Author Topic: The unspoken "real" issue with these celtics...  (Read 18927 times)

Re: The unspoken "real" issue with these celtics...
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2023, 06:41:01 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
A lot of players have come and gone over the last few years, with essentially the exception of Jayson, Jaylen, and Smart. Yet, the same issues seem to persist. This is one of the reasons why I thought either Marcus or Jaylen needed to be traded this off season. The personalities of your best players can effect the rest of the team. With that in mind, Jayson and Jaylen need to flip a switch in two key areas.

1. No matter how talented their opponent is, they are never entitled to winning on any night. This team seems to constantly blow leads or not take teams seriously.

2. I do believe Jayson and Jaylen want to win. However, what's holding them back is not hating to lose. They need to hate losing more than wanting to win.

Excellent point. Another way to say it is that the J's want to win, but don't need to win the way Cowens, Garnett, Bird and Russell did.
What good did Garnett’s “need to win” do him prior to joining Boston?

Huh ?  Non-sequitur Gouk.
Garnett didn't have enough talent around him in Minny. He did in Boston.

Tatum and Brown do have enough talent on this team to have already won a title.
That's the point the OP was making - thus meaning something else is the reason for the playoff failures.
It‘s just that your distinction is meaningless. The reality is that none of us know how much player X “needed” to win vs player Y merely “wanting” to

Sure we do. It's obvious those players that would run thru a wall to win a title.
Similar to johnny's phrase of "wanting to win" vs "hating to lose."

This is just a circular debate.  Kevin Garnett had more focus and drive than any human can have.  He won 1 title, proving it takes a lot more than that to win a title.  A lot needs to go right.  I think Tatum, Brown, and now Porzingis have plenty of "want".  They want to win enough and I am sure they hate losing plenty.  In 2022, GSW simply handled the pressure better.  They played better.  In 2023, I think all the emotions around Ime and the coaching change finally caught up with the team.  We played bad for 3 games when it mattered most.  Tatum is a young sole I feel, but he is growing up.  I have not given up on him.

2022 the C's lost because of 16+ turnovers each game when they lost.

2023 the C's lost because of a myriad of things ranging from locker room problems to coaching to soft mentality to injuries...the list goes on.
Worth keeping in mind that our offence in the NBA Finals would have been tied 28th in the NBA if we'd played like that all season long (ORtg of 106 ties us with the 21-22 Detroit Pistons). It was putrid, and the offseason moves clearly reflect that (and so do the moves from this offseason, to be honest).
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.