Author Topic: I dislike Kyrie(merged threads)  (Read 60825 times)

Re: I dislike Kyrie(merged threads)
« Reply #360 on: November 29, 2019, 11:20:34 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My thing is THIS, though:

If Kyrie Irving IS suffering from some demons - why the HATE on here?

Most of this blog has ALREADY alluded to this....

So why the continued hate?

Why can't we look at Kyrie in a prism and simply wish him well?

My GOD this team is being looked at as a CONTENDER - even by the media......but yet - even with the POTENTIAL that Kyrie Irving IS suffering from something we continuously deride him.

It just isn't right.

It comes off to ME as a spoiled and petulant fan base without much ability to EMPATHIZE with someone going through something.

All we care about is our 16 Banners....Brady's Championships.....Red Sox....Bruins.

Your area is perhaps one of the most successful in Sports.

So all we care about is winning? And Kyrie Irving interfered with that, huh?
GF, it's really easy to see why people hate on Kyrie. We traded for him. He made commitments to this fanbase, then seemingly deserted the team and actual Celtic culture with his late season play, drama and exit.

This fan base is angry over last season and they are angry at Kyrie. It's easily understandable.

And human nature is such that most are not people who are easy to forgive and forget. Anyone who has been in a long term relationship can probably tell you stories about their significant other that just won't let a certain incident go and still remind you of it and are still hurting or angry over it even years later. This is common behavior.

Maybe it's best to just let people vent than trying to defend a guy that probably deserved some backlash for what he did to the team and the fanbase.

« Reply #361 on: November 29, 2019, 11:29:30 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

My GOD this team is being looked at as a CONTENDER - even by the media......but yet - even with the POTENTIAL that Kyrie Irving IS suffering from something we continuously deride him.

It just isn't right.

It comes off to ME as a spoiled and petulant fan base without much ability to EMPATHIZE with someone going through something.

All we care about is our 16 Banners....Brady's Championships.....Red Sox....Bruins.

GF, it's really easy to see why people hate on Kyrie. We traded for him. He made commitments to this fanbase, then seemingly deserted the team and actual Celtic culture with his late season play, drama and exit.

This fan base is angry over last season and they are angry at Kyrie. It's easily understandable.

And human nature is such that most are not people who are easy to forgive and forget. Anyone who has been in a long term relationship can probably tell you stories about their significant other that just won't let a certain incident go and still remind you of it and are still hurting or angry over it even years later. This is common behavior.

Maybe it's best to just let people vent than trying to defend a guy that probably deserved some backlash for what he did to the team and the fanbase.

Nick - I get all that.

But in the event that Kyrie is - and has - made his decisions under the prism of Mental Illness I simply cannot get some of the hate on here.

Folks can vent but I simply believe some of it is misplaced.

"IF" we were 4-13 and truly struggling I'd understand it better. We could directly attribute our failures THEN to Kyrie.

But this team is playing like a contender - and is even being mentioned as such in the media.

It would seem easier to me to just let it go but I understand that some handle things differently.

« Reply #362 on: November 29, 2019, 11:49:02 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

It just isn't right.

Nick - I get all that.

But in the event that Kyrie is - and has - made his decisions under the prism of Mental Illness I simply cannot get some of the hate on here.

"IF" we were 4-13 and truly struggling I'd understand it better. We could directly attribute our failures THEN to Kyrie.

But this team is playing like a contender - and is even being mentioned as such in the media.

It would seem easier to me to just let it go but I understand that some handle things differently.

Kyrie is a spoiled, arrogant, narcissist.

He plays people over and over again. He's playing you green faith.

There is no defense from this little punk's actions. Bostonians are very loyal but mean people that don't forgive well.

He deserves everything he's getting. You reap what you sow.

« Reply #363 on: November 29, 2019, 11:55:26 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

It just isn't right.

Nick - I get all that.

Some people take longer to let it go, GF. Some never will. So this thread is here to let them vent so that eventually, hopefully, they do let it go. But they sure aren't going to let it go quickly if someone is constantly defending Kyrie and telling them to let it go. That only exasperates the situation.

The more you defend Kyrie and tell people to let it go, the longer they will hold onto that anger and not let it go.

I too, think fans need to move on, but if people want to vent, I just let them. Let them get it out. All wounds heal over time. Just give people their time to be angry.

« Reply #364 on: November 29, 2019, 12:09:08 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
"Celtic Culture"......

To even SOME of our own Fan Base THEY don't even know what Celtic Mystique is...you even GOOGLE Celtic Mystique and stuff comes up not even related to The Boston Celtics. That should tell you something right there.

I heard this term vividly from the announcers for the Celtics Games back in the 80s...they attributed it to strange things...even a Leprechaun - affecting things for Boston's favor......don't even hear that anymore.

Boston Celtics tradition stretches back EVEN FURTHER than MY OWN time as a Celtics Fan, in 1981.

Before Bird, there was Cowens and Hondo.

Before Cowens and Hondo there was Cousy and Russell.

It doesn't help that from late 80s to 2007-08 this team had a couple of tragedies that set us back....taking our traditions ever further off the Media's radar.

To MOST NBA players never affiliated with BOS they don't even care about traditions...those 16 banners mean little.

I believe Kyrie tried to fit in, for a spell. Then God knows what happened to him....he stated that his Grandfather passed last season...even through all of this Marcus Smart reportedly stated that Kyrie was the ONLY player that reached out to him in HIS time of mourning with his mother passing....couple this with his Alpha still recovering, Gordon Hayward....Rozier pushing perhaps too hard....other issues going on...

LOOK - some people handle things differently...IT4 played through heroically when his sister passed....maybe to Kyrie he handled it differently - especially since he already had lost his mother.

He made a promise to us, then - through the course of the season...different stuff going on...he changed his mind...just wanted a fresh start at home.

I can't hate him or dismiss him for that - especially since things are turning out well for us now.

« Reply #365 on: November 29, 2019, 03:04:13 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He made a promise to us, then - through the course of the season...different stuff going on...he changed his mind...just wanted a fresh start at home.

I can't hate him or dismiss him for that - especially since things are turning out well for us now.

Do you think he should have told Danny when he changed his mind?  Kyrie obviously knew he was leaving by February. Does he own any fault for leading the team on?

Because, if Kyrie had been more honest, there’s a chance we could have gotten additional assets. Maybe we work out a way to keep Horford.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #366 on: November 29, 2019, 03:09:11 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Do you think he should have told Danny when he changed his mind?  Kyrie obviously knew he was leaving by February. Does he own any fault for leading the team on?

Because, if Kyrie had been more honest, there’s a chance we could have gotten additional assets. Maybe we work out a way to keep Horford.

There was a yahoo report that the Nets agreed to a sign and trade but Horford already committed to Philly. So Horford could've stayed if he wanted, but he opted not to. That's his choice.

As far as trading Kyrie, not sure it would've made a difference. Brooklyn had no reason to pony up assets knowing they could just sign him outright in free agency. I also don't see other teams giving up value for a half season rental. I actually believe that Danny would have taken a look at the offers and decided to ride the season out, believing a deep playoff run might sell him on changing his mind again - especially with possibility of AD still out there.

EDIT: Here's the Yahoo article.

"According to Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald, such a trade was discussed, and the Celtics were prepared to meet the Nets' asking price to execute the trade. However, the deal never got to the final stages because of Horford's commitment to the Philadelphia 76ers. He honored his commitment and signed a four-year $97 million contract with Philly on June 30."

https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-rumors-three-way-trade-223559215.html
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #367 on: November 29, 2019, 03:22:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

There was a yahoo report that the Nets agreed to a sign and trade but Horford already committed to Philly. So Horford could've stayed if he wanted, but he opted not to. That's his choice.

As far as trading Kyrie, not sure it would've made a difference. Brooklyn had no reason to pony up assets knowing they could just sign him outright in free agency. I also don't see other teams giving up value for a half season rental. I actually believe that Danny would have taken a look at the offers and decided to ride the season out, believing a deep playoff run might sell him on changing his mind again - especially with possibility of AD still out there.

"According to Steve Bulpett of the Boston Herald, such a trade was discussed, and the Celtics were prepared to meet the Nets' asking price to execute the trade. However, the deal never got to the final stages because of Horford's commitment to the Philadelphia 76ers. He honored his commitment and signed a four-year $97 million contract with Philly on June 30."

Right, but that’s because the team was still focused on Kyrie and Anthony Davis. If the team had known Kyrie was leaving five months ahead of time, he could have sold Horford on his plan long before late June.

Horford also said he might not have left (committed to Philly) if he knew that we were getting Kemba instead of Kyrie.

“I’m not sure that has anything to do with it for me,” Horford said. “I just think that if Kyrie would have stayed, I don’t know if it would have worked. There would have had to be some major changes as far as players, because it was just clear that the group that we had just wasn’t going to be able to coexist.”

And what about if he’d known Kemba Walker was coming. Horford paused.

“I don’t want to get caught up in the past,” he said, “but, yeah, that would have been totally different.”

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #368 on: November 29, 2019, 03:39:25 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1409
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Right, but that’s because the team was still focused on Kyrie and Anthony Davis. If the team had known Kyrie was leaving five months ahead of time, he could have sold Horford on his plan long before late June.

Horford also said he might not have left (committed to Philly) if he knew that we were getting Kemba instead of Kyrie.

Even if Kyrie had told Danny then, there's no way he could've known Kemba would be an option.

I also think Al was paying a bit of lip service when he said he might not have left, the tampering was rampant on all fronts so he had to have known Kemba was coming before FA officially started. I believe Danny & Co. thought they could get Al on hometown discount and then Philly offered him a lot money. By the time we realized we had to meet market value, it was too late. It's almost verbatim what happened with him and Atlanta. Al seems to place more importance on money as opposed to sentimentality, which is 100% his right. I also think Al didn't want to continue playing center for big minutes and we just traded Aron Baynes. I do think Al looked at both rosters and thought he would have a better shot at a ring in Philly playing next to Embiid.

tl;dr A nearly $100m contract at age 33 + the team's franchise guy plays the position you don't want to play? I strongly believe Al's situation would've played out independently of Kyrie no matter what.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #369 on: November 29, 2019, 04:43:26 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis

I wholeheartedly believe that at one point early on - as evidenced by that touching video with his father - he planned on staying...he WAS enamored by the culture here. He does seem like a deep young man = perhaps TOO DEEP for his own fault.

Kyrie has - in several instances - admitted that he failed BOS. With the culture here in BOS perhaps he saw his ability to negotiate forgiveness to be a long gone conclusion.

Perhaps Durant's persuasive powers won him over.

Kyrie is his own man...that is to his detriment at times.

My thing is THIS - "IF" he has mental issues I pray he gets help - as he evidently alluded to in his recent twitter post. Get it out there - like Kevin Love. Do NOT be ashamed.

Do this then I am certain the Boston Faithful will react to him differently when he eventually returns to BOS.

« Reply #370 on: November 29, 2019, 05:51:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

“I’m not sure that has anything to do with it for me,” Horford said. “I just think that if Kyrie would have stayed, I don’t know if it would have worked. There would have had to be some major changes as far as players, because it was just clear that the group that we had just wasn’t going to be able to coexist.”

And what about if he’d known Kemba Walker was coming. Horford paused.

“I don’t want to get caught up in the past,” he said, “but, yeah, that would have been totally different.”

I’m fairly certain Horford knew Kyrie was leaving, in advance. Seems like it was the worse kept secret in the NBA.

« Reply #371 on: November 29, 2019, 06:47:18 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I do agree with moiso that doing charity worked — particularly with cameras rolling — doesn’t suggest somebody is a good person. Antonio Brown is a better comparison, though.
Yeah, I agree. Doing charity work doesn't make you a good person or prove anything about your character, especially for those that are extremely wealthy who sometimes contribute time and money or create charities for their own selfish monetary purposes or trying to build good PR for a brand.

I have little opinion or knowledge of Kyrie to know if he is a genuinely good guy doing charity work or a knob doing charity work for self serving purposes. He really matters little to me anymore.

If people want to criticize him personally for acts seen over the last year or so, great but stick to judging him off that and let's not completely assassinate the man's character by comparing him to a mass murderer, that's not right.

mass murderer? Aaron Hernandez?

« Reply #372 on: November 29, 2019, 07:39:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I do agree with moiso that doing charity worked — particularly with cameras rolling — doesn’t suggest somebody is a good person. Antonio Brown is a better comparison, though.
Yeah, I agree. Doing charity work doesn't make you a good person or prove anything about your character, especially for those that are extremely wealthy who sometimes contribute time and money or create charities for their own selfish monetary purposes or trying to build good PR for a brand.

I have little opinion or knowledge of Kyrie to know if he is a genuinely good guy doing charity work or a knob doing charity work for self serving purposes. He really matters little to me anymore.

If people want to criticize him personally for acts seen over the last year or so, great but stick to judging him off that and let's not completely assassinate the man's character by comparing him to a mass murderer, that's not right.

Yes. Aaron Hernandez. He killed three people. Convicted for one of them but he committed suicide before he could be convicted of the other 2 people. If you don't like the adjective "mass" then use "multiple time". It matters little to me.

« Reply #373 on: November 29, 2019, 08:50:04 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Yes. Aaron Hernandez. He killed three people. Convicted for one of them but he committed suicide before he could be convicted of the other 2 people. If you don't like the adjective "mass" then use "multiple time". It matters little to me.

just checking to make sure I didnt miss something.

« Reply #374 on: November 30, 2019, 09:05:57 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
There's a few reasons why Kyrie is taking a lot of stick from Boston fans, but the main one I think is that he basically ghosted us after promising us he was all in on being a Celtic. First his promise to season ticket holders "if you're willing to have me back, I plan on re-signing here" at the start of 2018, then his commercial saying he wanted his number retired. Add to that the fact that we as fans were a very optimistic bunch with high expectations at that time, we thought we would plug Kyrie and Gordon back into our ECF reaching team and would challenge the Dubs in the finals, with Kyrie leading the way.

We all know what happened. Kyrie starting throwing his younger teammates under the bus, he became the face of the frustrations within the team because he was the highest profile player and because he was willing to talk about it. Then the rumors about him wanting to pair up with Durant wouldn't go away and the media kept bringing up his free agency and he handled it badly. Then he promised us we would do well in the playoffs "because I'm here". Then when we got to the playoffs, he just couldn't (or wouldn't) deliver when it mattered.

So all that was bad enough for fans...then he basically just ghosted us and signed with Brooklyn, didn't say anything to Boston or about Boston. Jaylen Brown and Al apologized to fans, we didn't hear anything from Kyrie. Aron Baynes took out a full page ad thanking Boston for his time here. (Even Kelly Olynyk did so when he was traded to Miami.) Our last Boston-related comments from him was more about him, saying he hadn't been in a situation where "he" got hammered 4-1 in the playoffs and that "he" would learn from it. Nothing about the team. Then he just...disappeared. First we hear about him signing elsewhere is with his slickly produced "I'm Coming Home" video, where there wasn't any word about Boston at all.

So it felt not only like he ghosted us after being engaged without explaining anything, but also that he dissed us, dissed what it means to be a Celtic, all the history, respect for the jersey, all that stuff. And not only that, he just so happens to be injured when he's supposed to play in Boston for the first time after leaving (things that make you go hmmmm???) then he doesn't even show up on the bench! Obviously there's no rule that he has to be here when he's injured, but that just so looks like a chicken act. No wonder people booed the hell out of him.

I don't think Kyrie is a bad person. I think he's a wondrously talented basketball player. I don't think he means to be a bad teammate, and I don't think the Celtics think he is. I do think he struggles with manning up to things that are difficult (like having to explain why he broke his word). God knows a lot of people do. It's why he tries to avoid playing in Cleveland, or Boston. I'd be surprised if he played here in the next 3 years.

Of course he doesn't owe us any explanation (not even his long rambling defensive Instagram missive). Personally I moved on from him long ago and don't need any explanation (even though I seem to be the starter of this thread, in my defense it wasn't titled this when I posted it  :angel:). But think of how much better it would have gone for him if he had a) been much more thoughtful and introspective about the Milwaukee series loss, and to do what Al or Aron did, make some kind of statement thanking Boston fans for supporting him during his time here, saying it was a hard decision but he wanted to go home. People would be disappointed but nobody would begrudge someone wanting to go home. Or if he had showed up to take the boos and turned it into a laugh, I think people would have respected that. They probably would have still booed him, but not as much  :P

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D