Who should be the #1 pick?

Adrian Peterson
6 (35.3%)
LaDainian Tomlinson
9 (52.9%)
Other
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Fantasy Football: AP or LT?  (Read 11632 times)

Fantasy Football: AP or LT?
« on: July 27, 2008, 12:41:12 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2437
I got stuck with the first pick in my fantasy draft. Who do I go with?
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

Re: LT or Peterson
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 12:47:31 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
LT.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 01:15:59 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
AP all the way.

The O-line that he is running behind is a monster line.  Look at his schedule as well, he has a favorable turf/weather schedule as well.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 01:48:56 PM »

Offline Hollywood

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
westbrook- mr. money in the bank

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 02:01:17 PM »

Offline sydrian

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 2
LTs at the age RBs start to slip. Ive got the gut feeling to stay away from the guy with a top 5 pick this year.

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 02:06:50 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
LT is more of a sure thing.  AP doesn't have a QB and teams began to stack the line in the last few games of last year, I think they'll do that more this year.  
Westbrook would be my #2 pick if it's a PPR league.  

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 02:21:23 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
LT is the safest way to go. AP still will share the ball with Chester Taylor (70/30) and has not proven he can stay healthy the whole season. And if you do draft LT, handcuff yourself to Darren Sproles within the first 10 rounds.  :)
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 02:33:53 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
LT is the safest way to go. AP still will share the ball with Chester Taylor (70/30) and has not proven he can stay healthy the whole season. And if you do draft LT, handcuff yourself to Darren Sproles within the first 10 rounds.  :)

I don't understand why people always feel the need to take LT's backup if they have LT.  In my mind you are wasting a pick.  Take someone that starts!  Is the rational that if LT gets hurt than Sproles will be just as good?  You're better off trying to find a diamond in the rough with those late picks. 

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 02:57:09 PM »

Offline spelz

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 13
I would take LT.  Minny does not have a QB plus with the bears and Packers, they should have good teams in their division.  The Chargers play in a weak division.  I don't expect the Chiefs, Broncos, or Raiders to stop too many offenses, and I say this as a Chiefs fan.

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 03:08:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Considering the Pats schedule and that just about every single player is back from that offense, I'd go Brady. I know RB is by most considered the smart first pick, but the defenses the Pats play this year are awful and if he puts up 80% of last year's numbers he's still going to outpoint almost all RB's.

Of course that all depends on the league type that you play in.

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 09:08:04 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I don't understand why people always feel the need to take LT's backup if they have LT.  In my mind you are wasting a pick.  Take someone that starts!  Is the rational that if LT gets hurt than Sproles will be just as good?  You're better off trying to find a diamond in the rough with those late picks. 

Agreed.  I'd rather go for a guy that has a legit chance at a starting role than a guy that will give you nothing unless the star player in front of them is hurt.  Maybe if you are in a deep league I can see it, but your standard twelve man draft?  No dice.

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 09:25:40 AM »

Offline mbsims2

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
LT all the way for a couple reasons...(1) LT has been the most consistent RB in the NFL for the last 5-6 years. You know what you're getting. (2) AP may have more flashy stats on some weeks but the other weeks geeeessshhhh and we don't know if he's gonna stay healthy. With #1 I'm taking the sure thing.

Brady wouldn't be bad, but I think you can get value at the bottom of the second with a QB.

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 09:28:39 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I have the first pick also, so I have this dilemma too.  Here's the thing, we have a keeper league but we just reset so we pick from scratch this year.  I can keep on player 3 times after this year.  Thinking long-term, I am leaning to picking AP.

Besides, I rode the LT train to 2 straight title game losses (I'm the Bills of my league) so I think I've squeezed him for all he's worth to me

I haven't decided yet, but the other thing that might sway me is the fact that I traded for 2 second rounders - so I can back AP up with more stable backs
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 09:54:53 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I would go AP, just because as others have mentioned, LT is coming off a down year and a nagging injury, and his schedule is tougher.

The vikings are a good running team and they don't exactly have to face the toughest defenses ya know? there's a few good NFC defenses, but not as many as LT will see.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Fantasy Football: AP or LT?
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 10:07:51 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I added a poll to this thread to see how people feel.  Should be interesting.
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)