Author Topic: Please make wingspan a priority in this draft  (Read 4595 times)

Please make wingspan a priority in this draft
« on: May 17, 2020, 12:13:36 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Olynyk suffered from lack of it . I believed that was behind the pump fake and tentativeness on his threes.
Semi suffers from lack of it he has great lateral ,vertical and strength but no length .Which hurts his finishes against bigs after beating a closeout.. Romeo has an elite 7foot wingspan that allowed him to recover when beat and he does get beat. .
 Theis 'has a  wingspan that is a state secret and Timelord redefines elite vertical and elite length as he goes ballistic at both ends. But he should watch some Russel and learn to control those blocks as his reputation grows. There are his thunderous dunks and he punctuates them with thunderous rejections into the 12th row . The crowd loves it and its pure intimidation.

Grant Williams undersized height for his position also suffers from avg not elite wingspan. Brandon Clarke has that quick vertical that overcomes his lack of wingspan.

Wingspan is such an asset on defence from jumping lanes ,bothering on closeouts ,blocks from behind and so underestimated by players under pressure.

Just watched a video on Jason Tatum's defensive highlites-Wow that was special.

Re: Please make wingspan a priority in this draft
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 12:31:42 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Olynyk suffered from lack of it . I believed that was behind the pump fake and tentativeness on his threes.
Semi suffers from lack of it he has great lateral ,vertical and strength but no length .Which hurts his finishes against bigs after beating a closeout.. Romeo has an elite 7foot wingspan that allowed him to recover when beat and he does get beat. .
 Theis 'has a  wingspan that is a state secret and Timelord redefines elite vertical and elite length as he goes ballistic at both ends. But he should watch some Russel and learn to control those blocks as his reputation grows. There are his thunderous dunks and he punctuates them with thunderous rejections into the 12th row . The crowd loves it and its pure intimidation.

Grant Williams undersized height for his position also suffers from avg not elite wingspan. Brandon Clarke has that quick vertical that overcomes his lack of wingspan.

Wingspan is such an asset on defence from jumping lanes ,bothering on closeouts ,blocks from behind and so underestimated by players under pressure.

Steph Curry has poor wingspan.  You would have regretted passing on him, Rollie.

All things being equal, yes, wingspan is a great asset, especially defensively. but be careful to oversimplify here.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 01:07:36 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

What’s so special about Jayson Tatum physically is that he’s got long limbs while at the same time his shoulders and hips have balanced front/back muscle tone - meaning that despite having to move those long limbs, his joints are quick and accurate. It’s rare to have that kind of balance. I believe that that kind of balance is also the best way to prevent chronic injuries.
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 01:28:51 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Tatum has an average wingspan too. According to DraftExpress, he's 6'8 in shoes with a 6'11 wingspan. That's nothing special in my book.

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 02:00:00 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Saddiq Bey and Patrick WIlliams ae both  6'8 w/ 7'0 wingspan.  I would be ok with either at 17 if the pick had to be a wing. 

There are a good amount of full size rotation quality bigs in this draft and I really hope we take a shot on two.  I think center and power forward are areas of concern so I think we need to double down on big men.

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 07:05:28 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Paul Reed is 6’9 with a 7’2 wingspan, heaps of athleticism and is for my mind the most versatile and impressive defender in this draft over 6’8
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 01:57:33 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

What’s so special about Jayson Tatum physically is that he’s got long limbs while at the same time his shoulders and hips have balanced front/back muscle tone - meaning that despite having to move those long limbs, his joints are quick and accurate. It’s rare to have that kind of balance. I believe that that kind of balance is also the best way to prevent chronic injuries.
^^^. I think I was pretty shocked at how good his frame looked since his rookie season - I would've imagined a cyborg built for playing basketball in the forward positions having that type of frame.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 01:58:56 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Could've sworn that I saw 7'4 from somewhere on the internet when the Celtics first signed him but I can't find it now.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 05:33:15 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Tatum has an average wingspan too. According to DraftExpress, he's 6'8 in shoes with a 6'11 wingspan. That's nothing special in my book.

I'm not sure that's right. Just from the eyetest it's clear that Tatum has very long arms and that his wingspan helps him to finish plays with contact and interrupt passing lanes.

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 05:50:40 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I'm not sure that's right. Just from the eyetest it's clear that Tatum has very long arms and that his wingspan helps him to finish plays with contact and interrupt passing lanes.
Those were his measurements in high school. He's probably grown in both height and wingspan.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 06:49:16 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
Those were his measurements in high school. He's probably grown in both height and wingspan.
The DraftExpress article was written in May 29, 2017. Tatum was 19 at the time and had already declared for the 2017 draft. Just google ''Jayson Tatum wingspan''. No matter where you look, it's the same result: 6'8 with 6'11 wingspan.

Having said that, I found this article from October 8, 2019

https://theathletic.com/1274937/2019/10/08/most-nba-players-experienced-a-bit-of-shrinkage-this-week-not-jayson-tatum-hes-still-growing/

which suggests that ''from the time that Celtics drafted him (=Tatum), he has grown about three-quarters of an inch. The increase took him to about 6-foot-7 and ⅝, which was rounded up for the official roster''. This is way ESPN still lists Tatum at 6'8, even though height is now measured without shoes on.

Can't read the whole article cause I got to subscribe first. As far as I can see, they mention nothing about his wingspan. Does anybody have access to the full text?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 07:10:51 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 09:08:53 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
The DraftExpress article was written in May 29, 2017. Tatum was 19 at the time and had already declared for the 2017 draft. Just google ''Jayson Tatum wingspan''. No matter where you look, it's the same result: 6'8 with 6'11 wingspan.

https://theathletic.com/1274937/2019/10/08/most-nba-players-experienced-a-bit-of-shrinkage-this-week-not-jayson-tatum-hes-still-growing/

which suggests that ''from the time that Celtics drafted him (=Tatum), he has grown about three-quarters of an inch. The increase took him to about 6-foot-7 and ⅝, which was rounded up for the official roster''. This is way ESPN still lists Tatum at 6'8, even though height is now measured without shoes on.

Can't read the whole article cause I got to subscribe first. As far as I can see, they mention nothing about his wingspan. Does anybody have access to the full text?

Seems his wingspan may have grown by a 1/2 inch.

Assuming Tatum is done growing at nearly 6-foot-8 without shoes, that still leaves him with rare size and length for such a skilled scoring wing. His wingspan recently registered at 6-foot-11 and ½ inch, according to a team source, which is a bit larger than most previous estimates and measurements. In 2014, when he appeared at Kevin Durant’s camp, Tatum had a listed 6-foot-9 wingspan. DraftExpress, for a long time the best source for pre-draft measurements, listed Tatum’s wingspan at 6-foot-11 prior to his arrival in the NBA.

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 10:11:56 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen

Seems his wingspan may have grown by a 1/2 inch.

Assuming Tatum is done growing at nearly 6-foot-8 without shoes, that still leaves him with rare size and length for such a skilled scoring wing. His wingspan recently registered at 6-foot-11 and ½ inch, according to a team source, which is a bit larger than most previous estimates and measurements. In 2014, when he appeared at Kevin Durant’s camp, Tatum had a listed 6-foot-9 wingspan. DraftExpress, for a long time the best source for pre-draft measurements, listed Tatum’s wingspan at 6-foot-11 prior to his arrival in the NBA.
Thanks! TP!

In this case, Tatum is 6'7⅝ w/o shoes with a 6'11½ wingspan. Still, that's average length in my book. If anything, his length/height ratio is worse than before, cause apparently he gained 3⁄4 inches in height and only 1/2 inches in length.

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 11:33:24 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Saddiq Bey and Patrick WIlliams ae both  6'8 w/ 7'0 wingspan.  I would be ok with either at 17 if the pick had to be a wing. 

There are a good amount of full size rotation quality bigs in this draft and I really hope we take a shot on two.  I think center and power forward are areas of concern so I think we need to double down on big men.
i understand your point, but i would disagree on drafting a lesser player for need when better players are on the board, particularly a "big". as theis and baynes have shown us, a good back up center/pf can be had through free agency, trade etc.

timelord has contributed little in his time with the celtics, much due to injury, but some due to being a rookie.

so drafting a lesser player based on need gets you a lesser player as a rookie, and such rookies take time to develop. and even when they finally do develop, they are, by definition, a lesser player.

ainge will draft the BPA and worry about the roster later. trades and free agency can fill needs at backup.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 12:29:45 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Hollinger on Chad Ford latest NBA draft podcast says that wingspan has very limited predictive value on how good a drafted player will be.

The most important question:  Can the guy play basketball well?  Guys with long arms who don't play all that well are unlikely to suddenly become really good players, just because they have a great wingspan.

Steph Curry and Kyrie Irving have 6'4" wingspans, which, given their height, is pretty average, certainly not long by any stretch.

But the dudes can play.  That is what we need to focus upon.  Can he play?

In deciding between two guys who are very similar players with similar track records, sure, take the guy with the better wingspan.  But get your priorities straight.

Can he play?