Author Topic: Fultz still can't shoot  (Read 24730 times)

Re: Fultz still can't shoot
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 01:16:48 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
This is seriously looking like a repeat of the trade of the pick that turned into Joe Barely Cares for McHale and Parrish. 

Well, that is IF the pick that conveys from Philly turns out to an All Star.  So yeah, I'm getting a little ahead of myself. 

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 01:28:51 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Another video of Him shooting (he's #20 in the back court)

https://twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/status/951467972660547585

Its not an isolated incident. Shot is messed up

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 01:29:36 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
This is seriously looking like a repeat of the trade of the pick that turned into Joe Barely Cares for McHale and Parrish. 

Well, that is IF the pick that conveys from Philly turns out to an All Star.  So yeah, I'm getting a little ahead of myself.
if its Tatum and ayton/Bagley, would be perfect lol

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 01:42:07 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I recall Fultz playing and shooting pretty well in summer league before he was shut down.

These videos show the full spectrum from HS to now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GAcA0F2qvw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mhy6ytZNQw

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 02:12:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Definitely one of the more bizarre draft stories I can recall in a while.

We hear a lot about physical evaluations of draft prospects in the run-up to the draft, but if there are extensive mental and psychiatric evaluations, we don't hear about them.

Fultz may be a situation where the talent is great but the kid's head is a mess.  That tends to derail careers, though guys like that sometimes find a way back (see: Michael Beasley).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2018, 03:05:44 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Another video of Him shooting (he's #20 in the back court)

https://twitter.com/PompeyOnSixers/status/951467972660547585

Its not an isolated incident. Shot is messed up
Body language is awful, too. He really looks like doesn't want to be there.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 03:18:53 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Dudes.
  is no one " trusting the process"???

c mon

wheres your trust???

:)

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 03:42:40 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 736
His shot looks like Charles Barkley's golf swing.

I'll echo those who think it's too early to call a 19 year old a bust. He's got plenty of time to figure out his shot and get comfortable in the NBA and become an all star. But this is not a good start.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 04:03:21 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 548
Ya I'm gonna withhold judgment on whether he can shoot untill he is healthy and playing in nba games. Untill then I feel like you can see whatever you want in his warm up shot. It's way to early to judge this trade, although early returns look promising for us.

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 04:35:41 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The warning signs were there in College too.   Who hides for half a season resting knees?   A guy who has something to hide....

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 04:42:25 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

We hear a lot about physical evaluations of draft prospects in the run-up to the draft, but if there are extensive mental and psychiatric evaluations, we don't hear about them.

Fultz may be a situation where the talent is great but the kid's head is a mess.  That tends to derail careers, though guys like that sometimes find a way back (see: Michael Beasley).
actually there was a story that brad Stevens asked Fultz high school guidance counselor  to see how Fultz learns. I now wonder what they discovered

Joan Phalen, the assistant director of academic support at Fultz’s alma mater, DeMatha Catholic High School, recently received a surprising phone call from the head coach of the Boston Celtics.

“I had a wonderful conversation with Brad Stevens,” said Phalen, who worked with Fultz almost daily during his time at the private high school in Hyattsville, Md. “He was so interested in how Markelle learns, and I just thought that was an amazing concept for a coach to be interested in and concerned about. We had a great conversation.”

“[Stevens] was interested in how [Fultz] learns,” Phalen said. “How he handles disappointment when he confronts weakness in some part of his development, specifically in academics. We talked about his personality.”

Phalen said she told Stevens that Fultz, who graduated from DeMatha in 2016, displayed an unusual dedication to learning. Fultz would often ask her to meet with him at 6 a.m. on school days — nearly two hours before class started — and also on weekends.

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 04:45:52 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

TP. Definitely 30 for 30 material in the making.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 04:53:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
I recall Fultz playing and shooting pretty well in summer league before he was shut down.

Do you feel like Philly may have been sold a bill of goods?
I have no idea what happened with Fultz, I just recall he shot something like 40% from three in summer league and didn't have some weird FT motion.  My guess is he was legitimately hurt and sometime during that down time he tinkered with his shot (maybe because he was hurt or maybe not) and messed it up and hasn't gotten the ship righted yet.  I suspect he does at some point and that immense scoring potential he showed in college he will show again in the NBA.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2018, 05:31:25 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Do you feel like Philly may have been sold a bill of goods?
I have no idea what happened with Fultz, I just recall he shot something like 40% from three in summer league and didn't have some weird FT motion.  My guess is he was legitimately hurt and sometime during that down time he tinkered with his shot (maybe because he was hurt or maybe not) and messed it up and hasn't gotten the ship righted yet.  I suspect he does at some point and that immense scoring potential he showed in college he will show again in the NBA.
Based on those videos, his shot is already starting to get weird during SL. But even in HS/college he tended to not put a lot of lower body in his motion, and seemed to miss short a lot. Perhaps he tried to "fix" his FTs and it all went downhill from there?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2018, 06:08:03 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
His shot was never textbook. It would go in, in college, but so did Lonzo Ball's, and the guy basically shoots sideways like kids used to do when goofing around. The NBA line is further back, and the defense is too fast for there to be anything wrong with your mechanics.

The difference is the Lakers were wise to not tinker with it until at minimum the off season. Obviously the Sixers don't care about winning. Each season is just a show until they can yank their good players with suspect injuries while selling some memorabilia backed by a fanbase that really could care less meanwhile chanting about some fictional process like a cult.

Either the Sixers were so disinterested in Fultz that they didn't even notice a shoulder injury or an unsolicited change of shot, or it was their idea and are now trying to act as if it wasn't. Which one is it? Which of these reporters who keeps posting these videos on twitter is going to do their job and ask?

There are not enough bad words to describe the Sixers along with their fanbase that are complicit in this BS. The Sixers ownership and management must be held accountable by their fans since the league is clearly not doing it.