Poll

Out of these four who has the best/longest career?

Joel Embiid
5 (29.4%)
Kristaps Porziņģis
3 (17.6%)
Michael Porter Jr.
2 (11.8%)
Zion Williamson
7 (41.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: Who has the longest elite career?  (Read 2621 times)

Who has the longest elite career?
« on: February 01, 2020, 12:36:54 AM »

Offline shut_the_gate

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Just curious these four players can be the next generation of superstars but at the same time each are very risky talents who could all be one injury away from being diminished or retired, who do you trust to have the longest elite careers out of this group?

Re: Who has the longest elite career?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 12:48:06 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174
4 injury prone dudes? Hard to say....

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 12:52:09 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Embiid because none of the others have been as good for as long as him. He’s been a top-2 big man in the NBA for a couple of years.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 01:05:59 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Embiid because none of the others have been as good for as long as him. He’s been a top-2 big man in the NBA for a couple of years.
^this, although I think we need to give Zion a season or two before we can make a conclusion.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2020, 01:07:39 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
^this, although I think we need to give Zion a season or two before we can make a conclusion.
Yeah, if he can be a healthier Blake Griffin with better defence then maybe he eclipses him.

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 01:12:02 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Yeah, if he can be a healthier Blake Griffin with better defence then maybe he eclipses him.
I actually don't like the Griffin comparisons, I see his potential as a rich man's Larry Johnson.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2020, 01:17:40 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
I actually don't like the Griffin comparisons, I see his potential as a rich man's Larry Johnson.
I more meant production / accolades, but LJ works for me. Hopefully he doesn’t disappear due to injury like Grandmama did

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 01:32:08 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I more meant production / accolades, but LJ works for me. Hopefully he doesn’t disappear due to injury like Grandmama did
Offensive production kind of works, but Zion's in a different class defensively (even as a rookie) than Griffin imo. But yeah let's hope he doesn't get marred by injuries like Griffin and Johnson.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2020, 01:56:24 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2920
Probably Embiid.

As injury prone as Embiid is, he is in the air and moves around about half as much as Zion. As big as Zion is and as physical and athletic as he plays the game, I think he's a ticking time bomb for a catastrophic knee or ankle injury.

Plus, Embiid is already elite, and has been for a year or two now. None of the other guys are even close to that level yet.

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 02:13:58 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I can’t pick Embiid in any situation that involves longest career.

He’s about to turn 26 and will barely squeak past 200 regular season games in that time.

Porzingis is 1.5 years younger and even with his major injury has already passed 200 games. Zion is playing right now and he’s 19.

Not that I’d bet on the health of any of these guys, but I’d probably bet on career games played to be more like:

Zinger
Zion
Embiid/ Porter

So far Embiid and Zion look like the highest ceiling, with Zinger behind and Porter a bit of a wildcard.

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2020, 02:35:39 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
I kind of thought embiid turned a corner with his conditioning from things I read this offseason but it doesn’t seem like any of it was true. Pretty surprising

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2020, 08:01:23 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Embiid just seems doomed and will be come one of the greatest ...if only he wasn t injuried .

Zinger is an odd odd odd body shape ....not built thick and strong like taco .  He'll age really fast pressing his body

Zions massive frame may cause him to have back issues , if acl s and other knee i juries don't get him first

i would n't bet long term on any of these guys playing at a high level into their 30's

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2020, 08:25:24 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Embiid just seems doomed and will be come one of the greatest ...if only he wasn t injuried .

Zinger is an odd odd odd body shape ....not built thick and strong like taco .  He'll age really fast pressing his body

Zions massive frame may cause him to have back issues , if acl s and other knee i juries don't get him first

i would n't bet long term on any of these guys playing at a high level into their 30's

I agree on Zinger's body shape, but actually think that is to his advantage. As long as he doesn't go nuts flying through the air and diving for loose balls, the lack of weight on his frame should actually benefit him - especially his lower body. He is kind-of like a REALLY tall long-distance runner. Luckily for him, his height and skill-set should help him be very good for a long time.

As for the question, it's a little confusing, but it's a good one. Embiid is the only elite player of the bunch, but isn't likely to have a Kareem-like career. I think Zinger could go for a while and even reach All-Star status, but won't ever reach Embiid-level. Zion is the biggest wildcard so I'll randomly choose him. And Porter seems like a clear 4th right now.

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2020, 09:54:22 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Zion seems like the guy to pick here.  Of course I have no idea how good he will actually be, I just think he will be the healthiest of them.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2020, 10:24:32 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

There is only one comp in NBA history - a young Barkley. Larry Johnson and Blake Griffin were both very strong and explosive, but nowhere near as fast and quick. Zion is insanely quick.

I suppose LeBron could have turned out that way if he hadn't developed so quickly as a primary ball handler. I don't think anyone else has been both this strong and this quick.