Poll

Well is he?

Yes, he is a minister of defence shooting 37% from downtown.
8 (53.3%)
No, he is not, there are folks in front of him.
5 (33.3%)
I can't decide just yet, it an opened question.
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Is Smart the best 3&D player in the league?  (Read 4638 times)

Is Smart the best 3&D player in the league?
« on: January 22, 2019, 04:10:15 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I have been delaying to start a thread like this having a superstition that his long-range shooting would regress.
But after 3 months of basketball Marcus is shooting a .367 clip from downtown (66/180), the thing we have been waiting for 5 years now.
League average is .355, so he is above that mark now. Also, his true shooting (.564) is by far the best of his career.
The defensive part was never in question as he can guard 4 offensive players present on the floor most of the time.

I don't think that superstar guys like Kawhi and PG13 should count in this conversation. 3&D is reserved for role players in my book.
At 13,7% usage, Marcus is definitely that.

So, is he the best 3&D guy in the league? If not give me a better one.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 05:42:21 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Re: Is Smart the best 3&D player in the league?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 04:31:02 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
I think you can say fairly safely is he is capable of guarding 1 through FIVE.

He knows how to front and recoup after a lob.

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 06:28:19 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think he is very early in his so called good shooing phase to anoint him just yet.   Big Shot Bob, cames to mind as a better one.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 06:29:31 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
I think he is very early in his so called good shooing phase to anoint him just yet.  Big Shot Bob, cames to mind as a better one.
He retired a decade ago.
Smart's shooting is still in question, I agree, but let's take into consideration just this year, defense and efficiency up to this point.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 06:58:27 AM by Androslav »

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 07:14:41 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
I have been delaying to start a thread like this having a superstition that his long-range shooting would regress.
But after 3 months of basketball Marcus is shooting a .367 clip from downtown (66/180), the thing we have been waiting for 5 years now.
League average is .355, so he is above that mark now. Also, his true shooting (.564) is by far the best of his career.
The defensive part was never in question as he can guard 4 offensive players present on the floor most of the time.

I don't think that superstar guys like Kawhi and PG13 should count in this conversation. 3&D is reserved for role players in my book.

Kawhi and PG aren't 3&D guys not because they are superstars but because they do a lot more than shooting the 3 on offense. Also no reason why 3&D should be reserved for role players, and we really can't use the "in my book" argument because it's too arbitrary.

The closest thing to a true 3&D that is also a star has got to be Klay Thompson.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 07:18:19 AM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
Jeez three threads all started by you Androslav!

I think not. He still needs a few months before we know if his 3 point shooting is legit (even then, he still kinda sucks shooting it).

Not to mention, Smart is also a solid backup playmaker.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 07:31:48 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Khris Middleton, or is he too well-rounded to be strictly 3&D?

His defense isn't as good as Smart's, but almost nobody's is.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 07:53:08 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

I thought about Middleton too, but his offense is a bit more well-rounded. Danny Green perhaps?

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 07:59:13 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I'd say Middleton is too well-rounded to be a 3&D guy. He's a legit 20-5-5 player with elite defence.

Ariza is still incredibly serviceable and he's been killing it for the Wizards, averaging 15-6-4.5-1.6. Danny Green is a good one too
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 08:09:08 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

I'd say Middleton is too well-rounded to be a 3&D guy. He's a legit 20-5-5 player with elite defense.

Ariza is still incredibly serviceable and he's been killing it for the Wizards, averaging 15-6-4.5-1.6. Danny Green is a good one too
Danny is top shelf 3&D no doubt. Both shooting and defending.
As for Middleton, I think he is serviceable, middle of the pack defender, not really a guy you can stick on opponents best wing guy.
Whenever I saw him on best guys he couldn't stop them. Not that great navigating screens too.
Something Milwaukee actually misses is a great wing defender. Giannis could probably do it better than Middleton, but he is too important to tire on that end or even worse to get into foul trouble.

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 08:14:32 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

Kawhi and PG aren't 3&D guys not because they are superstars but because they do a lot more than shooting the 3 on offense. Also no reason why 3&D should be reserved for role players, and we really can't use the "in my book" argument because it's too arbitrary.

The closest thing to a true 3&D that is also a star has got to be Klay Thompson.
What makes role players - role players?
I think it is simply lower usage rate.
Kawhi (30,3%), Klay (26,6%), and PG13 (29,2%) can be that, but it would be underutilizing their considerable talents.
On the other hand, Smart (13,7%)  thrives now with his diminished offensive role.
It is logical as he is the least capable offensive player out of our starting 5.

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 08:15:15 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Klay Thompson.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 09:26:13 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

No

Cmon now

He still has a long way to go (shooting)

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 09:26:45 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Klay Thompson.

Is only 70 percent of the defender Smart is

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 09:44:15 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Marcus is a bulldog on the court .  Nobody i can think of matches his intensity he plays with the whole time he is on the court. He doesn't have time to score , he is busy doing all the thinking and making plays out of nothing and holding the teams defense together.  Smart is a busy man on court .  Like KG was....all into the game.

If Lance Stevenson ak..." Tin Man ".IF ."I only had a brain"   ;D. he  might have been great .