Author Topic: What does our roster look like next year?  (Read 27950 times)

Re: What does our roster look like next year?
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2020, 09:57:52 PM »

Online keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 550
To way in on the tax thing I think people are confusing "willing to pay the tax" with "willing to pay a VERY HIGH tax." The Celtics are a valuable franchise, but they dont own their own building and likely arent a VERY HIGH type of tax team especially if the team isn't a tier one contender at that point (ie like a 70 win team). I'd say if they are like 10 million over thats fine. 20 million probably not.

Its why having Langford and G Will perform well long term is so valuable, those are two potential cheap rotation guys the next three years.

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2020, 10:24:10 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2952
  • On To Banner 18!
Does anyone know what our payroll is if Hayward opts-in, and if he opts-out? TPs to anyone with an answer
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2020, 10:56:49 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
Does anyone know what our payroll is if Hayward opts-in, and if he opts-out? TPs to anyone with an answer

I don’t have the exact numbers so if your question pertains to luxury tax implications, I can’t help you there. But if your question pertains to cap flexibility then the scenarios are:
1. If Hayward opts in, we have the MLE
2. If only Hayward opts out, we are still over the cap and only have MLE
3. If Hayward opts out and we also don’t keep the rights to any of our pending guys, we’ll be under the cap and have enough space to sign someone just a shade above MLE (not a max contract).

- LilRip

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2020, 11:34:21 PM »

Offline rogueandpoet

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Great topic. I don't see a place for Poirier, Waters or Edwards. I think Hayward will re-do his contract believing that banners are on  the way. Tatumwill get Max sooner than later

PG    Walker, Smart, Wanamaker
Wings    Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Williams, Ojeleye, Langford
Bigs    Theis, Kanter, R Williams

Those are your keepers. Next is draft magic and overseas surprizes.

My guess is that Langford explodes and starts taking minutes from Wanamaker and Ojeleye. R Williams is the as yet unknown. His athletic abilities are off the charts.

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2020, 04:50:50 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
To way in on the tax thing I think people are confusing "willing to pay the tax" with "willing to pay a VERY HIGH tax." The Celtics are a valuable franchise, but they dont own their own building and likely arent a VERY HIGH type of tax team especially if the team isn't a tier one contender at that point (ie like a 70 win team). I'd say if they are like 10 million over thats fine. 20 million probably not.

Its why having Langford and G Will perform well long term is so valuable, those are two potential cheap rotation guys the next three years.

Yes, I would imagine Wyc and Co would be ok with paying luxury tax for a couple of years if we were going to content. Repeater tax over a period of years to try and keep possibly 4 or 5 max contracts together? Now that's a different story. I think even Joe Lacob and the Warriors were figuring out how to avoid that.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2020, 07:04:56 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If Kanter and Hayward opt in Spotrac has C's at 141 million. Hayward is at 34 million of that total. Kanter is at 5 million of that total. If both opt out which is likely C's are at 102 million. Cap is 109 right now, tax 139.

With the tax hitting at 139 million it's kind of important to resign Hayward at 25 to 28 million dollar per year range as they also have draft picks that add to cap. Not sure how MLE is applied since 102 is under the cap floor.

Another note is 2021 will be a mess tax wise as Tatum's contract then kicks in. Team will be at 170-180 million range if they kept Hayward and their picks. Average predicted tax line is 150 for that year.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 07:23:18 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2020, 08:43:25 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I think Danny will finally make a meaningful trade.  Something like Turner for Smart and Langford.
Trading for Turner would make Theis expendable. I mean, they are both defensive minded bigs. If you ask me, I'd rather include Theis in that trade instead of Langford.

Assuming Hayward + Kanter stay (which is far from certain), I'd do two major moves:

1. Trade Smart + Theis to the Pacers for Myles Turner

2. Trade up for Tyrese Haliburton from Iowa State.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MazNHgHI8Q

Oversized PG, averaging 15.2 points, 5.9 rebs, 6.5 assists, 2.5 steals, 0.7 blocks and 2.8 t/o per game. Shooting 50.4% from the floor, 41.9% from three (in 5.6 attempts per game) and 82.2% from the free throw line. Very good defender as well. If you ask me, he reminds me of SGA. Nbadraft.net has him at #11. It's possible that he'll be available with the Memphis pick. If not, we can always trade up for him using our late firsts.

Kemba - Haliburton - Wanamaker or Waters
Brown - Langford - Edwards
Hayward - Semi
Tatum - G. Williams
Turner - Kanter - R. Williams

Fill the remaining roster spots with pick(s)/minimum vets.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 10:29:16 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2020, 08:56:57 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I think Danny will finally make a meaningful trade.  Something like Turner for Smart and Langford.
Trading for Turner would make Theis expendable. I mean, they are both defensive minded bigs. If you ask me, I'd rather include Theis in that trade instead of Langford.

Assuming Hayward + Kanter stay (which is far from certain), I'd do two major moves:

Oversized PG, averaging 15.2 points, 5.9 rebs, 6.5 assists, 2.5 steals, 0.7 blocks and 2.8 t/o per game. Shooting 50.4 from the floor, 41.9% from three (in 5.6 attempts per game), 82.2% from the line. Very good defender as well. If you ask me, he reminds me of SGA. Nbadraft.net has him at #11. It's possible that he'll be available with the Memphis pick. If not, we cal always trade up for him using our late firsts.

Hayward - Semi
Tatum - G. Williams

I don't think I'd make that deal. I think Smart's roughly as valuable as Turner, he's older and has a shorter contract, but him being a better player and getting paid less per year makes up for it (if not more than). I'm definitely not adding a quality rotation big in Theis unless I'm getting something of value back, Indiana would bite our hands off if the were offered such a deal. Haliburton looks like a tantalising prospect though, nice find!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2020, 08:57:21 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

Oversized PG, averaging 15.2 points, 5.9 rebs, 6.5 assists, 2.5 steals, 0.7 blocks and 2.8 t/o per game. Shooting 50.4 from the floor, 41.9% from three (in 5.6 attempts per game), 82.2% from the line. Very good defender as well. If you ask me, he reminds me of SGA. Nbadraft.net has him at #11. It's possible that he'll be available with the Memphis pick. If not, we cal always trade up for him using our late firsts.

Hayward - Semi
Tatum - G. Williams

Like the draft pick, would be hard to trade up if Grizz pick falls past 15.

Id rather keep Theis over Kanter but it's a slim margin.

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2020, 09:00:15 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I imagine Danny is going to do everything he can to stay out of the tax next season. We were in it the past two seasons, so if we go into it again next season, then the penalty will apply to us immediately (the rule is 3 out of 4 seasons). If we find a way to stay under, then the clock will completely restart. This has to be a factor knowing this team will likely be a tax team for many years to come.

I would say that re-signing Hayward to a Jaylen-type deal (instead of him picking up his $34M option) will go a long way in doing this. It'll also give us the option to use most or all of the full MLE (not the tax payer MLE) and even maybe the LLE depending on other roster moves. Hopefully we can keep Kanter at 120% of his current contract on a re-signed deal.

If I were to guess, Poirier, Tacko, and Green will definitely not be with the team next season. And a decision will have to be made between Wanamaker or Waters (or neither if a better vet PG option comes up) and maybe even Edwards.

So barring any trades,  I think we are looking at: Kemba, Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Theis, Kanter, GWill, TL, Romeo, Semi, BW/TW/CE(?), MLE player, Min/LLE player, 1st round rookie. Two two-ways (2nd rounders/undrafted). And I think Danny will try to push one or two 1st rounders down the road (or consolidate them).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 09:31:21 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2020, 09:02:12 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
If C's have the MLE maybe they bring back Baynes to replace Kanter.

Also what happens if Giannis doesn't take a supermax extension? Do teams start looking to create cap space and deal good players for expiring deals and picks?

It's hard to project what will be the team.

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2020, 09:06:31 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
I imagine Danny is going to do everything he can to stay out of the tax next season. We were in it the past two seasons, so if we go into it again next season, then the penalty will apply to us immediately (the rule is 3 out of 4 seasons). If we find a way to stay under, then the clock will completely restart. This has to be a factor knowing this team will likely be a tax team for many years to come.

I would say that re-signing Hayward to a Jaylen-type deal (instead of him picking up his $34M option) will go a long way in doing this. It'll also give us the option to use most or all of the full MLE (not the tax payer MLE) and even maybe the LLE depending on other roster moves. Hopefully we can keep Kanter at 120% of his current contract on a re-signed deal.

If I were to guess, Poirier, Tacko, and Green will definitely not be with the team next season. And a decision will have to be made between Wanamaker or Waters (or neither if a better vet PG option comes up) and maybe even Edwards.

So barring any trades,  I think we are looking at: Kemba, Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Theis, Kanter, GWill, TL, Romeo, Semi, BW/TW/CE(?), MLE player, Min/LLE player, 1st round rookie. Two two-ways 2nd rounders/undrafted. And I think Danny will try to push one or two 1st rounder down the road (or consolidate them).
Green is almost a lock to stay. He is serviceable and under $900k next year.

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2020, 09:26:04 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

So barring any trades,  I think we are looking at: Kemba, Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Theis, Kanter, GWill, TL, Romeo, Semi, BW/TW/CE(?), MLE player, Min/LLE player, 1st round rookie. Two two-ways (2nd rounders/undrafted). And I think Danny will try to push one or two 1st rounders down the road (or consolidate them).

I could see him staying with the team - I am actually a big fan of his - just not sure we will have the roster spots. You are right about the money, though. If the difference between Green and a LLE player is going into the tax, then Green will be the guy. Same reasoning goes for Edwards, although we would need to trade him (instead of letting him go) because of his contract. I suppose he could be packaged with Poirier if a team values him enough; otherwise, we may be attaching a 2nd to get rid of Poirier.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 09:31:46 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2020, 09:39:54 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

I could see him staying with the team - I am actually a big fan of his - just not sure we will have the roster spots. You are right about the money, though. If the difference between Green and a LLE player is going into the tax, then Green will be the guy. Same reasoning goes for Edwards, although we would need to trade him (instead of letting him go) because of his contract. I suppose he could be packaged with Poirier if a team values him enough; otherwise, we may be attaching a 2nd to get rid of Poirier.
I'm not out on VP just yet but understand if dealt. I think most Euro bigs take a year to get used to style of play here. He should improve.

I put Semi in with Green as roster guys who value per pay is high so they have to stay.

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2020, 09:52:13 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I can't really answer this question until this season is over. Whether we make a deep playoff run, or we lose in the first round, will probably make a difference.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum