Author Topic: Jahill Okafor receiving no offers (update: signs with Pelicans)  (Read 8798 times)

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I actually called this a few years ago, but must admit even i am a little surprised how quick it has happened.

http://amicohoops.net/okafor-not-drawing-interest-in-free-agency/
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 04:47:07 PM by Redz »

Re: Jahill Okafor receiving no offers
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 03:45:33 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
#traveling

I'd sign him to a two year deal with a team option on the second year....    (:   
Diggles

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 03:53:55 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'll admit to having been very, very wrong about Okafor.

I thought he was gonna be really good.  I figured he'd be productive out of the gate and find a way to contribute to winning.  Couldn't have been more off the mark.  Granted, he came into a bad situation with the Sixers, but nonetheless, his descent into utter irrelevancy has been a bit mystifying to me.

I have to say I'm still kind of confused as to why nobody wants to give him a shot.  Didn't the playoffs show that guys who can generate buckets one and one and punish mismatches still have at least some theoretical value in the league?  I don't think anybody is clamoring to play guys like Okafor and Monroe 30+ minutes per night and in crunch time, but I think there's value there for 15-20 minutes a night.

Makes me wonder if there's not more than just the on-court issues with Jahlil.  If he were a hard worker with a good attitude, focus, etc it's hard for me to believe that nobody would want to use a roster spot on him.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 03:56:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I would like to see what he could do if he has truly been humbled by this experience. Unfortunately I don't think we have a roster spot for him.

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 03:59:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I thought he was gonna be really good.  I figured he'd be productive out of the gate and find a way to contribute to winning.  Couldn't have been more off the mark.  Granted, he came into a bad situation with the Sixers, but nonetheless, his descent into utter irrelevancy has been a bit mystifying to me.

I have to say I'm still kind of confused as to why nobody wants to give him a shot.  Didn't the playoffs show that guys who can generate buckets one and one and punish mismatches still have at least some theoretical value in the league?  I don't think anybody is clamoring to play guys like Okafor and Monroe 30+ minutes per night and in crunch time, but I think there's value there for 15-20 minutes a night.

Makes me wonder if there's not more than just the on-court issues with Jahlil.  If he were a hard worker with a good attitude, focus, etc it's hard for me to believe that nobody would want to use a roster spot on him.

I think there were concerns with his conditioning early on, but all recent indications are that he is in pretty good shape at least. Can't speak for his maturity, but it seems like he handled the stuff with the 76ers pretty good overall.

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 04:01:34 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I would like to see what he could do if he has truly been humbled by this experience. Unfortunately I don't think we have a roster spot for him.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the problem is that Okafor continues to be focused on proving his value as an isolation / post scorer, rather than demonstrating his ability to contribute without scoring.  Perhaps instead of a video of him hitting pull-up mid-range  jumpers he should show clips of him endlessly doing the Mikan drill and grabbing rebounds in traffic, for example. 
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 04:01:57 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As I said before, his best option is China where he could put up 50/25 every night for a decade and become a big star over there. He just isn't made for today's NBA and as hinted elsewhere, may not have it mentally in him to be an NBA player. Dang, he couldn't get minutes on the freaking Nets.

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 04:08:18 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
So much for the great Okafor versus Noel Debate
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 04:09:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
talk about downhill fast

NBA unspoken rules

-don't voice trade requests on a rookie contract
- 2nd chance with a bad team like the Nets...don't end up riding the bench

a few others
- never say backup the brink trucks/show me the money
- never claim how much you are worth on national tv after a horrendous performance

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 04:18:34 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Remember when debating whether Okafor or Noel would turn out better? I was on the Okafor side and actually liked him p much back then  ::)

Re your points about his value, I'm afraid he is irrelevant.

See this reddit post here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/7iiqy2/serious_why_jahlil_okafor_isnt_a_good_player/

It's not like I agree with  everything he says, but he makes some solid points: Okafor doesn't give you the rebounds /easy buckets /rim protection you want from a big.  He also seems to have attitude issues and hasn't improved his game or body since college. I'm sure you know all this already, but the post still provides a nice sum up IMO.

Speaking of bigs without demand, Hibbert is also an UFA.

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 04:35:36 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Okafor is a younger Monroe. They are not bad players, in fact offensively they are very good. It's just in today's NBA where teams have decided to switch every single PnR, they are left on an island and just aren't quick enough to not get blown by every time. Makes them very difficult to play.

I think it sucks personally but I've always been a huge fan of post bigs..

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 04:44:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Okafor is a younger Monroe. They are not bad players, in fact offensively they are very good. It's just in today's NBA where teams have decided to switch every single PnR, they are left on an island and just aren't quick enough to not get blown by every time. Makes them very difficult to play.

I think it sucks personally but I've always been a huge fan of post bigs..

There are still a lot of bad teams in the NBA with little to no NBA talent on their bench.  For those teams, it shouldn't be that much of a concern that a bench player can't defend the best perimeter players in a pick and roll.

I can appreciate why guys like Monroe and Okafor can't find a place on the better teams in the league, but no roster spot in the entire league?  That's a head scratcher for me.

- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 04:54:39 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Okafor is a younger Monroe
. They are not bad players, in fact offensively they are very good. It's just in today's NBA where teams have decided to switch every single PnR, they are left on an island and just aren't quick enough to not get blown by every time. Makes them very difficult to play.

This gets mentioned a lot, but unlike Monroe, Okafor is a bad rebounder and a poor passer. If he could at least rebound well he would probably get a shot, but that deficiency just adds to the problem.

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 04:58:43 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I still wouldn't be surprised if Ainge waits for the market to play out, and then signs Jahlil to a partially guaranteed, no risk contract. He did have interest in trading for him not too long ago, and he may just be waiting for him to get desperate enough to accept anything.

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 05:14:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Remember when debating whether Okafor or Noel would turn out better? I was on the Okafor side and actually liked him p much back then  ::)

Re your points about his value, I'm afraid he is irrelevant.

See this reddit post here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/7iiqy2/serious_why_jahlil_okafor_isnt_a_good_player/

It's not like I agree with  everything he says, but he makes some solid points: Okafor doesn't give you the rebounds /easy buckets /rim protection you want from a big.  He also seems to have attitude issues and hasn't improved his game or body since college. I'm sure you know all this already, but the post still provides a nice sum up IMO.

Speaking of bigs without demand, Hibbert is also an UFA.

i believe Hibbert is retired. I saw him in studio on some sports show on cable.