Author Topic: Will cancelling season pay a dividend for our young guys  (Read 2575 times)

Will cancelling season pay a dividend for our young guys
« on: May 03, 2020, 07:01:54 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Romeo and Robert Williams can make up for lost training and drills with coaches. Putting up shots and working on strength. Everybody on the Celtics knows the hard work put in by those before them. Obviously some will miss playoff experience but most of it will be from the bench and without a crowd will seem awkward.
Grant  can develop a 3 point shot .
Carson can recover his.
Romeo can get stronger and develop a three and pullup.

Re: Will cancelling season pay a dividend for our young guys
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 10:04:36 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I don't see the young guys benefitiing any
I ve read where Lakers /Lebron keeps putting out there comments  saying  season is not canceled even though 99% of the world thinks it is ...he really really wants that ring.  He says he is ready to continue NOW.   Before Kwahi and PG can heal up 100% again.

He ll whine enough they will try .

Our guys needed some rehab time .  Kanter especially ,  Hayward and Kemba too.

Celtics will be better for it in the long run , some of those guys would have got extra injuries as they tried to play hurt without proper healing time.

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 01:25:37 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I don't see the young guys benefitiing any
I ve read where Lakers /Lebron keeps putting out there comments  saying  season is not canceled even though 99% of the world thinks it is ...he really really wants that ring.  He says he is ready to continue NOW.   Before Kwahi and PG can heal up 100% again.

He ll whine enough they will try .

Our guys needed some rehab time .  Kanter especially ,  Hayward and Kemba too.

Celtics will be better for it in the long run , some of those guys would have got extra injuries as they tried to play hurt without proper healing time.

Do you think that if it the Lakers and Lebron weren't in position to possibly win a championship that not the finishing the season would be a fait accompli at this point?

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 04:07:06 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
If the season ends and the offseason begins it helps us a lot I think. Our window is just on the verge of being thrust open and we have no real major changes to make this offseason. We're likely gonna do some draft n stash, and maybe sign one guy to come off the bench. Otherwise, our decisions are fairly academic. Tatum gets the max. Hayward either opts in or opts out for the purpose of resigning. A couple of smaller decisions on Ojeleye, Wanamaker and Green to be made and what to do with Tacko and Waters but fairly low stress stuff with the majority of our team likely to return. We had some guys with some dings but they'll be ready to go as soon as the season starts back whenever it does with no pressure on us at all.

On the other hand. big decisions looming in Philly. What to do with that team and their coach. Toronto has Lowry, Gasol and Ibaka as FA. Do they let them all go and reload? Milwaukee needs to make the Finals like, immediately. The pressure is on. They lose a lot of really good momentum they had this season. Can they get back to that sharpness after a lost season like that?

In the West, that Lakers team is all one year contracts and going into what could be Lebron's final season, there's a lot of questions. The Clippers have a few decisions to make like with Harrell but I think they'll be okay.

But we could not be sitting in a better spot franchise-wise after all of this. As for individual players, I think TL maybe benefits the most since he was injured and he could use the chance to re-establish his value again.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 08:53:54 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
I would have liked to see us in a playoff situation at least, even in an asterisked season. See how we go in a 7 game series against Philly.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 09:35:05 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I would have liked to see us in a playoff situation at least, even in an asterisked season. See how we go in a 7 game series against Philly.

Yeah, I think any experience is good experience. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 10:02:06 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
If the season ends and the offseason begins it helps us a lot I think. Our window is just on the verge of being thrust open and we have no real major changes to make this offseason. We're likely gonna do some draft n stash, and maybe sign one guy to come off the bench. Otherwise, our decisions are fairly academic. Tatum gets the max. Hayward either opts in or opts out for the purpose of resigning. A couple of smaller decisions on Ojeleye, Wanamaker and Green to be made and what to do with Tacko and Waters but fairly low stress stuff with the majority of our team likely to return. We had some guys with some dings but they'll be ready to go as soon as the season starts back whenever it does with no pressure on us at all.

On the other hand. big decisions looming in Philly. What to do with that team and their coach. Toronto has Lowry, Gasol and Ibaka as FA. Do they let them all go and reload? Milwaukee needs to make the Finals like, immediately. The pressure is on. They lose a lot of really good momentum they had this season. Can they get back to that sharpness after a lost season like that?

In the West, that Lakers team is all one year contracts and going into what could be Lebron's final season, there's a lot of questions. The Clippers have a few decisions to make like with Harrell but I think they'll be okay.

But we could not be sitting in a better spot franchise-wise after all of this. As for individual players, I think TL maybe benefits the most since he was injured and he could use the chance to re-establish his value again.

TP-well reasoned and written post..
I was only looking at it from the loss of time that both TL and Romeo had going into their first seasons and the extra time gained with personal coaching and trainers and of course the game slowing down  and adjusting to speed and length of NBA players.
Romeo has a very good build but looks like he has to add man strength as well as his 3pt shooting.   Lets see how he attacks his weaknesses and how his game improves with the slowdown that is supposed to happen in second year-that goes for all the young guys.

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 06:49:43 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
No.
Being injured, unavailable, or unable to play doesn't make you a better player.
It makes you lose time that won't ever come back.
The same goes for all other players in all other sports.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 05:01:16 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I don't see any advantage for Celtic's players or the team overall.  No different than any other team really.  I see no upside for any player and only a downside if players get lulled into not keeping up their training.  So best case, you kind of hang in and maintain, worst case, you come back out of shape (mentally and/or physically) and then maybe get injured.