Poll

Will the Pacers trade Domantas Sabonis before the upcoming trade deadline?

Yes
13 (61.9%)
No
8 (38.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Rumor: Pacers are listening to trade offers for Domantas Sabonis  (Read 27315 times)

Re: Rumor: Pacers are listening to trade offers for Domantas Sabonis
« Reply #105 on: October 20, 2019, 03:03:55 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
So in trying to put the two reports together regarding Brown's and Sabonis' contract demands, have people's opinion changed on the matter?

For reference, Sabonis reportedly won't take less than $18M/yr over 4 years (Myles Turner contract) and Brown is reportedly close to signing for $120M over 4 years.

Would you rather have Sabonis at $18M/yr or Brown at $30M/yr? I have always been in the pro-Brown camp and believe his ceiling is higher moving forward, but I do wonder if Sabonis might represent better value at a position of more need.

Can you site that Brown report ?

« Reply #106 on: October 20, 2019, 03:34:36 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Would you rather have Sabonis at $18M/yr or Brown at $30M/yr? I have always been in the pro-Brown camp and believe his ceiling is higher moving forward, but I do wonder if Sabonis might represent better value at a position of more need.

For prices I would rather have Sabonis he is 14 and 9 guy.   But who moves to SG, Tatum or Hayward?

« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2019, 03:53:45 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
So in trying to put the two reports together regarding Brown's and Sabonis' contract demands, have people's opinion changed on the matter?

For reference, Sabonis reportedly won't take less than $18M/yr over 4 years (Myles Turner contract) and Brown is reportedly close to signing for $120M over 4 years.

Somebody (the user) posted it in the Jaylen Brown / $80M thread. Here is the tweet from Gilroy:

Celtics & Jalen Brown shockingly inching closer to an extension, not done yet but look for something around 4 years 120 million by Monday.

https://twitter.com/gilroyonhoops/status/1185759268269678592?s=21

Not promising that he couldn't spell Jaylen correctly, but the report sounds pretty definitive.

« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2019, 04:43:52 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52

The report about Sabonis' contract demands can't be taken at face value. I'm sure that is agent will want whatever market value is.

« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2019, 05:03:34 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52

For prices I would rather have Sabonis he is 14 and 9 guy.   But who moves to SG, Tatum or Hayward?
Probably Smart moves into the staring lineup, Tatum and Hayward stay at forward.

« Reply #110 on: October 20, 2019, 05:17:35 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
I think the point of Sabonis defense is being missed. The claim was that big men are more valuable. That is only true when a big provides a wider presence that improves the team defense. A subset of bigs do that. Most don't. Sabonis is not a terrible defender, but he just doesn't give a team the kind of rim protection and defensive size that makes a big worth more.

You could make an argument that Sabonis is a better player than Myles Turner. But Turner has the kind of defensive value that teams will overpay for.  Sabonis doesn't bring that.
Anyone who makes that argument is certifiably insane.

Sabonis is a good rebounder and post scorer. That's it. He doesn't space the floor and he isn't a particularly good defender. He is a smart defender, but his impact on that end of the floor is minimal. Think of him like Olynyk in that respect (although KO is probably even better because he has better lateral footspeed to switch high pick-and-rolls).

Turner is almost like Al Horford without the facilitating ability. He can score from anywhere and is a genuinely elite defensive player who can guard multiple positions.

Saying Sabonis is better than Turner is almost like saying Enes Kanter is better than Horford. I understand that is a bit more of an extreme example, but it is an apt comparison.

The difference between Turner and Sabonis is night and day.

And for those of you saying we should trade Hayward for Sabonis? You are out of your minds.

« Reply #111 on: October 20, 2019, 05:23:08 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

Somebody (the user) posted it in the Jaylen Brown / $80M thread. Here is the tweet from Gilroy:

Celtics & Jalen Brown shockingly inching closer to an extension, not done yet but look for something around 4 years 120 million by Monday.

https://twitter.com/gilroyonhoops/status/1185759268269678592?s=21

Not promising that he couldn't spell Jaylen correctly, but the report sounds pretty definitive.
He says the reason he spelled it wrong was because he was using talk to text, but who knows.

« Reply #112 on: October 20, 2019, 07:17:52 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123

Sorry Jaylen, but I would make that deal in a heartbeat. 

Sabonis is a young double double machine at a position we desperate need to upgrade, and Brown is not worth close to $30m when evaluated from the current point in time. 

I already feel Boston may be a better overall team with Smart starting at the SG spot (as it helps offset the defensive limits of Kemba).  We could easily use Sabonis as our starting center. 

Kemba
Smart
Hayward
Tatum
Sabonis

That's a strong starting 5 with a solid balance between scoring and defense.  It would allow us to bring Kanter off the bench as an offensive spark, and he's probably stronger in that role. 

« Reply #113 on: October 20, 2019, 07:22:41 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Sorry Jaylen, but I would make that deal in a heartbeat. 

Sabonis is a young double double machine at a position we desperate need to upgrade, and Brown is not worth close to $30m when evaluated from the current point in time. 

I already feel Boston may be a better overall team with Smart starting at the SG spot (as it helps offset the defensive limits of Kemba).  We could easily use Sabonis as our starting center. 

Kemba
Smart
Hayward
Tatum
Sabonis

That's a strong starting 5 with a solid balance between scoring and defense.  It would allow us to bring Kanter off the bench as an offensive spark, and he's probably stronger in that role.
Yeah, gotta agree with this. That starting lineup would be a heap of fun.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2019, 07:51:50 PM »

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 123
Problem right now is we just have too many scorers on the perimeter who need the ball in their hands, and I think that what this team desperately needs is to swap one of those guys out for Smart.  I'm not the biggest Marcus Smart fan, but he'd be a perfect fit in that starting 5. 

Smart doesn't need the ball in his hand to impact a game, yet he can still take and make open threes when he gets them.  Having Kemba, Hayward and Tatum gives you a nice three man rotation on the offensive end, and with those 3 guys drawing defensive attention Smart should get open threes all day long, he just has to make them. 

The only thing that would stop me from doing this right now is that it means putting Brown on the bench, which you just know he wouldn't be happy with, and it puts a limit in his ability to grow.  He needs the minutes and needs the touches, and I just don't think he'll get them in Boston.  I think Kemba and Tatum are your clear #1/#2 guys, and i just think Hayward's game suits that 3rd man role better because he has the ball handling, play-making ability, scoring ability, defensive ability combined provide him with the type of multiple-position skillset that seems perfect for a #3 guy on a team like this.

« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2019, 07:59:17 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
As much as I like Jaylen, I would not be against trading him in a deal for Sabonis. You give Tatum an extension in the near future, give Sabonis something around the 20-22M AAV, and maybe you can still have some cap space to make another bigger move down the road.

That's not to say I'm against keeping Jaylen. In fact, I do think we will work it out with him and we won't trade for Sabonis.

But if the opportunity emerged and the contract talks hit a snag, I'd definitely explore it. Sabonis is young, capable of averaging like 15/10 a night and with good coaching, he can become really great.

And as others have mentioned, assuming we have Kanter at the same time, I feel Sabonis and Kanter complement each other well. Where one has a weakness, the other can fill that weakness nicely. Sabonis may not be an elite defender, but he's still really solid.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #116 on: October 21, 2019, 09:17:22 AM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
I think this is a win win type trade with indianna,as it certainly helps both teams.  For the C's, it trades from a position of excess and fills a hole, while still allowing flexibility.  With the C's drafting a couple of smaller players this year, it would allow them some PT while inserting a guy into a 4-5 role who can be productive in both spots.  I personally think with the size and possibly lower contract demands he has MORE value than brown currently and I'd be willing to add a small pick or two.

« Reply #117 on: October 21, 2019, 10:09:04 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
What we have here is a typical case of us overvaluing our players and in return undervaluing what we’d be receiving in return.

Jaylen is a good, not great player, who clearly is looking for something between 25-30 mil next season, which he is not worth. He also plays a position that we are saturated in, and also a position with a lot of depth in both the NBA and College. I also believe Indiana would be more likely to pay him a larger contract.

Sabonis is a good, not great player who is likely going to command a similar contract next year, in a position that Indiana has depth in. In reality a good PF/C is a much harder position to fill in the NBA. 

People around here are constantly complaining about the current status of our front court, Sabonis is a immediate fix for that, and in reality a player that makes more sense to pay long term in this apples for apples scenario.

Ideally we trade Hayward, but I think as others have mentioned he is likely off the table, even though I think (deep down) leaving a major market team with a ton of pressure and going home to Indiana would be a want for him as well.. he’d also be loved on the Pacers. 

With the above said I’d trade Jaylen for Sabonis. It would suck, but it’s legitimately fair for both sides from a value stand point, and it helps both sides equally.

« Reply #118 on: October 21, 2019, 10:32:29 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Trading Jaylen for Sabonis doesn't work for me.  Jaylen's recent play (end of last season, FIBA, pre-season) just has the feel of someone who is just figuring out how to harness his elite athleticism into a really good player.  I feel Sabonis has peaked.  Plus I just don't think he fits the profile of this team's current DNA, which is to rely on elite athleticism and switchability, particularly on the defensive end.  Sabonis is a traditional center. He'd be good as a back up on the bench (a better version of Kanter), but not fit well into what we want to become as a starting unit.  I feel the template of this style was in full evidence vs Orlando in 2nd preseasong game, a team that whipped us pretty good last year.  Yes, Vuc wasn't in the lineup, but neither was Kemba.  Guys like Isaac and Gordon killed us last year, but were frustrated by our team defensive pressure last week.  Orlando is long, but the length was overcome by our quickness and switchability, and defensive aggressiveness.  Sabonis doesn't play like that.

P.S. I'm taking Celtics over the Sixers on Wednesday. 

« Reply #119 on: October 21, 2019, 11:29:42 AM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
I would not trade any of the following for Sabonis or anyone else for that matter:

J Tatum
J Brown
M Smart
C Edwards
G Williams
R Williams

I like Domantas.  I wanted C's to trade Rozier for Sabonis in summer of 2018 (and any time after that as well), unfortunately that didn't happen.