Author Topic: Any Verizon smartphone users here?  (Read 2314 times)

Any Verizon smartphone users here?
« on: March 09, 2009, 06:53:14 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I am eligible for my discounted upgrade and have been going back and forth on what to get.  Most of my confusion is over my plan.... currently I have a basic call and text plan that costs me $30 a month.  I am staunchly against any $90+ type plan to get call, text, email, web, navigation, etc.... but I just learned that I can add Version's "Email and Web" plan for $29.99 and get unlimited email and web usage.

I think I've decided that if I can find a smartphone that won't make me pull my hair out and has solid mobile internet, I will probably get that plan.

I've looked at the Samsung Omnia, Blackberry Curve 8330, and Blackberry 8830 so far... but haven't played with them enough to know if I'd like them. 

Does anybody here have any personal knowledge or advice on the matter?

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: Any Verizon smartphone users here?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 07:25:15 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
Don't get the Blackberry storm.

I have one, it is horrible.

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 07:28:24 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
BT,

I went looking at Blackberry's the other day and decided the extra $30 a month wasn't worth it for me (but I'm not a texter, and I can go without being on the web for a few minutes a day!).  I decied to keep my run of the mill phone.

For what it's worth the Verizon place I wnet to wasn't even offering the new whatcha-ma-callit pjone that was there answer to the I-phone - they're just not "there yet".

Here is a thread from November that might help.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=23813.0
Yup

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 07:29:02 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

I think that was the "watcha-ma-callit" I was thinking of
Yup

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 07:45:13 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
BT,

I went looking at Blackberry's the other day and decided the extra $30 a month wasn't worth it for me (but I'm not a texter, and I can go without being on the web for a few minutes a day!).  I decied to keep my run of the mill phone.

For what it's worth the Verizon place I wnet to wasn't even offering the new whatcha-ma-callit pjone that was there answer to the I-phone - they're just not "there yet".

Here is a thread from November that might help.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=23813.0

Thanks Redz, I'm hoping I'll come to my senses and realize it's not worth $30/month to have the internet at my fingertips... I don't even get that many emails worth reading/replying to anyways... and if anything a touchscreen phone would just make calling/texting more of a pain in the neck... decisions, decisions!

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 08:03:04 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

I think that was the "watcha-ma-callit" I was thinking of

Yea it is a P-O-S.

I would never suggest anyone get it.  If it wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg to get a new phone and get out of this one, I would.  It's junk.  They were somehow behind schedule yet the phone resembles a phone that was rushed to the market.

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 08:45:49 PM »

Offline BuckeyeCelt

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 41
My wife and I have had the 8830 for 2 years now and absolutely loved it.  It is solid, small and the best phone I have ever owned.  I would highly recommend Blackberry to anyone...

If you are looking for info on blackberry's www.crackberry.com is a great site...check out the forums.  The new Blackberry Niagra is due to come out in May (essentially the 8830's replacement) it should be that much sweeter.

The Storm is only for tech weenies who like to play with new toys and see what they can make it do (like myself), but the 8830 is a very solid, accessible, and powerful phone and I would presume the Niagra will follow in it's footsteps.

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 08:51:04 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
My wife and I have had the 8830 for 2 years now and absolutely loved it.  It is solid, small and the best phone I have ever owned.  I would highly recommend Blackberry to anyone...

If you are looking for info on blackberry's www.crackberry.com is a great site...check out the forums.  The new Blackberry Niagra is due to come out in May (essentially the 8830's replacement) it should be that much sweeter.

The Storm is only for tech weenies who like to play with new toys and see what they can make it do (like myself), but the 8830 is a very solid, accessible, and powerful phone and I would presume the Niagra will follow in it's footsteps.

The problem with Crackberry is the 'tech weenies' love their blackberry's too much.   The phone is junk.

as for the original poster...if you dont feel that you would use the internet, dont waste your cash.  those phones can be great if you use their advanced qualities.  if not, you would be better off with a simpler phone that you will use all of the features on.  why pay extra for things you dont want or need? 

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 09:24:14 PM »

Offline celts4life

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
If you are looking for a smartphone, my main advice to you is to go into a store and play around with them.  Everyone's "feel" for technology is different, so you may like something that someone on this forum would not recommend.  And yes, you will likely be bothered by a salesperson, but given that it's a relatively large financial commitment, I'd say it's worth it.  If the salesperson factor really bothers you and you live near a shopping mall, you can always swing by a Verizon kiosk and you may have better luck experimenting with phones.  Kiosks are often manned by just one individual, so the odds of you getting some alone time with a phone are better.

Next, simply use the phone.  As you seem pretty open-minded, try a few different ones ... a QWERTY-keyboard smartphone, a touchscreen, etc.  Verizon has a pretty good selection of touchscreen devices beyond the BlackBerry Storm and Samsung Omnia, both previously mentioned.  There are a few made by LG and a couple others also produced by Samsung.  The responsiveness of the touchscreens will differ from phone to phone and, if that's the route you decide to go, be sure to try a few.  Don't just settle for the BlackBerry because it's a name brand or go for the Omnia because it's the first one the salesperson threw at you.  Pick the one that feels right.

If you decide that you aren't liking the touchscreen devices but are still interested in a smartphone, my advice there would be to find something that allows you to easily type and browse the internet.  Are the keys big enough for your fingers?  Is the internet application simple?  Does it have a big learning curve?  Obviously, each of these questions will matter more/less depending on how tech savvy you are, but it should be fairly easy for you to figure out.

Anyway, as you can see I like tech talk.  If you've got any other questions, post away!  

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 10:59:55 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I was thinking about getting a smart phone, but decided against it. The Data plan is too costly for features I won't use all that much. I barely check my e-mail, and I have access to the internet just about all the time.

If the data plan wasn't mandatory I'd probably still get one. As for the BlackBerry Storm, don't buy it. A friend of mines has had it for less than 2 months and he's already trying to sell it.