Author Topic: I dislike Kyrie(merged threads)  (Read 60644 times)

Re: Did Kyrie quit on the celtics in the playoffs last year?
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2019, 05:26:20 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
I'm sure I will be reprimanded for saying this, but after reading some of the comments on this thread, I am just amazed at either the ignorance or level of denial that some members here maintain. Equating Kemba's shooting struggles in his first two games as a Celtic to Irving's performance during the Milwaukee series might be the most ridiculous comparison I've ever read on these boards.

Kemba struggled with his shooting his first 6 quarters of the regular season because he cared so much about helping his team win games. He was nervous and he was pressing. In other words, he was trying too hard.

Kyrie could not have possibly cared any less in those last two games and in case anyone wasn't sure, he doubled down during the post game pressers by displaying his complete disdain for his teammates and coaches and the Celtic organization - "I should have taken 30 shots".
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2019, 05:56:20 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
He's obviously motivated to impress his new team right now. If I cared enough I would gauge his effort towards the end of the year and compare that with what we got. But I probably don't care enough  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2019, 07:39:24 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
I CANNOT believe I'm defending this dude, but the checkout really only happened after game 3, when he probably recognised that we were getting slaughtered no matter what. I think he thought "imma throw up a TON of tough shots, and if they go in I become immortalized".
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2019, 07:54:04 AM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
So I guess it’s just coincidence he had his 4 worst shooting games of his career in a row on the final 4 games? Dude was checked out there is no question he quit. Plus the comment after the game of him looking forward to watching Toronto and Milwaukee play? I don’t understand the Kyrie apologists.

« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2019, 08:09:25 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
IMO he was long gone by game two. His mind was already in Brooklyn. You could tell by his body language on the court, not just the poor shooting.

« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2019, 08:34:21 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
So I guess it’s just coincidence he had his 4 worst shooting games of his career in a row on the final 4 games? Dude was checked out there is no question he quit. Plus the comment after the game of him looking forward to watching Toronto and Milwaukee play? I don’t understand the Kyrie apologists.
of course it isn't a coincidence it is called a great defensive team focusing on one player in a series when no one else was shooting way so they could really key on Kyrie.  Tatum shot 36.4% for the series.  Did he give up?  Rozier was 28.6%, did he give up?  Smart shot a team low 9.1%, did he give up?  Morris shot very well, Horford and Brown were pretty solid, but everyone else was hot garbage.  That sometimes happens when you play the best team in the conference.

And here's the thing, Irving has always been prone to terrible shooting nights.  He has had plenty of games where he has been awful and followed them up with awful games.  He has had strings of 3 in 4 or 4 in 5 where he shot worse than the Bucks series.  His inconsistency shooting shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone.  That is who he has always been.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2019, 08:48:57 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
Anyone who has played competitive anything knows that some very talented people give up and pout when they are losing. I've played with a few people who will give up on you mid game on simple momentum changes.

One thing I've learned is some talented people are always finding ways to overcome and other talented people find ways not to look bad by blaming teammates.

When I play with a Kyrie type I'm more focused on not screwing up instead of playing with in the flow of the game. When you don't connect with a teammate it's very difficult to be a good teammate yourself. Instead of moving the ball forcing the defense to move around hoping you catch someone out of position you look for your own shot.

The most fustrating thing about the Kyrie type is they are almost always lazy defenders. They always forcing you to play out of position and this leads to errors.

The Kyrie type doesn't win as often as they should because they do not make teammates better.

ok fine

« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2019, 10:02:34 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
of course it isn't a coincidence it is called a great defensive team focusing on one player in a series when no one else was shooting way so they could really key on Kyrie.  Tatum shot 36.4% for the series.  Did he give up?  Rozier was 28.6%, did he give up?  Smart shot a team low 9.1%, did he give up?  Morris shot very well, Horford and Brown were pretty solid, but everyone else was hot garbage.  That sometimes happens when you play the best team in the conference.

And here's the thing, Irving has always been prone to terrible shooting nights.  He has had plenty of games where he has been awful and followed them up with awful games.  He has had strings of 3 in 4 or 4 in 5 where he shot worse than the Bucks series.  His inconsistency shooting shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone.  That is who he has always been.

TP Judging from some of these posts I  believe you and I are one of the few who really understood how overmatched we were in this series.

Milwaukee totally overwhelmed the Celtics after game one. They were smothering us with their defence. All their shooters were hot. Giannis was unstoppable. Kyrie was virtually immobilized.

Kyrie also suffered through injuries in April. They likely carried over into May.

Might he have let down against the Bucks? Yes, but he wasn't alone.

Was he the sole reason they lost? No.

The Bucks had the length and speed to stop the whole team.

Look at what happened in the recent 76ers game. Their height and quickness proved how hard it was for the team to get off a decent shot. Same thing happened in Milwaukee.

« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2019, 11:11:04 AM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

I disagree. I judge his performance and body language and they both sucked. He looked like he was already looking forward and certainly judging by his character with all these stories coming out it just backs it up even more. He didn’t want to play for the Celtics, his teammates or Brad Stevens.

« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2019, 11:21:02 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I disagree. I judge his performance and body language and they both sucked. He looked like he was already looking forward and certainly judging by his character with all these stories coming out it just backs it up even more. He didn’t want to play for the Celtics, his teammates or Brad Stevens.
Irving's body language always sucks.  Whether is playing well or playing poorly.  He carries himself the same way.  He is a bad leader, always has been, but you guys are reading far too much into a series when the better team won.  Boston wasn't that good last year.  I said it all year long.  Boston was a team with flaws and they started with its best player, but he was far from the only flaw on that roster last year.  That team lacked top end talent, had significantly personality issues, and was poorly constructed to begin with.  They quite simply got manhandled by a better team. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2019, 11:22:05 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

So let me get this straight. The "superstar" guy has not 1, not 2, but 3 straight bad shooting nights. He CHOOSES to foolishly try and defend Giannis while going away from the overall defensive gameplan, and he also took some really, really dumb shots during the game, some of which were airballs. Like not just iso-shots, but fadeaway 3-point attempts with 16 seconds left on the shotclock. That doesn't entirely have to do with the Bucks' defensive gameplan.

And we're supposed to believe he didn't quit on the team??

Please. I know others in the series underperformed. But there were moments when I saw guys like Smart and Morris hustle and make plays even when struggling to try and fight back. Never saw that from Kyrie. His body language showed it, and once the series ended, his interviews clearly screamed, "thanks for everything Boston, but I'm out". Hell, a week ago he basically admitted, "it was always going to be Brooklyn", and Ainge himself said he had the feeling back in March last season that Kyrie was leaving for sure.

It's one thing to lose the series, but to basically get swept after Game 1 in that kind of fashion? Kyrie got exposed big time too
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2019, 08:48:06 PM »

Offline Valid

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

Irving's body language always sucks.  Whether is playing well or playing poorly.  He carries himself the same way.  He is a bad leader, always has been, but you guys are reading far too much into a series when the better team won.  Boston wasn't that good last year.  I said it all year long.  Boston was a team with flaws and they started with its best player, but he was far from the only flaw on that roster last year.  That team lacked top end talent, had significantly personality issues, and was poorly constructed to begin with.  They quite simply got manhandled by a better team.
Sorry, but this is ridiculous.

They didn't seem to lack top-end talent nor did they seem "poorly constructed" when they won 55 games (without Hayward) and made it all the way to Game 7 of the ECF (without Hayward AND Kyrie) in 2018. Let's also not forget that those 2018 Celtics beat the Bucks (who were understandably not as good that year but still largely had the same roster) in the playoffs that season.

The Celtics had more individual talent than the Bucks last year and it was not even remotely close. They were probably the second-most talented team in the NBA.

Talent was not the issue. Neither was roster construction.

The problem was egos up and down the roster (not just Kyrie) that prevented the Celtics from achieving what they should have. If Kyrie weren't injured at the end of 2018 (not even Hayward; JUST Kyrie), that team goes to the finals, and I am 95 percent positive they go to the finals again last year (and probably win with all of Golden State's issues).

What happened last season was that Tatum, Brown and Rozier were feeling themselves after the ECF and run weren't that willing to lose shots (and playing time) to Irving and Hayward. Irving then compounded the problem by being a horrendous leader and disconnecting himself from his teammates.

A disastrous injury to Hayward and Kyrie having to get knee surgery at the end of 2018 is what ruined what should have been a long run of success. It wasn't a "lack of top-end talent," nor was it "poor roster construction."

I personally have zero ill will toward Irving. I don't particularly care about him. But it's pretty out there to deny that he mentally checked out in the Bucks series. I'm not saying he outright quit, but it was blatantly obvious that his focus was not there after Game 2.

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2019, 09:28:10 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996

Sorry, but this is ridiculous.

They didn't seem to lack top-end talent nor did they seem "poorly constructed" when they won 55 games (without Hayward) and made it all the way to Game 7 of the ECF (without Hayward AND Kyrie) in 2018. Let's also not forget that those 2018 Celtics beat the Bucks (who were understandably not as good that year but still largely had the same roster) in the playoffs that season.

The Celtics had more individual talent than the Bucks last year and it was not even remotely close. They were probably the second-most talented team in the NBA.

Talent was not the issue. Neither was roster construction.

The problem was egos up and down the roster (not just Kyrie) that prevented the Celtics from achieving what they should have. If Kyrie weren't injured at the end of 2018 (not even Hayward; JUST Kyrie), that team goes to the finals, and I am 95 percent positive they go to the finals again last year (and probably win with all of Golden State's issues).

What happened last season was that Tatum, Brown and Rozier were feeling themselves after the ECF and run weren't that willing to lose shots (and playing time) to Irving and Hayward. Irving then compounded the problem by being a horrendous leader and disconnecting himself from his teammates.

A disastrous injury to Hayward and Kyrie having to get knee surgery at the end of 2018 is what ruined what should have been a long run of success. It wasn't a "lack of top-end talent," nor was it "poor roster construction."

I personally have zero ill will toward Irving. I don't particularly care about him. But it's pretty out there to deny that he mentally checked out in the Bucks series. I'm not saying he outright quit, but it was blatantly obvious that his focus was not there after Game 2.

I always thought the East was weak that year and the C's rolled their way through. Even LeBron's Cavs were the 4th seed and managed to beat Boston in the Garden in Game 7. Then come 2018-2019 season teams started making big moves and Giannis with a big leap and Embiid with a big leap and Kawhi with that killer-instinct.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2019, 09:47:08 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214
I don't think he quit, I just think he didn't care and didn't look to modify his game in the playoffs when plan A wasn't working.

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2019, 09:51:17 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I don't think he quit, I just think he didn't care and didn't look to modify his game in the playoffs when plan A wasn't working.

and your definition of quit??