Author Topic: Suns wanted Tatum with 4th pick. Ainge: “that was never happening”  (Read 2672 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/danny-ainge-jayson-tatum-was-never-gonna-end-phoenix-2017-draft

Also interestingly it says tatum was reluctant to be drafted by celtics because of a perceived lack of playing time. Guess that perception wasn’t right lol

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/danny-ainge-jayson-tatum-was-never-gonna-end-phoenix-2017-draft

Also interestingly it says tatum was reluctant to be drafted by celtics because of a perceived lack of playing time. Guess that perception wasn’t right lol

I don't remember what the exact plan for Tatum was. Were they going to develop him slowly? I know the injuries to Morris and Hayward at the time forced them to throw him into the fire early on at the start of his rookie season.

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'm imagining a Tatum-Booker-Ayton team as a playoff team.

Too bad he's wearing Green for life.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I don't remember what the exact plan for Tatum was. Were they going to develop him slowly? I know the injuries to Morris and Hayward at the time forced them to throw him into the fire early on at the start of his rookie season.

He started his first game, and always was likely to start over Morris.  Remember they traded Crowder in August, who was probably his biggest competition for a starting role.

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am

He started his first game, and always was likely to start over Morris. Remember they traded Crowder in August, who was probably his biggest competition for a starting role.

Wasn't Brown supposed to replace Crowder? Then they signed Hayward and it wasn't really looking like Tatum would be a starter from the get-go. I remember that a lot of NBA fans thought the Celtics had a lockjam at SF and that they didn't understand why Ainge drafted Tatum when he was planning to sign Hayward anyway.

Some people on this forum then wondered whether Tatum could play PF and most of us agreed that he wasn't fysically strong enough (yet) to play that position and that he probably had to play primarily as a back-up for Hayward.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Interesting that both Tatum and Jackson preferred to avoid the Celtics and were hoping for the Suns.  I'm not sure it would have mattered for Tatum, he was bound to be a star regardless, but it's very possible things could have went differently for Jackson.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Interesting that both Tatum and Jackson preferred to avoid the Celtics and were hoping for the Suns.  I'm not sure it would have mattered for Tatum, he was bound to be a star regardless, but it's very possible things could have went differently for Jackson.
Can’t say I’m sad to see Jackson regress every year
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996

He started his first game, and always was likely to start over Morris. Remember they traded Crowder in August, who was probably his biggest competition for a starting role.

Wasn't Brown supposed to replace Crowder? Then they signed Hayward and it wasn't really looking like Tatum would be a starter from the get-go. I remember that a lot of NBA fans thought the Celtics had a lockjam at SF and that they didn't understand why Ainge drafted Tatum when he was planning to sign Hayward anyway.

Some people on this forum then wondered whether Tatum could play PF and most of us agreed that he wasn't fysically strong enough (yet) to play that position and that he probably had to play primarily as a back-up for Hayward.

The original starting 5 was supposed to be...

Smart/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford

And then IT4 got flipped for Kyrie Irving so it became Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford. Then Hayward went down so then it became Irving/Brown/Tatum/Horford/Theis

Lol how injuries affected the state of that roster.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

The original starting 5 was supposed to be...

Smart/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford

And then IT4 got flipped for Kyrie Irving so it became Irving/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford. Then Hayward went down so then it became Irving/Brown/Tatum/Horford/Theis

Lol how injuries affected the state of that roster.
And then Theis went down after tearing his meniscus against Indy, so the starting lineup became Irving/Brown/Tatum/Horford/Baynes before Kryknee had his knee issue flare up :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA