Author Topic: Derrick White currently has highest avg plus minus in Celtic history  (Read 4345 times)

Re: Derrick White currently has highest avg plus minus in Celtic history
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2023, 04:36:08 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar
This is gold.

https://www.celticsblog.com/2022/2/11/22929311/sorry-folks-derrick-white-trade-disaster-josh-richardson-jayson-tatum-jaylen-brown-romeo-langford

Haha

Yeah that didn't age well

To be fair, he did offer a caveat at the beginning:

Back when newspapers were more important institutions, they had general sports columnists who’d write scathing one-sided columns, devoid of any acknowledgement to the opposing argument. In that spirit, while I’m not a fan of the Derrick White trade, my actual opinions are more nuanced. I understand that it’s absurd to judge a trade less than 24 hours after it’s made. Regardless, I enjoyed writing this hit piece from the perspective of a blowhard writer.
He did indeed.  But, I would say he was no less wrong.  No nuance needed, this trade is a homerun, and always had the good possibility of being a homerun.

I would also disagree that these hit pieces are relics from a byegone era. If anything, the inflammatory "hot take" is more popular than ever, both from media and fans.

Yeah, rage bait drives clicks.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2023, 03:19:51 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
https://twitter.com/taylorcsnow/status/1640176840210894849?s=46&t=mKapj_L9yUz61wFRcR3Wew

Still a couple of weeks to go but does anyone still miss that pick swap?  Or think he and J Rich are basically the same player?  Obviously Brad knew what kind of player white was.  And the spurs did too, hence the asking price.

Yet it was still a steal for the Celts.

I liked the trade but I'm a little embarrassed that I was concerned about the pick swap with San Antonio. He gives us a chance now and that's much more important than what we could get down the line with that pick.

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2023, 03:45:23 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 891
https://twitter.com/taylorcsnow/status/1640176840210894849?s=46&t=mKapj_L9yUz61wFRcR3Wew

Still a couple of weeks to go but does anyone still miss that pick swap?  Or think he and J Rich are basically the same player?  Obviously Brad knew what kind of player white was.  And the spurs did too, hence the asking price.

I liked the trade but I'm a little embarrassed that I was concerned about the pick swap with San Antonio. He gives us a chance now and that's much more important than what we could get down the line with that pick.

It is a pick swap though (in 2028).  The only way a pick swap conveys is if we have a worse pick than SAS.  The most likely result is that this pick does not convey.  And worst case, we still get SAS's pick.  Right now, this is what we have given up:

Richardson  (Traded for Devonte Graham and 4-seconds)
Langford  (still can't stay on the court)
Blake Wesley (25th pick in 2022)

There is always a chance that by 2028, things turn upside down and the Celtics are actually in position for a better pick that SAS.  I don't see this as a steal.  SAS currently has Devonte Graham, Romeo Langford, and Blake Wesley, plus a bunch of NOP seconds, and may get to improve their pick in 2028 (albeit unlikely).  SAS did OK in this too.  But White has certainly proved a lot of people to be really wrong.

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2023, 05:01:07 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1041

It is a pick swap though (in 2028).  The only way a pick swap conveys is if we have a worse pick than SAS.  The most likely result is that this pick does not convey.  And worst case, we still get SAS's pick.  Right now, this is what we have given up:

Richardson  (Traded for Devonte Graham and 4-seconds)
Langford  (still can't stay on the court)
Blake Wesley (25th pick in 2022)

There is always a chance that by 2028, things turn upside down and the Celtics are actually in position for a better pick that SAS.  I don't see this as a steal.  SAS currently has Devonte Graham, Romeo Langford, and Blake Wesley, plus a bunch of NOP seconds, and may get to improve their pick in 2028 (albeit unlikely).  SAS did OK in this too.  But White has certainly proved a lot of people to be really wrong.

All of this won't mean anything though if/when we win a chip before 2028  8)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2023, 11:46:49 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 751
White being this good has crystallized the rotation in a way that I love. Him being good enough that it makes the most sense to start him means that the two best players coming off the bench are a combo guard and a big, instead of two combo guards. It feels like everything has fallen into place, just in time.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2023, 02:06:30 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2583
White being this good has crystallized the rotation in a way that I love. Him being good enough that it makes the most sense to start him means that the two best players coming off the bench are a combo guard and a big, instead of two combo guards. It feels like everything has fallen into place, just in time.

I keep thinking that the Cs added Malcolm Brogden and traded 21-22 Derrick White for 22-23 Derrick White.    Adding these solid starters to the eastern conference champions is impressive.  Love what both Malcolm and Derrick bring almost every game. 

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2023, 10:03:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572

I keep thinking that the Cs added Malcolm Brogden and traded 21-22 Derrick White for 22-23 Derrick White.    Adding these solid starters to the eastern conference champions is impressive.  Love what both Malcolm and Derrick bring almost every game.
I'd feel a lot better if we had 21-22 versions of Smart, Horford, and Rob. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2023, 05:51:55 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 630
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

I'd feel a lot better if we had 21-22 versions of Smart, Horford, and Rob.

I do expect Al to level up in the playoffs, it’s what he does.

I don’t expect Rob to look like last year, he hasn’t this year at all.

The one I feel like we *should* have some control over is Marcus, because he’s played like an idiot loose cannon since White emerged.

If he can focus on defense and low turnover playmaking with the occasional post up like last year, we are the title favorites. But recently he seems insistent on making risky passes, driving into traffic, and forcing shots. Basically what he was before the second half of last year, when we weren’t good enough to make the finals.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2023, 10:11:20 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I mean, I’m to the point now where I feel guilty about the White trade