Author Topic: I love him -- I hate him  (Read 6725 times)

Re: I love him -- I hate him
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2019, 10:41:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I love Marcus. No qualification, I just striaght love him.

That said, there are 4-5 players on the team I'd rather see taking the final shot, generally speaking.

He just doesn't learn does he? Why try the layup when all you need to do is dribble out some clock and go through a set.
What a ridiculous criticism. Guy gets the clutch steal, has an open lay-up, gets obviously fouled with no call, and is lambasted by Celts fans
Especially since he couldn't run the clock out. If the shot clock is off, you bring it out and make them foul. But an open run at the basket and not being able to run out the clock, you go for the layup. And as you said, the man was fouled. It was the right move.

It was close but here's the time when that play occurred.

25.6      Buddy Hield blocks Marcus Smart 's 2-foot two point shot   102 - 103

I think the only mistake was Smart not making that shot.
If Smart made that shot, there would be no issue.
Yeah, and he took the shot after 3 seconds went off the clock so there was almost 5 seconds left over for Sacramento. So as you said, the only thing he did wrong was not making the shot after getting fouled, though the foul wasn't called.

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2019, 10:48:43 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
I love Marcus. No qualification, I just striaght love him.

That said, there are 4-5 players on the team I'd rather see taking the final shot, generally speaking.

He just doesn't learn does he? Why try the layup when all you need to do is dribble out some clock and go through a set.
What a ridiculous criticism. Guy gets the clutch steal, has an open lay-up, gets obviously fouled with no call, and is lambasted by Celts fans
Especially since he couldn't run the clock out. If the shot clock is off, you bring it out and make them foul. But an open run at the basket and not being able to run out the clock, you go for the layup. And as you said, the man was fouled. It was the right move.

It was close but here's the time when that play occurred.

25.6      Buddy Hield blocks Marcus Smart 's 2-foot two point shot   102 - 103

I think the only mistake was Smart not making that shot.
If Smart made that shot, there would be no issue.
Yeah, and he took the shot after 3 seconds went off the clock so there was almost 5 seconds left over for Sacramento. So as you said, the only thing he did wrong was not making the shot after getting fouled, though the foul wasn't called.

Agree.

But to Smart's credit, he was amazing in this game.

I think Smart will win defensive player of the year this season.

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2019, 06:55:18 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 153
In the past I have felt the same way, but in fairness to Smart he's been much better this year.  His shot has been a lot nicer, and he's playing smarter (no pun intended) and making far fewer bad decisions.  Given how much better he's paying (something I've wanted to see from him for years) I'm willing to forgive him those occasional bad shots that he still takes.