Author Topic: Whether or not we win a title all comes down to JT and JB right?  (Read 19153 times)

Re: Whether or not we win a title all comes down to JT and JB right?
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2023, 02:53:59 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Also, the idea that the Celtics overachieved last year is a joke. 

They underachieved.  They should've been in the Finals.  I have doubts that they would've beaten Denver but they should've been there instead of losing to an inferior 8 seed in the conference finals. I don't think any competent person walked away from this past season thinking that the Celtics played over their heads.

Underachieved based on talent, overachieved based on the hot start and the post-ASG collapse.

I could agree with this. But thats not where moranis is going. his whole point is that the celtics talent is NOT there. but their PLAY is what has somehow gotten them to the ECF.

But then it comes back to the original poster and my argument. the team has a championship roster. but their mentality is what is handicapping them. If they can "play the right way" along with their talent we can win the whole thing.

And likely thats why Brad keeps tinkering. Hoping the right mix and age gets them over the hump.
This is mostly correct, I don't think Boston has had the talent of a franchise that should have 5 conference finals appearances in the last seven seasons.  That level of sustained winning is very rare.  The only other time I recall it happening without a true all time great was the Reggie Miller Pacers.  A team that pretty clearly overachieved its talent but also played in a weak era (which certainly helped that level of success).  All the other times that level of sustained winning has happened the team was led by one of the true all timers.  That is what I mean when I say the team has overachieved.  It has won more than its talent would typically dictate it should.

This year's team, does have the best player its had since KG got hurt in 2009.  Time will tell if Tatum elevates his game enough to be good enough to lead Boston to the promised land.  I think he can, but he actually has to do it because where he has been previously has simply not good enough

Nah- you're wrong. I mean you can think whatever you want. And I can tell you that your ideas are bonkers. That being said, I don't want you to quit. This is getting better.