Author Topic: I dislike Kyrie(merged threads)  (Read 60837 times)

Re: I dislike Kyrie(merged threads)
« Reply #375 on: November 30, 2019, 09:32:25 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
There's a few reasons why Kyrie is taking a lot of stick from Boston fans, but the main one I think is that he basically ghosted us after promising us he was all in on being a Celtic. First his promise to season ticket holders "if you're willing to have me back, I plan on re-signing here" at the start of 2018, then his commercial saying he wanted his number retired. Add to that the fact that we as fans were a very optimistic bunch with high expectations at that time, we thought we would plug Kyrie and Gordon back into our ECF reaching team and would challenge the Dubs in the finals, with Kyrie leading the way.

We all know what happened. Kyrie starting throwing his younger teammates under the bus, he became the face of the frustrations within the team because he was the highest profile player and because he was willing to talk about it. Then the rumors about him wanting to pair up with Durant wouldn't go away and the media kept bringing up his free agency and he handled it badly. Then he promised us we would do well in the playoffs "because I'm here". Then when we got to the playoffs, he just couldn't (or wouldn't) deliver when it mattered.

So all that was bad enough for fans...then he basically just ghosted us and signed with Brooklyn, didn't say anything to Boston or about Boston. Jaylen Brown and Al apologized to fans, we didn't hear anything from Kyrie. Aron Baynes took out a full page ad thanking Boston for his time here. (Even Kelly Olynyk did so when he was traded to Miami.) Our last Boston-related comments from him was more about him, saying he hadn't been in a situation where "he" got hammered 4-1 in the playoffs and that "he" would learn from it. Nothing about the team. Then he just...disappeared. First we hear about him signing elsewhere is with his slickly produced "I'm Coming Home" video, where there wasn't any word about Boston at all.

So it felt not only like he ghosted us after being engaged without explaining anything, but also that he dissed us, dissed what it means to be a Celtic, all the history, respect for the jersey, all that stuff. And not only that, he just so happens to be injured when he's supposed to play in Boston for the first time after leaving (things that make you go hmmmm???) then he doesn't even show up on the bench! Obviously there's no rule that he has to be here when he's injured, but that just so looks like a chicken act. No wonder people booed the hell out of him.

I don't think Kyrie is a bad person. I think he's a wondrously talented basketball player. I don't think he means to be a bad teammate, and I don't think the Celtics think he is. I do think he struggles with manning up to things that are difficult (like having to explain why he broke his word). God knows a lot of people do. It's why he tries to avoid playing in Cleveland, or Boston. I'd be surprised if he played here in the next 3 years.

Of course he doesn't owe us any explanation (not even his long rambling defensive Instagram missive). Personally I moved on from him long ago and don't need any explanation (even though I seem to be the starter of this thread, in my defense it wasn't titled this when I posted it  :angel:). But think of how much better it would have gone for him if he had a) been much more thoughtful and introspective about the Milwaukee series loss, and to do what Al or Aron did, make some kind of statement thanking Boston fans for supporting him during his time here, saying it was a hard decision but he wanted to go home. People would be disappointed but nobody would begrudge someone wanting to go home. Or if he had showed up to take the boos and turned it into a laugh, I think people would have respected that. They probably would have still booed him, but not as much  :P

No more will be said about Kyrie from me as this sums it up perfectly.

Thank you sir catch this TP
ok fine

« Reply #376 on: November 30, 2019, 01:45:08 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
There's a few reasons why Kyrie is taking a lot of stick from Boston fans, but the main one I think is that he basically ghosted us after promising us he was all in on being a Celtic. First his promise to season ticket holders "if you're willing to have me back, I plan on re-signing here" at the start of 2018, then his commercial saying he wanted his number retired. Add to that the fact that we as fans were a very optimistic bunch with high expectations at that time, we thought we would plug Kyrie and Gordon back into our ECF reaching team and would challenge the Dubs in the finals, with Kyrie leading the way.

We all know what happened. Kyrie starting throwing his younger teammates under the bus, he became the face of the frustrations within the team because he was the highest profile player and because he was willing to talk about it. Then the rumors about him wanting to pair up with Durant wouldn't go away and the media kept bringing up his free agency and he handled it badly. Then he promised us we would do well in the playoffs "because I'm here". Then when we got to the playoffs, he just couldn't (or wouldn't) deliver when it mattered.

So all that was bad enough for fans...then he basically just ghosted us and signed with Brooklyn, didn't say anything to Boston or about Boston. Jaylen Brown and Al apologized to fans, we didn't hear anything from Kyrie. Aron Baynes took out a full page ad thanking Boston for his time here. (Even Kelly Olynyk did so when he was traded to Miami.) Our last Boston-related comments from him was more about him, saying he hadn't been in a situation where "he" got hammered 4-1 in the playoffs and that "he" would learn from it. Nothing about the team. Then he just...disappeared. First we hear about him signing elsewhere is with his slickly produced "I'm Coming Home" video, where there wasn't any word about Boston at all.

So it felt not only like he ghosted us after being engaged without explaining anything, but also that he dissed us, dissed what it means to be a Celtic, all the history, respect for the jersey, all that stuff. And not only that, he just so happens to be injured when he's supposed to play in Boston for the first time after leaving (things that make you go hmmmm???) then he doesn't even show up on the bench! Obviously there's no rule that he has to be here when he's injured, but that just so looks like a chicken act. No wonder people booed the hell out of him.

I don't think Kyrie is a bad person. I think he's a wondrously talented basketball player. I don't think he means to be a bad teammate, and I don't think the Celtics think he is. I do think he struggles with manning up to things that are difficult (like having to explain why he broke his word). God knows a lot of people do. It's why he tries to avoid playing in Cleveland, or Boston. I'd be surprised if he played here in the next 3 years.

Of course he doesn't owe us any explanation (not even his long rambling defensive Instagram missive). Personally I moved on from him long ago and don't need any explanation (even though I seem to be the starter of this thread, in my defense it wasn't titled this when I posted it  :angel:). But think of how much better it would have gone for him if he had a) been much more thoughtful and introspective about the Milwaukee series loss, and to do what Al or Aron did, make some kind of statement thanking Boston fans for supporting him during his time here, saying it was a hard decision but he wanted to go home. People would be disappointed but nobody would begrudge someone wanting to go home. Or if he had showed up to take the boos and turned it into a laugh, I think people would have respected that. They probably would have still booed him, but not as much  :P
Well stated.  TP

« Reply #377 on: November 30, 2019, 05:06:52 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

QED

That is the one thing left out of your post. TP to you.

« Reply #378 on: December 04, 2019, 03:58:06 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Preach.

Kevin Garnett was quick to answer whether he was surprised Kyrie Irving left Boston.

“No,” he said flatly, before implying that Irving, the Nets point guard, didn’t have the mental makeup for Beantown.

“Boston’s a tough town, dawg. You have to have some major cojones to be there,” Garnett said. “You got to want that. The people want it for you. That’s why Paul (Pierce) is perfect for it. Paul wants the shot every time. Like, ‘You’re 0-for-14.’ And he’s like, ‘I know, but they WANT it.’”

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #379 on: December 04, 2019, 04:06:47 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Preach.

Kevin Garnett was quick to answer whether he was surprised Kyrie Irving left Boston.

“No,” he said flatly, before implying that Irving, the Nets point guard, didn’t have the mental makeup for Beantown.

“Boston’s a tough town, dawg. You have to have some major cojones to be there,” Garnett said. “You got to want that. The people want it for you. That’s why Paul (Pierce) is perfect for it. Paul wants the shot every time. Like, ‘You’re 0-for-14.’ And he’s like, ‘I know, but they WANT it.’”

So I guess KG won't be getting an Xmas card from Kyrie this year?  ;)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #380 on: December 04, 2019, 05:54:48 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Preach.

Says the man that helped to steer AD away from BOS.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/12/23/kevin-garnett-believes-anthony-davis-lakers-happen/2403946002/

As I watch sports and grow older, I realize that there are less good guys AND bad guys....

They ALL - seemingly - blend in over time.

« Reply #381 on: December 04, 2019, 10:53:48 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Preach.

Says the man that helped to steer AD away from BOS.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/12/23/kevin-garnett-believes-anthony-davis-lakers-happen/2403946002/

As I watch sports and grow older, I realize that there are less good guys AND bad guys....

They ALL - seemingly - blend in over time.
Everyone seems to whinge about KG steering AD to Boston, but maybe that's because KG doesn't think AD would stay here / fit into the culture?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Not to Bash Kyrie but ...
« Reply #382 on: December 21, 2019, 07:30:49 PM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Is this guy done for good?  Are we about to see the broken down Derick Rose train pull up and take him for a ride down the bench?   Sure he looked great putting up 50 in a bunch of losses but then during his prolonged bizarro injury time the nets have been playing better and Spencer Dinwiddie has been killing it.   I do have ill feelings towards Kyrie because I do believe that while everyone had a part to play the buck stopped at Kyrie and that's how he wanted it, but he couldn't handle it.  I am glad the Nets are playing better without him and I sort of want his career to crash and burn much like Derick Rose.  He wanted to take on the Lebron role.  He wanted to be like Kobe and make his own name.  He wasn't a leader he was a moody little B and he had the three worst games of his career probably as far back as middle school, all in a row to loose us a series we began with a but whipping.  I am really glad things aren't going well for him right now.  So bashing aside do you think his injuries are about to ruin the rest of his career? 

Re: Not to Bash Kyrie but ...
« Reply #383 on: December 21, 2019, 07:36:36 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
No, but he's always been injury prone.

Re: Not to Bash Kyrie but ...
« Reply #384 on: December 21, 2019, 07:46:59 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
Is this guy done for good?  Are we about to see the broken down Derick Rose train pull up and take him for a ride down the bench?   Sure he looked great putting up 50 in a bunch of losses but then during his prolonged bizarro injury time the nets have been playing better and Spencer Dinwiddie has been killing it.   I do have ill feelings towards Kyrie because I do believe that while everyone had a part to play the buck stopped at Kyrie and that's how he wanted it, but he couldn't handle it.  I am glad the Nets are playing better without him and I sort of want his career to crash and burn much like Derick Rose.  He wanted to take on the Lebron role.  He wanted to be like Kobe and make his own name.  He wasn't a leader he was a moody little B and he had the three worst games of his career probably as far back as middle school, all in a row to loose us a series we began with a but whipping.  I am really glad things aren't going well for him right now.  So bashing aside do you think his injuries are about to ruin the rest of his career?

I doubt he's anywhere near done, but who knows?  I'm really glad KI is gone, but I am more indifferent than anything else re: his future.  As long as he doesn't play well against the C's I'll be fine with whatever else he does.   Though unintended, Kyrie did the C's a huge favor by leaving.

« Reply #385 on: December 21, 2019, 09:03:53 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Even sweet Abi Chen threw some shade at him during the Piston broadcast. That was funny. She was doing a piece on the Cs highest scorer on Christmas day games. She skipped his name intentionally. I thought it was funny.

« Reply #386 on: December 22, 2019, 08:08:34 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Preach.

and Irving doesn't want to take every shot?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #387 on: December 22, 2019, 11:33:12 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Preach.

and Irving doesn't want to take every shot?

I think you are missing his point.  He was saying that the great thing about Boston is that they embrace their stars.  The Captain can be having a terrible night, but the fans want him to be taking that shot, because he’s the fans’ guy.  But, to become the guy, you need to prove yourself and humble yourself.

Kyrie wasn’t this city’s guy.  He didn’t embrace the city or what it meant to be a Celtic.  Then, he pulled a Lebron and quit against Milwaukee. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #388 on: December 23, 2019, 05:13:53 AM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
LoL

I read this thread....I really read all 26 pages..

*sippin* of course

Dino Radja

Walker

Scalabrine

Paul Pierce

Never was afraid of being the one with seconds left to shoot the game winning shot...hit or miss

Kyrie could not carry the reason why we lose a game...

He was not a leader..not his fault

*sippin*

« Reply #389 on: December 23, 2019, 05:24:09 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
To for mentioning Dino Radja