588 times)

Re: Warriors (22-22) at Celtics (33-12) Game #46 1/19/23
« Reply #615 on: January 20, 2023, 10:37:49 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 617
This is a tough one to dissect. Looking at points in the paint and rebounds, we should've blown them out. I would like to say that this was an abnormally bad shooting night, but it's not when it comes to GS. They have to overcome this mental block they have, otherwise if we meet again in the finals it might end the same as the last time.

I think the mental side of the game is the one thing stopping this team from making the leap from really good to really great.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #616 on: January 20, 2023, 10:38:45 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • On To Banner 18!
Still hope someone actually beats Golden State in the playoffs. They just match up well against us and it's not just Curry/Thompson, feels like the others like Looney, Poole, etc. also go nuclear against us at times which is very annoying
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #617 on: January 20, 2023, 11:03:30 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 550
I was at last night's game. Quick takes - Jaylen's timing was off due to the layoff. Joe being Joe stuck with him however, and he rewarded the coach with a couple of big buckets in OT.

It was interesting to me that Joe went big for much of the first half. Front line of Al, Rob and Tatum with Kornet getting a lot of minutes (some of which I think were Grant's).  It wasn't super successful, but it was an interesting approach given that you would think he'd want White and Brogdon in there to get after GS's perimeter guys.

We certainly missed enough shots to create some offensive rebounding opportunities.

We also got some insight into how Joe will approach the playoffs.  Forget starters - their best (or closing) lineup is Smart/Brogdon/Jaylen/Tatum/Al.  That group logged heavy minutes with only Al getting a break at the start of OT when Rob came in for him. If they all stay healthy, that's the group they'll hang their hat on when it counts.

GS gives them problems from a style standpoint. They contest everything and are great at taking advantage of the C's constant struggles to handle the basketball. That's not likely to change.

The keys for the C's vs these guys are their perimeter defense and 3 pt shooting. Their D was very good in the 4Q and OT compared to the first half. Then it was a matter of knocking down some shots, which they finally did late in the game.

The refs were ridiculous with their touch fouls but the C's also were in the bonus just 4 minutes into the 4Q. That may have paved the way for the comeback because GS may have had to temper their aggressiveness defensively.

Grant continues to not play very well.  Interesting development. Also doesn't seem like the coach is afraid to take some minutes away.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 11:20:41 AM by Kuberski33 »

« Reply #618 on: January 20, 2023, 11:07:13 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
Tatum played 48 minutes tonight  :o
Forgot to note this. Maybe give Prtitchard a few of those minutes...Hauser or someone so Tatum doesn't break down at some point?  I get that it's a statement type of game but if you overplay any NBA player chances increase that they eventually break down. Keep in mind that Tatum actually plays defense unlike a lot of the top level guys.

« Reply #619 on: January 20, 2023, 12:09:29 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 445
I have to say this was one of the worst wins ever. We tried hard to give this away after getting the OT lead which was a miracle in itself. We can't stop Poole? Klay?

3 bad turnovers by Tatum. One horrendous turnover by Smart late OT which costs us a 3 and the second almost identical blotch which JB saved miraculously and we survived.

I am thrilled we won but not happy with the process. It feels dirty. C'mon we played like we were red headed step children most of the game. Even RW III early was lost on a lot of rebounds and defensive plays. I don't know but we shouldn't have won that but very happy that we did.

« Reply #620 on: January 20, 2023, 12:13:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We won despite ourselves, enjoy it.  Savor the win!   It was an ugly win but at least Curry wasn't dancing around like a punk at the end of the game like he did at half time. 

« Reply #621 on: January 20, 2023, 12:13:48 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • On To Banner 18!
Forgot to note this. Maybe give Prtitchard a few of those minutes...Hauser or someone so Tatum doesn't break down at some point?  I get that it's a statement type of game but if you overplay any NBA player chances increase that they eventually break down. Keep in mind that Tatum actually plays defense unlike a lot of the top level guys.

Sit Tatum out this Saturday
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #622 on: January 20, 2023, 12:44:50 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
We won despite ourselves, enjoy it.  Savor the win!   It was an ugly win but at least Curry wasn't dancing around like a punk at the end of the game like he did at half time.
They've also won 8 in a row, now I believe.

« Reply #623 on: January 20, 2023, 01:44:26 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
Still hope someone actually beats Golden State in the playoffs. They just match up well against us and it's not just Curry/Thompson, feels like the others like Looney, Poole, etc. also go nuclear against us at times which is very annoying

I think the opposite is true, we match up very well against them. It's why we've dominated them in the regular season for years.

We lost in the finals last year because we were beat up and Tatum was out of gas, and Curry played great. Most times, I think a matchup against them is a gift.

« Reply #624 on: January 20, 2023, 02:10:30 PM »

Online tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 493

This is why a trade is needed.  Gallo was supposed to take some of the load off Tatum.  The C's need a backup wing.  Someone that can take minutes off of Tatum and Brown in the Regular Season.  We need Tatum and Brown fresh going into the playoffs.  Last year the Miami and Milwaukee series just wore them down.  They had nothing left for the Finals while GSW were well rested.

« Reply #625 on: January 20, 2023, 03:11:12 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
Golden State: Stephen Curry (left hip tightness), Klay Thompson (right achilles tendon injury management), Draymond Green (right great toe soreness) and Andrew Wiggins (left foot soreness) have been downgraded to out for Friday’s game against Cleveland. Jonathan Kuminga (right foot sprain) and JaMychal Green (right lower leg infection) are probable. – via Alberto De Roa @ HoopsHype

Wow, they are playing nobody in this back to back.  All the sweeter that we were able to salvage a win.

« Reply #626 on: January 20, 2023, 05:14:45 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Warrior official pulled Brad Stevens aside in the back hallway last night to let him know it did not go unnoticed that he stood outside the Golden State dressing room and shook the hand of every Warrior player and coach after the Game 6 Finals clincher... In fact, it resonated.

Steve Bulpett
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #627 on: January 20, 2023, 11:48:26 PM »

Online LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 399
Brown played like garbage for most of the night. Coming back from injury will do that to you. Boy he looked rusty. And Marcus Smart was trick or treat. Ehh I guess that’s what we’ll expect from him. Big plays, for better or worse.

Ngl, I thought our bigs carried us for most of this game. Horford came to play like he was in Milwaukee lol and the dubs don’t have the personnel to contain TL. Ugly game but I still like a healthy C’s in a 7-game series, especially if brown and Tatum are clicking

Come trade deadline, Hauser needs to step up or we need to get lucky getting someone via vet min. Fortunately, being the best team in the league and one of the faves likely makes us a good landing spot for ring chasers. I think a back up wing who can shoot would be welcome and a second priority is a back up big who is agile (Kornet actually does a decent job maximizing his height imo and can play well vs big lineups)

- LilRip

« Reply #628 on: January 21, 2023, 06:15:20 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Brown played like garbage for most of the night. Coming back from injury will do that to you. Boy he looked rusty. And Marcus Smart was trick or treat. Ehh I guess that’s what we’ll expect from him. Big plays, for better or worse.

Ngl, I thought our bigs carried us for most of this game. Horford came to play like he was in Milwaukee lol and the dubs don’t have the personnel to contain TL. Ugly game but I still like a healthy C’s in a 7-game series, especially if brown and Tatum are clicking

Come trade deadline, Hauser needs to step up or we need to get lucky getting someone via vet min. Fortunately, being the best team in the league and one of the faves likely makes us a good landing spot for ring chasers. I think a back up wing who can shoot would be welcome and a second priority is a back up big who is agile (Kornet actually does a decent job maximizing his height imo and can play well vs big lineups)

Last night was the playoff lineup. It showed who Joe Mazz is going to count on when the business end of the season comes around. I don't think Hauser figures in that. But yes it would be good to have some players to save our starters some wear and tear. Personally I think Hauser's been found out - he was somewhat of an unknown quantity before this season but after his great November teams started to game plan for him.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #629 on: January 21, 2023, 11:59:23 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 445
Personally I think Hauser's been found out - he was somewhat of an unknown quantity before this season but after his great November teams started to game plan for him.

How do they "game plan" for Hauser? They leave him wide open? Sorry but I had to say it.