Author Topic: If warriors get a top draft pick, who could they trade it for?  (Read 4156 times)

Re: If warriors get a top draft pick, who could they trade it for?
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2020, 04:58:55 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I think they'll stay young with whatever they get from that pick in order to supplement their stars who are aging.

My guess would be they take the BPA, unless that player is somebody who clearly doesn't fit (e.g. if it's an Ayton type prospect).  In that case I think they might try to trade back a few spots and pick up additional assets in the process.

The Warriors should be looking to put together a reasonably young supporting cast to help Curry, Klay, and Dray age gracefully.  The idea shouldn't be to sell off whatever young assets they have so as to add more aging stars to an already top heavy team.

We've seen that Curry, Klay, Dray when healthy are a championship caliber trio.  They still can be next year, especially having gotten plenty of rest. 

The question is whether they will have an adequate supporting cast to allow them space.  We've also seen that when Curry, Klay, and Dray are surrounded by a bunch of non-shooters that don't really scare the opponent, the margin of error basically vanishes.
I don't think there is any way that Curry, Klay, Dray are enough going forward. They were enough when they were young and their collective salaries allowed for a stronger supporting cast. That's over. Curry and Thompson's salaries went from a huge strategic advantage to major impediment. They need to make this pick pay off and can't afford to wait 3 years for a young star to evolve.
I get the aging component, but that title team pre-Durant wasn't exactly loaded.  I mean Barnes started all 6 games and he was ok.  Iggy and Bogut each started 3 (and Bogut only played in 4 games).  They had Barbosa and Livingston as the only other players that played in all 6 games (Barbosa only played in 64 minutes total) while Ezeli played in 5 (50 minutes total) and Lee played in 4 (and just 39 minutes total).  No one else he had 20 minutes in that series.

I just don't think you remember the talent surrounding those 3 on that team.  D-Lo is better than Iggy or Barnes.  Looney and WCS are both better with the old washed up Bogut and Lee from that series.  They have a bunch of solid bench vets and young players (Burks, Robinson, Paschall, Spellman, Chriss, Evans, Lee).  That doesn't even account for the lottery pick.  The supporting cast this year and potentially next year is just better than the Warriors title team supporting cast.  The real question is are Curry, Klay, and Dray going to be equivalent, and that is unlikely, though if Russell plays well and they get a big time rookie, it might not matter that the big 3 are a bit worse.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip