Author Topic: Fultz still can't shoot  (Read 24741 times)

Re: Fultz still can't shoot
« Reply #120 on: February 09, 2018, 02:42:25 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2758605-markelle-fultz-may-or-may-not-return-to-76ers-this-season-says-bryan-colangelo?share=other

Colangelo saying Fultz might be out for the year. What a mess.

Their medical staff needs to be investigated. That just doesn't make sense.

Why medical staff? He never had an injury it's been debunked many times over, including by their own front office. He has a mental problem. they should have traded him for a mid 1st to a team willing to take on junk bonds.
exactly

Muscle imbalance is a symptom but not a diagnosed injury

« Reply #121 on: February 09, 2018, 02:53:16 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
There are only 30 games left.  If Fultz isn't ready to play to a level that won't hurt their playoff chances, they should wait until next year to play him. 

« Reply #122 on: February 09, 2018, 02:57:31 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I feel nothing but compassion for Fultz, who seems like a really nice young man, and also a very gifted basketball player.

I went through struggles trying to adjust my jump shot in college ball, with negative results, and eventually returned my form to how I shot in HS, when my shooting percentage improved.

Personally, I learned through the years that the most important thing about your mechanics is to not think about it. Mentally you should just be connecting to the confidence you feel when you are about to take a shot, knowing it's going to go in before you take the shot. When you think about your mechanics, you tend to tighten up, which causes you to miss. This is equally true when throwing a pass in football, or pitching in baseball. 

Your brain is either your best friend or your worst enemy. Right now, it is Markelle's enemy.

Watch guys like Reggie Miller shoot. Horrible mechanics.

Watch Steph Curry shoot.  He often walks away before the shot goes in, because his confidence told him it already was going in. 

I'm not saying that good mechanics are not preferable to poor mechanics. But unless you are trained at an early age with good mechanics, you are probably better off just leaving them alone, particularly if you have been able to achieve great results with the sub-par mechanics.

Fultz should be reminded that he was the number one player selected in the draft  with those mechanics, so he should feel confident that he can excel at this level with them.  His greatness was in his ability to both shoot from the outside and penetrate and finish effortlessly.  That guy is still there. He needs to go find him.

Hope he does.

« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2018, 10:37:50 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2018, 10:40:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2912
  • On To Banner 18!
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2759090-report-markelle-fultz-76ers-using-vr-goggles-to-help-with-shooting-struggles

Apparently, Fultz is using virtual reality technology (goggles) to help with his ailing shot.

YIKES. That doesn't seem good at all even long term...  :o
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2018, 10:54:13 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2759090-report-markelle-fultz-76ers-using-vr-goggles-to-help-with-shooting-struggles

Apparently, Fultz is using virtual reality technology (goggles) to help with his ailing shot.

i can’t even stand straight with those headsets on. Lol I can’t imagine what covering your eyes and trying to learn to shoot a basketball does

« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2018, 10:57:32 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

i can’t even stand straight with those headsets on. Lol I can’t imagine what covering your eyes and trying to learn to shoot a basketball does

Same here.  Maybe it’s supposed to make a real hoop seem easier.

« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2018, 04:20:45 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697

Same here.  Maybe it’s supposed to make a real hoop seem easier.

Why don't we have video games available that use that tech? That would be awesome.

« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2018, 05:16:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The Sixers are reportedly using the technology to help Fultz "visualize the mechanics he'll use in a game, to remember how easy it once was for him to rise up with the ball and shoot from anywhere on the court and to be able to do so without the glare of the cameras or other people around him."
This just sounds awful. The yups are real. Giovanni Carmazzi, anyone?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:23:12 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2018, 05:29:53 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The Sixers are reportedly using the technology to help Fultz "visualize the mechanics he'll use in a game, to remember how easy it once was for him to rise up with the ball and shoot from anywhere on the court and to be able to do so without the glare of the cameras or other people around him."
This just sounds awful. The yups are real. Giovanni Carmazzi, anyone?

yea jeez this sounds insane.

« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2018, 05:34:33 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
Rick Ankiel, Steve Sax, Chuck Knoblauch, and going back further, Steve Blass and Mackey Sasser.

They call it the yips.  Virtual reality is not going to help is my prediction.  It seems like Fultz doesn't want to play.  Really stunning.

I would tell him to shut it down completely until the season is over.  Then for 2 or 3 months, he can only shoot with his left hand. Then try his right hand again.  He needs a total reset.

« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2018, 06:29:50 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Rick Ankiel, Steve Sax, Chuck Knoblauch, and going back further, Steve Blass and Mackey Sasser.

They call it the yips.  Virtual reality is not going to help is my prediction.  It seems like Fultz doesn't want to play. Really stunning.

I would tell him to shut it down completely until the season is over.  Then for 2 or 3 months, he can only shoot with his left hand. Then try his right hand again.  He needs a total reset.

I'm not sure where you are getting "doesn't want" out of all this.      What does his "want" have to do with anything?

He's either physically injured or has a bad case of the yips or whatever.  And he can't play.  I doubt this is what he wants.

Ultimately, this thread is just full of speculations.  None of us know what is going on with the kid.  All we know is that in the few video tidbits his shot looks absolutely nothing like it did a year ago when he was playing for Washington.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2018, 06:50:53 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
may e he d rather be a fireman or work for the post office.   

« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2018, 07:13:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
may e he d rather be a fireman or work for the post office.

I don't think he should work for the post office if he has the yips. The dogs can sense that and they would attack him on his routes. His contract is guaranteed so, unless it is proven he actually got this from an injury that occurred doing a non-basketball activity like BMX (some philly fans believe this), they owe him all the money. He can retire and do anything he wants.

« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2018, 07:29:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Along with seeing Chuck Knoblach basically forget how to throw a ball 60 feet or less to first base and Rick Ankiel forgeting how to pitch, this is one of the strangest things I have ever seen in sports