Author Topic: Stephen A Smith giving Tatum the love  (Read 2868 times)

Stephen A Smith giving Tatum the love
« on: May 20, 2020, 02:05:07 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
WHO STEPHEN A. SEES AS AN OBSTACLE TO DONCIC BECOMING THE WORLD'S BEST PLAYER:

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=29199890

Re: Stephen A Smith giving Tatum the love
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 03:14:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I'll be honest, even if Doncic becomes the best, I'd be absolutely psyched if Tatum was like #2 or #3 and playing at a true MVP-caliber level. I love Doncic and he's already playing at an MVP-level at just 20 years old. Tatum's ceiling is still through the roof and he's continuing to grow.

A bit unfortunate that he (and Jaylen) had to deal with Ky-me Irving and some of the other growing egos during the 2018-2019 season, and I'm sure it affected them a bit both on-the-court, and off it. Didn't allow them to get better that season as they both seemed to take a slight step back. We saw what happened this season though as both Tatum + Brown took big leaps with better team chemistry and more opportunities, and they will continue to improve.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 09:20:21 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
I see Tatum in the MVP conversation once he can get his assists up 2-4 per game more.  Court vision is his weakness ATM, but that will improve with time.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 09:48:53 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I see Tatum in the MVP conversation once he can get his assists up 2-4 per game more.  Court vision is his weakness ATM, but that will improve with time.

Your not wrong. I just find it can't stand the current narrative and how this always comes up. He's averaging 3 assists per game right now. That's line with where George and Leonard were for most of their career. If his assists pop up 1-2 more next year (I expect they will), he would be years ahead of Leonard or George's trajectory.

He's in his third season as a 21 year old, averaging over 20 a game with high level team defense and excellent shooting and rebounding.

It's not like his passing is Jordan Clarkson or Kyle Kuzma level. He an average NBA passer right now with a usage that is normally only reserved for stars, but that his usage rate is at that level at 21 on an NBA contender is amazing.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 05:23:38 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
The reason I said he needs more assists, is I do not see him breaking 30ppg on this team. Too many other players with too much talent.  His best bet is versatility, efficiency, and good at everything type.  His largest weakness is assists ATM.

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 08:04:19 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The reason I said he needs more assists, is I do not see him breaking 30ppg on this team. Too many other players with too much talent.  His best bet is versatility, efficiency, and good at everything type.  His largest weakness is assists ATM.
That’s fair, but over the last 16 games he averaged 29/8/3.3/1.5/1 on 48/47/75 shooting splits. I can easily see him averaging 25+
over the course of a season, alongside elite team defence, improving passing and good rebounding
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 11:25:47 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
Also fair, but he has to be better than the lebron, doncic, Giannis, westbrook types that give you all the stats, with the weakness of possibly of defense which is least cared about.  If he can be all defense on top of 25, 8, and 4 with good efficiency then maybe...but his chances are better with 6 assists I'd think.

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 12:13:57 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Your not wrong. I just find it can't stand the current narrative and how this always comes up. He's averaging 3 assists per game right now. That's line with where George and Leonard were for most of their career. If his assists pop up 1-2 more next year (I expect they will), he would be years ahead of Leonard or George's trajectory.

He's in his third season as a 21 year old, averaging over 20 a game with high level team defense and excellent shooting and rebounding.

It's not like his passing is Jordan Clarkson or Kyle Kuzma level. He an average NBA passer right now with a usage that is normally only reserved for stars, but that his usage rate is at that level at 21 on an NBA contender is amazing.
To be fair his actual passing prowess is behind George's even at the same age, assists aren't a great measure of passing prowess imo. And neither is usage rate for determining offensive load, just check those SSOL Suns teams on bball ref and you'll get an idea of how flawed the stat is.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 12:36:23 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Also fair, but he has to be better than the lebron, doncic, Giannis, westbrook types that give you all the stats, with the weakness of possibly of defense which is least cared about.  If he can be all defense on top of 25, 8, and 4 with good efficiency then maybe...but his chances are better with 6 assists I'd think.
Oh yeah, I agree. He’d have to put up 28 or so PPG to contend with the all-round impact of Doncic & Giannis.

Hell, Harden is putting up Wilt-like scoring numbers and still only has one MVP (could have two, and in fact I think he should).

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 01:44:25 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Oh yeah, I agree. He’d have to put up 28 or so PPG to contend with the all-round impact of Doncic & Giannis.

Hell, Harden is putting up Wilt-like scoring numbers and still only has one MVP (could have two, and in fact I think he should).
Don't think he'd have to average a certain amount of counting stats to have MVP calibre impact. 30PPG from Michael Jordan is infinitely more valuable than 30PPG from Adrian Dantley and so does 13APG from Steve Nash compared to John Stockton's 13 APG. I'm more concerned with how he plays on the court and whether his presence moves the needle for his team (not W/L, I'm talking about SRS/MOV) - that's where the adjusted +/- stats or box-based stats that aim to mimic them come in besides the box score.

Btw I've come to see Harden's MVP as a sympathy award lol, I see Curry/Durant/LeBron as the players who deserved to gobble up all the MVPs in the past 6-8 years.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2020, 03:09:11 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Somewhere Giannis probably heard about this Steven A pick of Doncic and Tatum, and he is saying 'can I play'?

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 09:11:55 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Don't think he'd have to average a certain amount of counting stats to have MVP calibre impact. 30PPG from Michael Jordan is infinitely more valuable than 30PPG from Adrian Dantley and so does 13APG from Steve Nash compared to John Stockton's 13 APG. I'm more concerned with how he plays on the court and whether his presence moves the needle for his team (not W/L, I'm talking about SRS/MOV) - that's where the adjusted +/- stats or box-based stats that aim to mimic them come in besides the box score.

Btw I've come to see Harden's MVP as a sympathy award lol, I see Curry/Durant/LeBron as the players who deserved to gobble up all the MVPs in the past 6-8 years.
I guess it depends how you define MVP. In a perfect world, it would simply be the best player. But I think there have been few teams ever who have relied upon one player to generate their offence singlehandedly, and to relative success (routine playoff appearances and a few rounds won).

If Harden didn’t abuse the way the late 2010s game was officiated so much I’d like him more

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 01:33:57 PM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
I heavily dislike Harden's game.  He relies on the letter of the law on fouls, and scores a very high percentage of his points at the line, and another high percentage due to people trying not to give him the ticky-tack fouls.  It is legal, but if he gets a set of officials that let them play he is much more ordinary.  He is a great shooter, but he lies of those barely fouls to be successful.