Author Topic: Dino Radja: Rick Pitino was a liar!  (Read 2745 times)

Dino Radja: Rick Pitino was a liar!
« on: May 04, 2020, 01:21:29 PM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
https://sportando.basketball/en/dino-radja-rick-pitino-is-the-only-reason-of-my-farewell-to-the-celtics-hes-a-liar/

Crotian Hall of Famer Dino Radja talked about the end of his Boston Celtics experience: He told me 'no, i don't have the slightest interest to trade you. I want to build the team around you". After few days i found out he trade me to the worst organization there was back then: the Sixers
Crotian Hall of Famer Dino Radja talked about the end of his Boston Celtics experience with contra.gr:
«Υοu cannot work with a person who has lied to you. When he came to the Celtics i had heard rumors that he wants to get rid of everybody. For 4 years i was among the best players of the team. I felt i have the right to ask him directly about his plan. I went to see him to ask him if he wanted to trade me. I told him ‘i m 30 years old and i have the feeling that i have gain every right to ask you if you want to trade me. And i want you to give me an honest answer. If you don’t like me it is fine by me. It is your prerogative to trade me. it’s just business. Just say so and if you trade me i would like to go to a competitive team. Don’t send to me any Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again.house. This is something i deserve, after everything i have done for the Celtics and in my career’. He told me ‘no, i don’t have the slightest interest to trade you. I want to build the team around you”. After few days i found out he trade me to the worst organization there was back then: the Sixers. I could have react in many different ways. The Balkans are smarter than the Americans. So i decide to don’t lose my right. I didn’t ask him to trade me to the champions. I just wanted to play in a good team. But he didn’t want to do that. I wasn’t trade  because of my knee. If i would, i could finalize the trade. But that was something i didn’t want to do. So, we agreed on letting me to Europe.

Re: Dino Radja: Rick Pitino was a liar!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 01:26:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Dino Radja:  Water is wet

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 01:40:28 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
LOL.
He usually is like that.

What's worse is that he is a lousy national team manager. His conceptions of zeitgeist and basketball aren't contemporary, to say the least.

He said something similar about Pitino in Milorad Bibićs book.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 02:02:10 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
dino was awesome

this re-inforces that to me :)

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 03:25:41 PM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
LOL.
He usually is like that.

What's worse is that he is a lousy national team manager. His conceptions of zeitgeist and basketball aren't contemporary, to say the least.

Dino as a player and as manager are two different person.
I wanted to refer with this article more to Pitino than Dino. It is obvious that Pitino with Celtics was not just a bad episode, but waste of time for the Celtics. Some very good players were traded for nothing. Not just Radja.

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 03:44:44 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
LOL.
He usually is like that.

I wanted to refer with this article more to Pitino than Dino. It is obvious that Pitino with Celtics was not just a bad episode, but waste of time for the Celtics. Some very good players were traded for nothing. Not just Radja.

The whole Pitino era was like an episode in the loooong Knicks saga. He mismanaged as badly as any Knicks GM since Pat Riley.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 08:44:02 PM by liam »

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 11:47:01 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Pitino meant the end of Radja, Rick Fox and David Wesley as Celtics if I remember correctly..maybe even Eric Williams....Skreww Pitino~!
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 05:46:31 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
LOL.
He usually is like that.

Yes, Pitino (college coach) was an epic failure, which in hindsight makes Celtic Brad Stevens hiring even a braver, bolder one.
Rađa, as a player, made many moments happy for me. Jugoplastika (I was 7 years old but I remember watching him and Kukoč with my grandma), National squad (Barcelona was like a movie in sequels, each better than the last one) and of course I liked seeing him play well in Boston uniform.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 07:31:15 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
LOL.
He usually is like that.

The whole Pitino era was like an episode in the loooong Knicks saga. He mismanaged as badly as any Knicks GM since Pat Riley.

yup...this point in time was the lowest of the lows for me as a Celtics fan .  For me the whole team was pretty much an unwatchable experience . I guess the players were a product of there times.  rather unlikeable characters .

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 08:21:35 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Pitino meant the end of Radja, Rick Fox and David Wesley as Celtics if I remember correctly..maybe even Eric Williams....Skreww Pitino~!
That team needed to go away.  It was your classic team stuck in mediocrity.  Pitino didn't make all the right moves and made some bad ones, but breaking that team up was not one of them.  It was the execution on the break up that needed some work.  I mean when Ainge first came in, he broke up a much better team than the one Pitino moved on from.  If Ainge doesn't get lucky and acquire Garnett, how much different is he thought of around here.  I mean his first five years or so were in many respects as bad as Pitino's tenure and at least Pitino secured Pierce and multiple 1st round draft picks.  For quite awhile Ainge was trending worse.  I mean Jefferson was his best acquisition (Rondo showed some promise as a rookie just before Ray and KG) and he had a bunch of short sighted and awful trades, especially the Walker trade (he also tried to trade Pierce though Chris Paul would have worked out ok).  Ainge was bailed out by Seattle wanting to start over and Minnesota finally caving on a Garnett trade.  Those two things don't align perfectly and Ainge is a bigger disaster than Pitino. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 12:52:58 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
LOL.
He usually is like that.

yup...this point in time was the lowest of the lows for me as a Celtics fan .  For me the whole team was pretty much an unwatchable experience . I guess the players were a product of there times.  rather unlikeable characters .

I still watched but it was rough. We missed out on Tim Duncan got Pitino, it was a dark time. When PP got stabbed I thought it was just basically the end of the Celtics because it followed Bias and Reggie... It's a much better time to be a Celtics fan!