Author Topic: Sean Grande will not be Gorman's replacement  (Read 49038 times)

Re: Sean Grande will not be Gorman's replacement
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2023, 05:31:00 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Drew Carter was on for the second quarter of the Philly preseason broadcast.

Scal was giving him a hard time and he didn’t seem to like it. Good chemistry so far.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2023, 05:46:03 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Scal was giving him a hard time and he didn’t seem to like it. Good chemistry so far.

Was that on NBC Sports Boston? I missed that telecast and had to watch the game on demand at NBA.com and got stuck with Mowins and JJ  :-\

Mowins was ok...I don't mind her college football commentary, but JJ kept talking over her and didn't give her a chance to speak.

What do you mean Drew didn't seem to like it? Can you provide some examples? That's going to make for a fun regular season then  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2023, 07:49:30 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Was that on NBC Sports Boston? I missed that telecast and had to watch the game on demand at NBA.com and got stuck with Mowins and JJ  :-\

Mowins was ok...I don't mind her college football commentary, but JJ kept talking over her and didn't give her a chance to speak.

What do you mean Drew didn't seem to like it? Can you provide some examples? That's going to make for a fun regular season then  :angel:

He's doing the game tonight on NBCSports Boston. The whole team is taking the night off, though
I'm bitter.

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2023, 07:56:16 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked

He's doing the game tonight on NBCSports Boston. The whole team is taking the night off, though

I actually think their banter tonight is quite good for first timers.
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2023, 08:17:19 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

I actually think their banter tonight is quite good for first timers.

Yup I mentioned in the game thread that I like him so far. Doesn’t talk too much and been interacting with Scal pretty well so far

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2023, 08:18:48 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Mispost

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2023, 04:56:28 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
I must say Drew Carter has been a pleasant surprise thus far. He seems to have great rapport with Scal and he has good timing on his commentary. Not trying to talk too much, like Grande, doesn't pontificate as much either, and has a pleasant sounding voice. And it's clear he's either done his research or has a cheat sheet in front of him  :angel:

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2023, 06:54:09 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
This is what we have in store...

https://twitter.com/BOSSportsGordo/status/1710013405073981915

I said he's got the voice.  He's a natural like Joe Buck is but he's on a local broadcast.

It's funny, I thought the same thing, but in the negative.

I hate Joe Buck.  I don't like his sound.  He has that stereotypical fake vanilla almost-monotonish-but-not-quite personalityless sounding broadcaster voice.

My personal view is this: can you picture sitting around the dinner table and having a random conversation with Joe Buck?  I can't.  Whereas guys like Gorman, Grande, even our old friend Kyle Draper have more of a "casual conversation" voice.  These are the type of people I want to sit around the table talking with, and these are the people I want to hear broadcasting games.  Even guys like Breen or Mark Jones, I see them more like regular person (with personality) who turns on their broadcasting voice for work, as opposed to strait-laced Joe Buck or the Joe Buck clones.

On a related note, since the ESPN layoffs earlier in the year, I've been wondering how important the broadcast teams even are?  Do they really impact ratings at all?  I've never turned a game on or off because of the broadcast team, except in situations where there's a simultaneous national and local broadcast, I'll go with the team I prefer more, but usually there's no competition.

I really liked Van Gundy, but I don't see myself watching more or less games because he's not there now.  I'm going to watch the same amount of games while ABC/ESPN saves a ton of money.  Is a casual fan drawn in because of the broadcast crew or because of the action on the field/court?  Do these networks really need to invest much at all in the broadcast crew? 

I guess the most extreme is people like BitterJim who mute the game, and miss the sponsored plugs for the American Express half time report, or the FanDuel replay, etc.  But I would think even that would be so extreme and minor, it's not really worth investing more in the broadcast team.

Do other people view it differently?  Of course we'd all prefer a broadcast team we really enjoy, but in the end for the majority of fans, does it really matter or influence anything?
I don't think most people really care, no.

As you point out, most sports fans are typically not particularly discerning as long as the game as broadcast live and in high-fidelity - consider the league-wide percentage of the fandom who are actively anti-gambling gambling, for example. Are they going to stop watching because the league has decided to cash in? A small minority, perhaps, but most will swallow their disdain and watch the games anyway, even if they would prefer not to see gambling ads.

I, for example, can't stand Mark Jackson or Hubie Brown, but because I like basketball I endure(d) them. No one is going to be a 1:1 replacement for Mike & Tommy, but that's impossible, so as long as the new folks are competent, I don't really mind.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2023, 07:27:47 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I must say Drew Carter has been a pleasant surprise thus far. He seems to have great rapport with Scal and he has good timing on his commentary. Not trying to talk too much, like Grande, doesn't pontificate as much either, and has a pleasant sounding voice. And it's clear he's either done his research or has a cheat sheet in front of him  :angel:
I'm on board with Drew. He's got an excellent 'radio' voice and he doesn't try too hard to come up with useless cute stuff like some of those national announcers. He seems to know the game pretty well too.

I'm a big fan of Sean Grande and would have been happy with him too.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 07:46:27 AM by Surferdad »

« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2023, 08:32:04 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I'm on board with Drew. He's got an excellent 'radio' voice and he doesn't try too hard to come up with useless cute stuff like some of those national announcers. He seems to know the game pretty well too.

I'm a big fan of Sean Grande and would have been happy with him too.

I like him too.  Not all of his humor sticks, but o think he’ll hone that in a bit.  He seems to be genuinely excited about the game and intelligent. 
Yup

« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2023, 08:48:07 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm warming up on the kid.   

Scal still tends to drive me nuts, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2023, 10:12:48 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I like Drew as well. Though I'd like someone with a more unique voice, someone that you can recognize right off the bat, and I don't think he has that type of voice, but he does his job well.