Author Topic: Vote NOW for the CB Draft Playoffs, Conference Finals (Q&A Thread)  (Read 33341 times)

Vote NOW for the CB Draft Playoffs, Conference Finals (Q&A Thread)
« on: September 19, 2010, 09:56:07 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
And Heres why.

While I respect everything that Chicago has done in this draft I firmly believe that I have a better team.  

PG: Jason Kidd/Jarret Jack
SG: Rip Hamilton/CJ Miles/Nick Young
SF:Corey Maggette/Matt Barnes/Keith Bogans
Pf:Dirk Nowitzki/Brandon Wright/Shelden Williams
C: Marcin Gortat/Ronny Turiaf

Against

PG: Brandon Jennings/Eric Maynor
Sg:Mike Miller/Tony Allen/Michael Redd
SF:Lebron James/Mike Miller
PF: Ersan Ilyasova/Louis Amundson/Gani Lawal
C:Joakim Noah/Omer Asik

(Sorry IP I cant figure out the rest of your rotation, feel free to edit my post)

So to start off with im going to get to the big elephant in the room.  Lebron....

As Legendary coach Herb Brooks said,

"Everyone in this room knows what
people say about our chances.

I know it.
You know it.

But I also know there is a way to stay with this team.         You don't defend them. You attack them.

You take their game and you shove it right back in their face.

The team that is finally willing to do this is the team that has a chance to put them down."

I did the legwork on this and have found out that in matchups with Lebron, Milwaukee has the only SF in the league that averages more free throws than Lebron

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=maggeco01&p2=jamesle01

And while Lebron has out-assisted maggette on a regular basis the rest of their numbers are remarkably even.  I believe this is because Maggette gets into lebrons head.  Lebron has to spend more time watching maggette at the free throw line than any other player in the league.  

Meanwhile my star has dominated both the chicago big men

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=nowitdi01&p2=ilyaser01

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=nowitdi01&p2=noahjo01

On Defense, Gortat can stay at home and protect the paint because Noah cant stretch the defense.  Dirk will stay on Ilyasova and Ilyasova isnt gifted enough offensively to take advantage of dirks lax defense.  

the pg matchup i think its pretty darn interesting.  Jennings on Kidd.  Completely different style of PG's.  We have seen the lebron doesnt need a pass first pg so i think theoretically its a good fit for the bulls.  But at the same time I think Kidd can limit Jennings a bit and if Jennings does get some open looks he doesnt shoot a good enough percentage to worry me.  

Also, I expect Rip to take advantage of Miller on defense and if Chi puts TA on Rip i would welcome that because while it will definitely limit Rip it also takes an outside shooter out of the game and allows rip to cheat off TA to help on Bron.  

Finally, a vote for Chicago is a vote for communism and a vote for Milwaukee is a vote for freedom
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 11:08:23 PM by IndeedProceed »
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

Re: Vote for Milwaukee Over Chicago in the CB Draft ECF
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 10:08:30 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2407
Rip Hamilton should defend LeBron James

Re: Vote on Monday for the CB Draft Playoffs, Conference Finals
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 11:14:57 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
My head hurts...and my GF's twin nephews, both age 2 (twins), stayed with us last night...so I'm not ready to defend this hack job quite yet.

Let me just say, Nowitzki+Gortat are nowwhere near the defensive tandem thst LeBron just bested in Washington. They won't be able to defend LeBron, Maggette can't defend LeBron, and when LeBron is getting to the cup, everyone wins. LeBron can finish better than anyone on Milwaukee's roster, and he is a good enough passer that when Milwaukee goes to help, he'll find the right man to score the baskets.

Maggette can get to the basket-cup, but he's not efficient, he's not a particularly high FG% shooter and he has to have the ball in his hands. Last year Maggette had a higher usage rate than Rajon Rondo, and his team knocked out a quality 26 wins. For a guy whose usage rate is 27.6%, Maggette's ability to things like not score is well, zero.

So, if Milwaukee wants to turn this into a LeBron James vs Corey Maggette score-off, they can have it. Because in order for thier 'master plan' to work, Maggette has to get an awful lot of touches. That means less for Dirk, less of a leash for Kidd to do stuff, that means no nifty passes to Rip Hamilton coming off of screens.

My prediction: This whole 'magette can win it because I found some stats that show Corey Maggette is a productive member of a playoff team' strategy ought to last about one quarter, then Milwaukke will come to its senses and run its offense through Kidd and Nowitzki.

I think the only thing that really matters is: No team has ever beaten a LeBron James led team in the playoffs without an elite defense.

Chicago's defense will slow down Milwaukee's pace, it will turn the matchup into a grind it out series, and when the game pace slows down LeBron James dominates.

Chicago rebounds better, they defend better, and they won't have any problem scoring on Milwaukee's soft like butter defense. Chicago wins.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 11:24:56 AM by IndeedProceed »

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 11:27:08 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think the only thing that really matters is: No team has ever beaten a LeBron James led team in the playoffs without an elite defense.

At the same time, has Lebron ever beaten a team better than the Fake Bucks in the playoffs?

I just don't think it's valid to point to Lebron's "real life" performance against inferior teams and then argue that he can't lose in the CB-NBA.  Again, if you see Lebron as the only guy that matters on your team, I think you're going to lose.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 11:44:45 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Both Kidd + Nowitzki (B.Jennings) and Maggette + Nowitzki (LeBron) are very weak pick and roll combinations at the point of attack. They are going to concede a huge amount of penetration to their defense.

It is going to be incredibly difficult to overcome that weakness.

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 11:47:35 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
The Fact is, In their Matchups Maggette has nullified Lebrons Scoring edge.  The fact is that while people cant defend lebron. Lebron cannot defend Maggette.  He cannot keep Maggette infront of him.  Case and Point in their last matchup

lebron had a monster game

37 pts, 8 rbs, 11 ass 12/14 on free throws  12/23 from the field

Maggette

32 Pts, 7 rbs, 3 ass 17/18 free throws  7/14 from the field

While lebron dominates the assist category, i feel like that has to be expected because of the role that he plays.  

Historically your star has been mitigated by the Offensive play of corey Maggette, Meanwhile my star dominates everybody you can throw out there.

And you can Say Maggette isnt efficient but 7/14 and 17/18 ft's out of my number 2 scoring option is pretty efficient.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 11:50:51 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Both Kidd + Nowitzki (B.Jennings) and Maggette + Nowitzki (LeBron) are very weak pick and roll combinations at the point of attack. They are going to concede a huge amount of penetration to their defense.

I dont think so.  We have seen that Lebron cannot defend Maggette.  If IP moves his best big man defender to Dirk, he leaves the rim greatly uncovered for Maggettes Driving. 

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 11:57:15 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I dont think so.  We have seen that Lebron cannot defend Maggette.  If IP moves his best big man defender to Dirk, he leaves the rim greatly uncovered for Maggettes Driving.  

Just like I don't think IP can use Lebron as a panacea to cure all his team's ills, I certainly don't think Maggette is the answer to everything for you, either.

If Who has a concern about pick-and-roll defense, I think you need to address how you'll play defense, rather than relying solely on Maggette's offense.

For instance, argue that Dirk's defense is underrated.  Last season, he held opposing players to 83.7% of their production,  according to the dMult stat:  http://www.basketballprospectus.com/card.php?id=nowitdi01

Now, that stat isn't perfect -- it suggests that Danilo Gallinari is a top defender -- but it's some evidence that Dirk isn't too bad.  The Dallas defense was also much better with Dirk on the court, and he held opposing big men to a very respectable 16.6 PER:

http://www.82games.com/0910/09DAL13.HTM#bypos

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 12:17:32 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Listen im not suggesting that Maggette is my cure all end all.  Infact far from it.  Im saying that he mittigates IP's cure all end all.  That is a statistical, historic fact. 

what i dont see is where IP gets his offense from other than Lebron.  There is nobody on IP's team that can prevent Dirk from going for 40.  Tony Allen can limit Rip.  But at the same time that takes another guy that can chip in offensively off the court for IP. 

And finally lets take a look at playoff experience. 

Gortat, Dirk, Rip, Kidd, Barnes, Turiaf, have all played in the Conference finals and beyond.

I mean CJ Miles, my backup SG put up numbers even with Brandon Jennings last year in the playoffs.

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 02:48:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Listen im not suggesting that Maggette is my cure all end all.  Infact far from it.  Im saying that he mittigates IP's cure all end all.  That is a statistical, historic fact. 

That is a load of baloney. Corey Maggette's usage rate over the past 5 games he's played against LeBron (all Cavs wins) is 26.62. Only LeBron, Carmelo, and Durant had higher usage rates than that at the SF position.

If you want to try to sell your Maggette story, you're going to have to live with him taking a lot of shots away from your other players. Maggette can only create for himself, he's not a quality passer. Numbers back that up, he's got roughly the same assist ratio as Wilson Chandler or Chase Budinger, and his assist to turnover ratio is worse than guys like Sasha Pavlovic or Trenton Hassell.

Corey Maggette can score on LeBron James, but if you want him to 'mitigate' LeBron's scoring, you're going to need to give him a ton of touches (in 5 out of the last 7 games he played against LeBron, Maggette was either leading his team in Usage Rate or he was second), at the expense of guys like Dirk or Kidd or Hamilton, and on top of that you're going to have to live with his crappy shooting.

From the 2006-2007 season on, Corey Maggette has shot 43.0% from the field against LeBron.

If you totaled up all the points in games between the two guys since 2006/07, and divided it by all the minutes played, you would get each players' points per minute. If you multiplied that by 36, you would see approximately what each player would do, with the same usage, same minutes.

LeBron: 27 points, 49.5% Shooting
Maggette: 21 points, 43% Shooting

Relying on Maggette for the 20+ points you're insinuating is ridiculous.

what i dont see is where IP gets his offense from other than Lebron.  There is nobody on IP's team that can prevent Dirk from going for 40.  Tony Allen can limit Rip.  But at the same time that takes another guy that can chip in offensively off the court for IP. 

Well, you brought up Dirk and Ilyasova's H2H numbers, so you believe in them as valid. You did all that legwork.

So I did some more legwork. In the two games played against Dallas this season (as opposed to the other 2 games in 2007 when Ilyasova was 21 years old and averaged 15 mins per game, mostly at SF), the results were a bit more competitive than you're letting on.

Ilyasova played an average of 26 minutes per game between the two contests. In the two contests he shot 59% from the field (to Dirk's 46%), and when you worked out the per minute statistics, the only thing Dirk did better was shoot more shots.

Now, I'm not saying Dirk Nowitzki is not capable of scoring 40 points on Ilyasova. What I am saying it that he'll need to play 52.2 minutes to do it, if he played like he did against Ilyasova this season.

(Against Dirk, Ilyasova scored 21.2 pp36 minutes, which was actually 5 points better than his usual 15.9 over the same time)

And finally lets take a look at playoff experience. 

Gortat, Dirk, Rip, Kidd, Barnes, Turiaf, have all played in the Conference finals and beyond.

LeBron and Tony Allen have both been to the finals.

Amundson has also been to the conference finals.

4 of my starting 5 played pivotal roles on playoff teams last season. Jennings and James were both tasked with being the #1 scoring option on their respective teams, Noah and Ilyasova were both tasked with being active rebounders and defenders. I know my team is young, and doesn't have the experience (or crappy 3pt shooting %) of say a Richard Hamilton, or the experience (or bad knees and ever-decreasing game) of Jason Kidd, but all my guys have experience in high pressure games.

Except for Gani Lawal. But he's playing 2 minutes, at most.

I mean CJ Miles, my backup SG put up numbers even with Brandon Jennings last year in the playoffs.

And this is the most ridiculous thing I've seen yet.

Why are you comparing a 2/3 tweener with my point guard?

Also, how is 14.5 points, 2.5 rebounds and 2.8 assists (Miles' numbers) equal to 18.7, 3 rebounds and 3.8 assists? (Jennings' numbers)

The only thing comparable was their minutes.

Nobody is saying Milwaukee has a bad team. They've got a good team, one that made it here.

But we've all been hearing this same "You've just got LeBron" bull since I drafted the guy. Fact is, I've got the far better defensive team. That should slow down the pace of the Milwaukee attack, and force Dirk (don't believe the Maggette garbage, that's a red herring) to do a lot of the heavy lifting. Jason Kidd suffocates in the half-court offense, and his playmaking abilities in transition will be somewhat limited.

Meanwhile, LeBron James and Brandon Jennings will be able to get literally anywhere on the court they want against Kidd and Maggette, and since both players at at worst very able passers, they will have the choice of taking it to the hoop (Jennings scored 18.5 points per game last season against Kidd) or making the pass to one of the shooters (Ilyasova, Miller, Jennings) or the pick and roll man (Noah, Ilyasova).

Milwaukee's soft front line of Gortat and Nowitzki can't even begin to slow down Chicago's offense, not when it is initiated by James or Jennings.

Chicago is also the better rebounding team, behind Joakim Noah (top 3 rebounding center last season, among those who played in 40 games or more), Ersan Ilyasova (top 25 rebounding PF's), LeBron James (only Durant and Gerald Wallace had more RPG than James at the SF), and Mike Miller (tops among SG's with a 10.1 rebound rate).

Jason Kidd I can't knock for his rebounding, he's still the best rebounding pg out there, despite being 52 years old. Even Kidd though only managed to out rebound Jennings 7.0 RPG to 5.0 RPG in head to head play last season.

Brandon Jennings does manage a healthy 6.0 rebound rate, good for 20th best among PG's (for comparison, Rondo has a 7.5 rebound rate).

Better rebound, better defense, better half-court offense. Chicago wins.

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 03:11:54 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
If Lebron can get anywhere he wants on Maggette why do they have comparable stats in their career matchups?  Why is it that if Lebron can do whatever he wants he hasnt been able to outplay Maggette?

and as far as Jennings and CJ Miles, if you are going to use the shots per game argument for dirk and ilyasova lets be fair and use it for Jennings and Miles where in 3 less games Jennings took 14 more shots and only scored 4 more ppg.  So ya, my backup SG had very similar production as your Starting PG who you are hanging you hat on as your secondary scoring options. 

And your defense to my playoff experience is that Lebron and 2 backups have significant playoff experience as compared to 4 out of 5 of my starters??? and several of my backups.

And again if you want to depend on Jennings i will welcome it with open arms.  He is such an inefficient scorer i will take that all day and every day. 

The fact of the matter IP is that other than Lebron you just dont have the horses.  I have more offensive weapons and a far superior bench as well as more playoff experience.   We both have superstars, yours is going to be playing against a player who he scores 3 points less per game than his career average.

And mine is going against your weakest position in Ilyasova and whoever else you have once ilyasova gets in foul trouble.

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 03:53:57 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
If Lebron can get anywhere he wants on Maggette why do they have comparable stats in their career matchups?  Why is it that if Lebron can do whatever he wants he hasnt been able to outplay Maggette?

and as far as Jennings and CJ Miles, if you are going to use the shots per game argument for dirk and ilyasova lets be fair and use it for Jennings and Miles where in 3 less games Jennings took 14 more shots and only scored 4 more ppg.  So ya, my backup SG had very similar production as your Starting PG who you are hanging you hat on as your secondary scoring options. 

And your defense to my playoff experience is that Lebron and 2 backups have significant playoff experience as compared to 4 out of 5 of my starters??? and several of my backups.

And again if you want to depend on Jennings i will welcome it with open arms.  He is such an inefficient scorer i will take that all day and every day. 

The fact of the matter IP is that other than Lebron you just dont have the horses.  I have more offensive weapons and a far superior bench as well as more playoff experience.   We both have superstars, yours is going to be playing against a player who he scores 3 points less per game than his career average.

And mine is going against your weakest position in Ilyasova and whoever else you have once ilyasova gets in foul trouble.

LeBron and Maggette don't have comperable stats. LeBron has rattled off 6 straight wins against Maggette since 2005, he's got a better FG% in that time, he out scores him 5 points per 36 minutes in that span, he has almost 4x the number of assists as Maggette in the same time period, he easily doubles Maggette's steals and blocks per game. The only thing Maggette does better than James in the 6 times they have met since 2005 is rebound, and even that is pretty suspect.

Maggette led Golden State in rebounds per game last season at 5.3, among players who played more than 50 games, so I'm not buying Maggette as the better rebounder when his team had a +/- rebound rate of minus-10 per game, worst in the league. Maggette didn't have any one else to take his rebounds, while LeBron had Varejao, Jamison, O'Neal, and Illgauskus.

Amundson is as good if not better than anyone you have on your bench at defending and rebounding.

Also, CJ Miles..he's a good player. But, he had Deron WIlliams, the best point guard in the game, and Carlos Boozer producing for him, along with a balanced team of role players like Paul Millsap, and Wes Matthews.

Most nights Miles was the 4th best offensive player out there.

You say Brandon Jennings is an inefficient scorer, but he had one player, John Salmons, who even had a chance of creating his own shot after Bogut went down. He managed to hook the 3 seed Hawks into a 7 game series, as a leader. Also in 2 of the 3 wins, he was the leading scorer.

Whats CJ Miles got on that?

You can keep twisting and distorting statistics and judgments, but you've got nothing at all that shows you can even slow down the pick and roll from James and Jennings, and you've got no real theory on how you're going to score.

You say Maggette will score, well then you'll have to live with his efficiency rates. The last time Corey Maggette made the playoffs? That was in 2005-2006 when he had the help of a still peaking (but that was where it ended) Sam Cassell, and possibly the most underrated MVP candidate in the last 10 years, Elton Brand's 24 pts 10 rebounds season.

Even then, Maggette still had 18.7 points on 44% shooting, and one of the higher usage rates for his career.

Corey Maggette brings one thing to the table: He gets to the hoop. That's it. He can rebound, but hopefully you won't need him to much more than 5 per game with Nowitzki, Gortat, and Kidd around to help, and he can shoot FT's.

Against a team that was a high powered offense like say Phoenix (real life), that would be a great asset. But, you're playing against a team with a high-powered and superior defense. Maggette might be able to drop 20 points on me (while shooting 40% and needing 14 FGA's), but he doesn't pass and he doesn't defend. He's a one trick pony on a team where you have a master ringleader in Kidd and an established leader in Nowitzki. Why the heck are you letting a role player do all your scoring?

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 04:01:20 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

No, my defense is yes, you have more playoff experience, but the only players on my team that have never been in a playoff series and seen significant minutes are Omer Asik, Gani Lawal, and Landry Clark Fields.

Against Dallas, Ilyasova averaged 4.9 fouls per 36 minutes. He might sit a minute here or a minute there, but Amundson is capable of covering the Dirkness. Not stopping him, mind you. Nobody can stop Dirk anymore than you could stop LeBron..but at least making Dirk work.

Better defense, better rebounding, better half-court offense=better team.

Chicago wins.

EDIT: I apologize for the snarky stupid equation thing above. I am confident that Rondo#### is enough of a wordsmith to come up with something equally snarky to rebuff me.

Unless Roy beats him to it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 04:06:54 PM by IndeedProceed »

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 04:06:16 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Chicago should rotate their three big men -- Ilyasova + Noah + Amundson -- on and off of Dirk Nowitzki. Let Ilyasova take the primary assignment and throw Noah on to him on occasion just to give him a different look.

Rip Hamilton has a very good matchup with Mike Miller. There is no way Miller can stay with Rip's movement off the ball.

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 08:34:14 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

No, my defense is yes, you have more playoff experience, but the only players on my team that have never been in a playoff series and seen significant minutes are Omer Asik, Gani Lawal, and Landry Clark Fields.

Against Dallas, Ilyasova averaged 4.9 fouls per 36 minutes. He might sit a minute here or a minute there, but Amundson is capable of covering the Dirkness. Not stopping him, mind you. Nobody can stop Dirk anymore than you could stop LeBron..but at least making Dirk work.

Better defense, better rebounding, better half-court offense=better team.

Chicago wins.

EDIT: I apologize for the snarky stupid equation thing above. I am confident that Rondo#### is enough of a wordsmith to come up with something equally snarky to rebuff me.

Unless Roy beats him to it.

False,
Jennings, Ilyasova, and Miller are all average to below average defenders, lets not make these guys out to be lockdown guys. 

However they would have to be to make up for the fact that Chicagos starting pg and second best offensive option was as effective in the playoffs last year as my backup SG. 

The fact of the matter is,

I am not confident that you have anybody that can lead an offense when Lebron is out of the game.  Im not confident that you have anybody that can score over 15 points a game. 

Answer me this, assuming that Lebron and Dirk score about equally, which i think would happen.  Do you have anybody on your team that can keep pace with Maggette or Rip?  I dont see it. 

First of all Miller would be absolutely shredded playing the 2 against rip.  Then you would have to put TA in the game to defend rip.  Then you have nobody on your team other than lebron that can hit an outside shot.  Your offense is to weak IP.  you dont have the horses to win the race.