Author Topic: If warriors get a top draft pick, who could they trade it for?  (Read 4157 times)

Re: If warriors get a top draft pick, who could they trade it for?
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2020, 09:11:36 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
They want to go after Towns with D-Russell and the pick but that pick would have to be top 2 to have any chance. And Towns will have to push the issue to get it done.

I am not sure who else they can after. Markkanen would be awesome in GSW's offense.
Not sure if they want a relatively slow centre in Towns as one of their core pieces (I think the Warriors really buy into having a centre out there who can run about and move well), but that would make their offence incredibly nasty.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2020, 09:13:42 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
All I know is they won't trade it to us.

We have nothing they would want in a trade...Tatum and Brown are not what they would want anyways.

Heck if I were them and they get Wiseman who is a big...Id just stay put...him surrounded by shooters  Splash brothers is a better recipe than whatever they would get in the trade market anyway.

I don't know about that. I understand the allure of a top draft pick, but Brown and especially Tatum are pretty hot commodities these days. I don't want the Cs to make such a trade, just pointing out that GSW should be interested if we were offering one up.

As for them getting a top pick - I sure hope they don't. It's not really fair to have absolutely dominated the past half-decade, get a top pick, and then use that pick or trade it for a star player and continue to dominate. I mean, if it stops Lebron/AD from winning titles, then of course, but GSW has already had incredibly good fortune.
I'd love GSW to get some extra fortune tbh, Curry can use a few more MVP-esque seasons to surpass Magic as the GOAT point guard (he's starting to get close after his 2019 season).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2020, 11:15:56 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Once again with the foolish “timeline” notion. Every team isn’t that myopic.

They’ll likely keep the pick and let him grow up amid their stars so they have something to build on 4 or 5 years from now.
thats how you get stuck with kwame brown and Markelle fultz

Or get stuck with Jayson Tatum
so it’s a gamble? Why would a team with curry Thompson and green be gambling at this point ? Kevin love in his current state is better than Whatever rookie will give them

They are one piece away from competing for a chip

I doubt they could get Love, because Cleveland would have to give up a lot more than Love if they want one of the top three picks, and would then probably balk.  Cleveland will let Love and his contract go at some point...for much less than a top three pick.  And the Warriors should target a younger but established guy.  They'd love to get their hands on either of Brown or Tatum, but Danny wouldn't give up either for a top three pick unless the Warriors sweetened it. 

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2020, 11:43:17 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think they'll stay young with whatever they get from that pick in order to supplement their stars who are aging.

My guess would be they take the BPA, unless that player is somebody who clearly doesn't fit (e.g. if it's an Ayton type prospect).  In that case I think they might try to trade back a few spots and pick up additional assets in the process.

The Warriors should be looking to put together a reasonably young supporting cast to help Curry, Klay, and Dray age gracefully.  The idea shouldn't be to sell off whatever young assets they have so as to add more aging stars to an already top heavy team.

We've seen that Curry, Klay, Dray when healthy are a championship caliber trio.  They still can be next year, especially having gotten plenty of rest. 

The question is whether they will have an adequate supporting cast to allow them space.  We've also seen that when Curry, Klay, and Dray are surrounded by a bunch of non-shooters that don't really scare the opponent, the margin of error basically vanishes.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2020, 12:12:23 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

They’ll likely keep the pick and let him grow up amid their stars so they have something to build on 4 or 5 years from now.

so it’s a gamble? Why would a team with curry Thompson and green be gambling at this point ? Kevin love in his current state is better than Whatever rookie will give them

If they are that into Love, they can just trade Russell for him; no need to include the pick. Since CLE already has two young guards, a third team may have to get involved, but I think most people would agree that Russell is worth at least as much as Love.

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2020, 12:55:26 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I'd like to see GSW bring in a SF who can defend to help matchup against the Lakers forwards of LeBron & A.Davis and the Clippers forward duo of Kawhi Leonard and Paul George.

I was thinking of Orlando as a good trade companion. Either D-Russell for A.Gordon or the draft pick (if high enough) for J.Isaac. Either guy could add a lot to rebuilding the Warriors defensive capabilities & D-Russell would be perfect for Orlando who are desperate for a creator offensively (both scoring and/or passing) on the perimeter.

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2020, 12:59:02 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Have you been following the draft class this year by any chance? They look like they definitely ooze a lot more potential than a disgruntled Love who's best attribute at this point other than spacing is rebounding and outlet passes.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2020, 01:06:38 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I'd like to see GSW bring in a SF who can defend to help matchup against the Lakers forwards of LeBron & A.Davis and the Clippers forward duo of Kawhi Leonard and Paul George.

I was thinking of Orlando as a good trade companion. Either D-Russell for A.Gordon or the draft pick (if high enough) for J.Isaac. Either guy could add a lot to rebuilding the Warriors defensive capabilities & D-Russell would be perfect for Orlando who are desperate for a creator offensively (both scoring and/or passing) on the perimeter.
Gordon is a good defensive SF?! I haven't been watching them much, but I have always thought that he was somewhat of a tweener PF, not some defensive maestro at the wing who can defend the likes of LeBron, Kawhi and Paul George. I could be wrong, but that would be some crazy reinvention from Gordon over the past few years.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2020, 01:19:42 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

They're not really any "pieces" away.

The only "piece" that they're away from competing with is health. If they're healthy they're a serious contender. The only way it makes sense to trade that pick is if they really don't like the players available.

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2020, 01:21:25 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Gordon is a good defensive SF?! I haven't been watching them much, but I have always thought that he was somewhat of a tweener PF, not some defensive maestro at the wing who can defend the likes of LeBron, Kawhi and Paul George. I could be wrong, but that would be some crazy reinvention from Gordon over the past few years.

Aaron Gordon has quite literally been a black hole on defense. So no, you're correct, a lot of my Orlando friends tell me they wish they would just trade him already so they can finally let Isaac take the 4 spot, which he's been transitioning over extremely well.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2020, 01:32:40 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I'm pretty sure Wiseman will be the top pick for whoever wins the lottery. Not sure what GSW would do if they don't get the 1st pick. There are folks who really like Edwards and Ball (who is out for the year) but after them it's not really looking great. So if GSW's pick falls out of the top 3 they will not get much in a trade.

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2020, 01:39:19 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I don't think they trade the pick, but I could totally see something like Russell and 1 for Towns. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2020, 01:46:48 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

I consider A.Gordon a tweener PF too. Not because of his defense but because of his offense. Defensively, it's his best position. Certainly in terms of one-on-one D. His defensive abilities are underrated because he is not as consistent as he should be on D but the talent is there. He could be All-League defender or close to it if he committed to it.

Put him on a team where his role is better defined - where they have legitimate guys to run their offense through and allow Gordon to concentrate & understand that his role is more defend, rebound, pass with opportunistic scoring and he would blossom into a wonderful player.

I'd love to see A.Gordon leave Orlando and get a chance at a role like that on a good team that is well coached.

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2020, 02:22:42 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
They want to go after Towns with D-Russell and the pick but that pick would have to be top 2 to have any chance. And Towns will have to push the issue to get it done.

I am not sure who else they can after. Markkanen would be awesome in GSW's offense.

Since I believe they will need to match salaries in any trade I think they will have to package Russell and the pick to get anything significant.  My guess too is they will start with Towns then if that doesn’t work look at other potential stars. Love and maybe swapping picks could be interesting too.

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2020, 03:57:58 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
I think they'll stay young with whatever they get from that pick in order to supplement their stars who are aging.

My guess would be they take the BPA, unless that player is somebody who clearly doesn't fit (e.g. if it's an Ayton type prospect).  In that case I think they might try to trade back a few spots and pick up additional assets in the process.

The Warriors should be looking to put together a reasonably young supporting cast to help Curry, Klay, and Dray age gracefully.  The idea shouldn't be to sell off whatever young assets they have so as to add more aging stars to an already top heavy team.

We've seen that Curry, Klay, Dray when healthy are a championship caliber trio.  They still can be next year, especially having gotten plenty of rest. 

The question is whether they will have an adequate supporting cast to allow them space.  We've also seen that when Curry, Klay, and Dray are surrounded by a bunch of non-shooters that don't really scare the opponent, the margin of error basically vanishes.
I don't think there is any way that Curry, Klay, Dray are enough going forward. They were enough when they were young and their collective salaries allowed for a stronger supporting cast. That's over. Curry and Thompson's salaries went from a huge strategic advantage to major impediment. They need to make this pick pay off and can't afford to wait 3 years for a young star to evolve.