Author Topic: Fultz still can't shoot  (Read 24737 times)

Re: Fultz still can't shoot
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2018, 07:42:22 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
https://twitter.com/jonjohnsonwip/status/956284647713001473/video/1

Good Lord, somehow his shot is looking even worse the longer this thing drags on.

This has to be the yips at this point, right?

How the hell do you develop that kind of hitch in your shot, especially in a free throw?

Yeah, it has to be the yips.  That’s a career-ender, potentially.

I’d lie to the kid, tell him his shoulder is damaged and he needs surgery, and somehow find a doctor who will perform something fake for him.  He needs to believe that it’s not in his head, and the “rehab” hasn’t worked to do that.

« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2018, 09:02:20 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
Oh god, that is atrocious. 

Man, the Celtics may have really dodged a bullet here.    Definitely looks like some Knoblauch stuff going on with the kid.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2018, 09:11:26 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Man, the Celtics may have really dodged a bullet here.    Definitely looks like some Knoblauch stuff going on with the kid.
I'm not sure how true the rumor was but Ainge would have taken Tatum at 1 if he didn't make the trade.
I was a huge fan of Fultz. He had a nice looking game in college. His current state is one of the weirdest thing I've seen in a long time.

« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2018, 09:12:12 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Sixers should NOT let those videos leak...

« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2018, 09:20:33 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2904
I feel bad for Fultz. He seems like a good kid that has just had a tough go of things lately.

I was fully onboard the Fultz train, but the one reservation I had about him was the mental game, as I thought he lacked a fiery, passionate streak. Boy was that reservation validated!

« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2018, 09:23:48 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Found a video on youtube of him shooting from across the practice facility.
At least half the shots were actually JJ Reddick shooting.

« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2018, 09:25:40 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

Good Lord, somehow his shot is looking even worse the longer this thing drags on.

How the hell do you develop that kind of hitch in your shot, especially in a free throw?

I’d lie to the kid, tell him his shoulder is damaged and he needs surgery, and somehow find a doctor who will perform something fake for him.  He needs to believe that it’s not in his head, and the “rehab” hasn’t worked to do that.
That is a good approach.
However, they have already done that, saying he has a muscle imbalance.
The kid knows whats happening to him, he is smart.

I feel bad for him.
And really good about our end of the bargain.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #82 on: January 25, 2018, 10:28:48 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
That's not a leak, it was taken by a beat reporter during what I assume is the media availability portion of practice. I'm not sure that taking active measures to hide Fultz will be better.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2018, 02:53:31 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

It has actually reminded me of Knoblauch! Good call

« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2018, 03:04:23 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

That is a good approach.

I feel bad for him.

That’s why you do a fake surgery.  Find a doctor, tell him to examine him.  If there’s something structural, fix it.  If there’s not, tell him there is and pretend to fix it.  Heck, have him tell the team the same thing he tells Fultz, so they don’t know either. Even if all you’re doing is removing a benign mole, he needs to think that there was actually something holding him back.  And the coaching staff does too, frankly.

I’m sure it’s probably unethical, but he needs to go into surgery thinking there’s something wrong that he’s actually having a surgical procedure to correct, and wake up being told he had the surgery with a small scar to prove it.  You can’t think your way out of the yips.

« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2018, 03:33:48 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

It has actually reminded me of Knoblauch! Good call

I was reminded of Dan Bard.

Thinking about it, it seems like baseball and golf are probably the most common examples where we see the "yips."

But has there ever been a basketball player who lost it? Even on wide open shots and free throws?

I mean maybe Nick Anderson is someone, but he never collapsed as completely as the myth tells it.

« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2018, 03:45:14 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
There was no "leak". A reporter took a video and shared it. That is what they do.

But, man, that body language is bad. Then again, there were narratives out there pre-draft questioning his drive and mental makeup.

« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2018, 03:49:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

That is a good approach.

I feel bad for him.

That’s why you do a fake surgery.  Find a doctor, tell him to examine him.  If there’s something structural, fix it.  If there’s not, tell him there is and pretend to fix it.  Heck, have him tell the team the same thing he tells Fultz, so they don’t know either. Even if all you’re doing is removing a benign mole, he needs to think that there was actually something holding him back.  And the coaching staff does too, frankly.

I’m sure it’s probably unethical, but he needs to go into surgery thinking there’s something wrong that he’s actually having a surgical procedure to correct, and wake up being told he had the surgery with a small scar to prove it.  You can’t think your way out of the yips.

Sounds like something from black mirror

« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2018, 03:58:03 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be

That is a good approach.

I feel bad for him.

Sounds like something from black mirror

Great show.   Start binging it a couple of weeks ago.  Almost done with season three. 

What SL is suggesting is dark and most likely unethical but it's an awesome idea.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2018, 04:28:06 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
76'ers said he was healthy just needs to get his shot back....that was a month ago. Cant really explain what it is. BUT some players just never transition to the NBA well

Look at Okafor...