Author Topic: What does our roster look like next year?  (Read 27952 times)

Re: What does our roster look like next year?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2020, 04:22:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The reality is

I think next season is the last season you can keep the big 4

Otherwise with Tatum up for the max extension for 2021-2022...

Celts top 4(plus Smart) would stanglehold the team cap with barely any wiggle room to even be able to fill out the roster
Ownership should be willing to pay the max otherwise we will turn into the pacers

Yes but you cant have 4 max or near max salaries on one team

I mean you can but the bench will suck

2021-2022

Kemba 34
Tatum  35
GH 34
Brown 23
Smart 14

= approx 140 million

And this is not even including the rest of the team salary!

Cap expected to drop below 120 (next season). Doubt it would jump that much the year after that

You do the math. Wyc would need to pay a heavy price. Cant see that happening
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 04:27:58 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2020, 04:35:46 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
The reality is

Celts top 4(plus Smart) would stanglehold the team cap with barely any wiggle room to even be able to fill out the roster
Ownership should be willing to pay the max otherwise we will turn into the pacers

Yes but you cant have 4 max or near max salaries on one team

I mean you can but the bench will suck

2021-2022

Kemba 34
Tatum  35
GH 34
Brown 23
Smart 14

= approx 140 million

And this is not even including the rest of the team salary!

Cap expected to drop below 120 (next season). Doubt it would jump that much the year after that

You do the math. Wyc would need to pay a heavy price. Cant see that happening
Assuming Gordon restructures his contract at around $25M and Tatum gets $30M his first year of max extension I have the core 5 at $130M. Luxury tax kicks in at around $150M for that year... I think we will be fine with all those other cheap contracts like Semi , Carsen and Grant ...

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2020, 04:38:41 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
- due to Brown contact kicking in, GH likely picking up his player option and projected salary cap dropping... something will have to give

-  I think Kanter will sign elsewhere for more money.  He has already proven he is worth more than 5 million per season

-  Poirier and Edwards could be traded to alleviate the cap situation

-  Good chance Theis and Semi team options are picked up. I dont think Wannamaker returns for a minimal contract again

- Not sure what will happen on draft night.  Need to be mindful of the cap, so trade one or two 1st for futures picks or draft and stash.  But also if Kanter leaves etc.  need to fill roster

-  One thing for sure, looks like the Celts will have one of the highest team payroll next season and Wyc will need to pay tax. Something he has been able to avoid for nearly a decade

I'd agree with all of the above, except I don't see Edwards going anywhere as cheap as he is, unless they give up on him. We'd have to be in a razor thin position re: hitting the luxury tax for his tiny salary to matter.

Shame that we look to be in a spot to lose Kanter. He's a good fit off our bench, and I think he loves it here. I think the only way he'll be back is if Gordon opts out and then leaves outside of a S&T situation.

I think you're spot on, Danny will try to trade or stash 1 or 2 of our 1st rounders. He'll also probably draft a wing in the mid-first and most of the board will lose their minds.

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2020, 04:43:26 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Hope we can keep Enes..Hayward hold all the cards on what Celts can and can’t do..I get rid of Semi, Carsen, Robert Williams, Wanamaker, Poirier
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2020, 04:46:28 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307
The reality is

Ownership should be willing to pay the luxury tax otherwise we will turn into the pacers

We'd be heavily in the tax. Wyc isn't going to throw $40 million or whatever it might be in tax away unless we're seriously contending this year and next. We'd be looking at $140 million or so just in our top 5 players. It'll be fascinating to see how Ainge sees Gordon fitting in with the Js beyond this year, and what constraints Wyc puts on him.

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2020, 04:54:56 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
The reality is

Ownership should be willing to pay the luxury tax otherwise we will turn into the pacers

We'd be heavily in the tax. Wyc isn't going to throw $40 million or whatever it might be in tax away unless we're seriously contending this year and next. We'd be looking at $140 million or so just in our top 5 players. It'll be fascinating to see how Ainge sees Gordon fitting in with the Js beyond this year, and what constraints Wyc puts on him.

Hopefully Celtics ownership hasn't been hanging out with Red Sox ownership...  ::)

Agree, though. I think Wyc is willing to go into the tax if it means we're a legit title threat. But I mean... take this team as-is. Now make Tatum and Brown a year older, probably both All Stars. Kemba probably still at that level. Hayward another year removed from injury, and already see how good he is/can be. Also have Paul George as an example of a strong return from a similar injury - i.e., Gordon may be even better next year. That's a heckuva team. Are if your top 4 players are all-stars or play like all-stars, can you win a title? Yes. That means we can win this year, too, by the way.

Don't know what the landscape is in the East, but we do know that today the Celtics are the league's youngest team. Simply running it back is a great option and I think as well as we've played for stretches this year, we're poised to improve simply by organic development. Heck, not even mentioning the Williams and Langford potentially getting solid rotation.

I don't see Ainge and Wyc getting nervous enough about the payroll in a few years to kneecap the team's chances at a Finals run next season.

Count me as well in the camp that believes Hayward will restructure with BOS for a 4-year deal well shy of the max. Typically I never expect players to do that, but this is a unique situation.

"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2020, 05:00:31 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
We get 15 roster spots, plus two two-way deals.

Guaranteed contracts:
1.  Kemba
2.  Tatum
3.  Brown
4.  Smart
5.  Langford
6.  G. Williams
7.  R. Williams
8.  Poirier
9.  Edwards

Non-guaranteed:
1. Theis
2. Green

Team option:
1. Ojeleye

Player option:
1. Kanter
2. Hayward

Two-way:
1. Tacko
2. Waters

Draft picks:
17th
27th
30th
46th
possibly C's own pick if they fall enough in the standings -- 53 or lower)

Poirier, Green, Ojeleye, and Wanamaker are probably all gone.
Tacko and Waters should get four year contracts.
Theis and Gordon will be back. Hopefully Kanter will stay.
If all of that happens, that leaves us two slots to fit in our first rounders and free agents.

How do you see it playing out?
I think it's a given that Wanamaker is gone -- more money elsewhere.  I think the same for Green - about 95% sure.  Poirier - very likely gone -- about 95% sure and 95% sure it'll require the use of a late first rounder to move him.
Semi - if he continues to improve his 3pt shooting, I'm not so sure the C's just cut him loose.  maybe 50% chance. 
Waters - about 75% chance he gets the real contract to replace Wanamaker.  Will have to really show some improvement over the level of play we've just seen.
Tacko - stays on the 2-way contract.  he's at least 2 years away from being someone who could be 4th on the center depth chart.

Leaves 3 likely slots open on the main roster with Waters taking one so down to 2.  I think 1 of the firsts are moved with Poirier to open his slot. 

Figure MLE used to bring back Kanter. 

C's use the Memphis pick to add another young prospect.  C's trade the first rounder they didn't use to move Poirier in a deal to get a future first.  Danny takes a swing with the Nets 2nd rounder he has and does the same if he doesn't lose the C's second rounder.  if neither second rounder looks promising, sign a vet min guy for the bench or leave the slot open for a future trade or waiver pickup. 

Outside possibility Edwards is also traded, either in same deal with Poirier or with that other late first rounder to open up another slot or bring in a decent vet for the bench.

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2020, 05:29:33 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
The reality is

They've said they would pay the tax if we are competitive and can go deep into the playoffs.

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2020, 06:05:23 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I'll be honest. Nobody's roster idea makes me think we can definitely when a championship next year. If Hayward and/or Kanter leave, we could be worse.

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2020, 06:11:07 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
I'll be honest. Nobody's roster idea makes me think we can definitely when a championship next year. If Hayward and/or Kanter leave, we could be worse.
I agree we would have (and have at the moment ) depth to overcome injuries and beat on other teams that are injured and tired with less depth. Depth will not be so helpful when we get to the playoffs as the opposing teams are better than regular season / more rested and with better defined rotation ( and deploy the occasional top 5 player which we don’t have)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 06:25:56 PM by NKY fan »

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2020, 06:40:59 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
I keep Kanter over Theis ...plus the top four

Hope we can see more of TimeLord , everytime he starts to polish out a little , then he gets nicked up.  I m thinking bar a trade DA has to go for ,  he keeps RWill fo,r another look see season..cheap.

Of the rest , looks like Romeo and Grant will stick .

i jsut wonder will Danny use any draft picks at all  ?   Maybe look a acouple second rounder long shots late guys hoping to find a jem in apile of gravel.

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2020, 07:06:03 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

The most important roster moves for winning a title will be the progress our young players make. Primarily that means Tatum, Brown, and Smart. They’re all significantly better this year compared to last, and they’re all young enough to take another big step. To some extent I’d add the Williamses and Romeo, who might become more reliable rotation players. If the older players can tread water, that’s a meaningfully better team without adding a new body. That’s before we talk about other moves, where hopefully we’ve got one or two up our sleeve with the picks and MLE. 

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2020, 07:50:28 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1673
Hayward and Kanter are the biggest question marks.  No reason to let Theis walk at that price, and the rest of the top 7 are locked in.

The market is favorable for Hayward to go get one more contract.  My assumption is that it will take a market-competitive offer from us to keep him, but I think both parties have incentive to make it happen.  I’m optimistic that we’ll keep him.

Kanter is harder to figure.  On one hand, he appears to love playing here and I think the feeling is mutual.  But on the other hand, I think there’s a real chance that somebody offers him more than we’re able to pay, and in that case, he should go get paid. 

The margins of the rotation will change.  I think Wanamaker and Green leave for more money and bigger roles.  Ojeleye is 50/50.  Poirier probably doesn’t make it to the end of this season, let alone the next.  I think we sign Waters, but not sure about Tacko. 

Romeo has a great opportunity to seize Wanamaker’s vacated minutes as the second guard off the bench.  I guess Edwards does too, but I’m less hopeful in his case.  I think GWilliams will stay in the rotation.  Not sure what RWilliams will do, but the talent is there... is the health and consistency?

That leaves two spots for rookies or free agents, depending on the variables I mentioned.  I’d guess that we use the Memphis pick and trade off the others for future picks or non-guaranteed seconds. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2020, 08:02:24 PM by Atzar »

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2020, 09:04:30 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I want to keep the starting five. So keep Theis try to resign Hayward.

Let Wana, and Kanter go get paid like Al did last year.

Draft a few bigs or make sure we can sign one.

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2020, 09:46:06 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548
I think Danny will finally make a meaningful trade.  Something like Turner for Smart and Langford.  I think this postseason will lead to the conclusion it is time to balance the roster and really start preparing for Tatum to take over.  I also expect him to move 2 of the picks (or maybe use all 3 to move up).

So I'd say something like this

PG - Walker, Wannamaker, Waters
SG - Brown, Rookie, Edwards
SF - Hayward, Semi
PF - Tatum, Theis, Williams
C - Turner, Kanter, Williams, Fall

So that is my 15 with some 2nd rounders as the TW
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip