Author Topic: Did the warriors dodge a bullet by not signing Durant?  (Read 3574 times)

Did the warriors dodge a bullet by not signing Durant?
« on: July 16, 2019, 06:57:54 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He will come back at 32 and recovering from an Achilles injury

Achilles is unforgiving and so is father time

The nets will be crossing their fingers for the next 3 years hoping Durant comes back to form

Re: Did the warriors dodge a bullet by not signing Durant?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 07:08:49 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
They could've started Durant at center. They would have been fine.

He is big enough and skilled enough to survive a large loss in explosive quickness and agility ... and still be a dominant player in the NBA.

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 07:10:15 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I think so. He's old, it's a tough injury to return from, particularly for a taller player, and he also had a history of foot injuries in the past. All signs point to his lower legs/feet breaking down from the continuous stress he puts on them with his game and body size imo.

The Nets took a big gamble on signing him and getting Deandre Jordan too.

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 07:19:30 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
I don't think they would've resigned him, regardless of his injury or where he wanted to stay or not. The luxury tax would have been to a degree the league has never seen.

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 07:21:48 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I don't think they would've resigned him, regardless of his injury or where he wanted to stay or not. The luxury tax would have been to a degree the league has never seen.

They reportedly offered him the full max. He turned it down.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 07:36:41 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

Yeah, I've read that and don't believe it (or else they were paying Durant and letting KT walk). No way they were paying $350 million in payroll.

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 07:43:44 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Talent-wise, I think he will be just fine - not unbelievable, but at a lower-end max range player. I agree that they definitely dodged the luxury tax bullet, though. They wouldn't even be among the favorites to win next year and would have been paying an astronomical amount of money for the honor of going to WCSF.

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2019, 07:59:00 PM »

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
The idea of "dodging a bullet" by having the luxury of signing a player who is in all likelihood going to return as a better version of 2011 Dirk to a team with three other NBA All-Stars is a bit ludicrous, to be honest.

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 09:42:47 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
At worst, Slim Reaper will go from being top 1 or 2 in the NBA to top 10...I seriously doubt he will lose much.

His skillset will carry him far. Additionally - he showed me IMMENSE toughness by attempting to play in the condition he was in..

Make no mistake about it GSW will miss him and BOS will have our hands full with both him and Kyrie.

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2019, 09:43:26 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550

Yeah, I've read that and don't believe it (or else they were paying Durant and letting KT walk). No way they were paying $350 million in payroll.
They Maxed out KT and acquired Russell who is making 27M.  They most certainly would have Maxed out KT and signed KD for 38M instead.  They were never going to pay 350M.  Getting rid of Iggy and Livingston saved them big bucks. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 10:02:27 PM by tazzmaniac »

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 10:56:10 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3176
I would say maybe to this question. It will totally depend on how well Durant comes back. The Achilles is the worst injury to come back from....

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2019, 11:43:30 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46

This!   And the only way to find out is to wait and see.   They will either Dodge it, bite it or it grazes them. LOL
They Maxed out KT and acquired Russell who is making 27M.  They most certainly would have Maxed out KT and signed KD for 38M instead.  They were never going to pay 350M.  Getting rid of Iggy and Livingston saved them big bucks.
Diggles

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 01:22:40 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
He will still be giving them 24/6/4 atleast but he will be slower on defense that's for sure, less explosive but very much still an AS.. I'd say he will still be worth it.

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 02:22:14 AM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
Even if he loses like 15% of what he once was he's still an all star level player.

So no.

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2019, 09:00:34 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
It's hard to answer this question, considering the Warriors forced Durant to play, while it was clear he wasn't ready.

So, they forced him into that position

If I really wanted to be cynical, I would venture to say they knew he was going to leave, so they didn't care about his health.

And Bob Myers' fake tears....please!