Author Topic: I dislike Kyrie(merged threads)  (Read 60737 times)

Re: Did Kyrie quit on the celtics in the playoffs last year?
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2019, 10:01:36 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Wel, there’s a big difference.between the first two games of the regular season and playing the bucks in the playoffs.  What last years playoffs showed is that kyrie can’t do it by himself.  What we also may be seeing is much better chemistry on his current team.  Case in point, kemba also struggling in THIS situation a little.

Anyway, no, I wouldn’t say quit.  Fans go to the effort and passion card much too often.

I think it's more than fair to question his level of engagement as the series continued.  It felt like Kyrie was going through the motions, even on the possessions where he was shooting.  There was no sense of urgency, which I attribute to his general unhappiness in Boston.  His post-game presser after game 5 told the entire story.

Re: Did Brown just throw some shade at Kyrie
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2019, 10:02:41 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I think it's funny so many here can't stop obsessing about Kyrie. Just let it go already, he's probably already forgotten about all of us. He's moved on, so should we. The more people keep trying to rehash what went down last season the more you really do just look like a jealous ex.

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2019, 10:09:21 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
I think it's funny so many here can't stop obsessing about Kyrie. Just let it go already, he's probably already forgotten about all of us. He's moved on, so should we. The more people keep trying to rehash what went down last season the more you really do just look like a jealous ex.

Isn't this par for the course with sports fandom?  I generally feel indifferent about Kyrie at this point, mostly because he never allowed us to embrace him as a Celtic.  He always felt like an outsider.  That being said, his general attitude made last years Celtics one of the most unlikable groups I've ever been a fan of. 

Anyways, some days I enjoy rehashing the Kyrie stuff and other days I could care less.  However, I'll be the first to admit that I'm rooting against him every single night.

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2019, 10:15:38 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
Yeah, they had a clip of Kemba saying the same type of stuff to Tatum. Maybe it was the Philly game. Encouraging him. Just keep going. Keep attacking. Don't get down on yourself for missing shots. Keep going. We trust you.

Good leadership.
As I alluded to in my post, good leadership isn’t just being encouraging.  Sometimes it does mean kicking guys in the butt.  And I a serous way.

So suggesting that kyrie was tough on Jaylen doesn’t move the needle for me.  That was his style and this is Kembas.  Either can work and not work at times.

You make a fair point about leadership styles.  The major difference is that Kemba comes off as more authentic than Kyrie.  Kyrie is a very passive aggressive person, which resulted in his criticisms coming off as whiny and petulant.  Not to mention that he completely isolated himself from teammates at various points throughout the season. 

« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2019, 10:45:01 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
No.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2019, 10:46:11 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Yes, he was going through the motions on offense and not playing any defense.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2019, 10:59:25 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Yeah, Jaylen strikes me as a guy that responds better to love as opposed to tough love.  That said, some players need a kick in the butt.

Yeah, I think Jaylen is someone who is so hard on himself, internally, that too much outward pressure can send him into a spiral. And we've all seen him spiral. But we've also seen him respond to tough situations. The '18 playoffs, the second half of last season. I think Kemba is going to bring some balance to the leadership.

That said, I don't think he's afraid to get yelled at. He still plays with Marcus, afterall.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2019, 11:01:01 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Yes he did

They had a destructive relationship last season

But he wasnt wrong about Kyme

Throwing tantrums if he didnt get the ball at certain situations

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2019, 11:10:44 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Yeah, they had a clip of Kemba saying the same type of stuff to Tatum. Maybe it was the Philly game. Encouraging him. Just keep going. Keep attacking. Don't get down on yourself for missing shots. Keep going. We trust you.

Good leadership.
As I alluded to in my post, good leadership isn’t just being encouraging.  Sometimes it does mean kicking guys in the butt.  And I a serous way.

So suggesting that kyrie was tough on Jaylen doesn’t move the needle for me.  That was his style and this is Kembas.  Either can work and not work at times.

You make a fair point about leadership styles.  The major difference is that Kemba comes off as more authentic than Kyrie.  Kyrie is a very passive aggressive person, which resulted in his criticisms coming off as whiny and petulant.  Not to mention that he completely isolated himself from teammates at various points throughout the season.
Great points.  The irony is that I was pushing back against the simplistic view that nice equal good and tough equal bad.  In doing so, I didn’t fully unravel the details either.  And yes, whatever your style, you better be real.

« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2019, 11:22:02 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Its what a leader does.  Cryee was no leader.

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2019, 11:28:59 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Isn't this par for the course with sports fandom?  I generally feel indifferent about Kyrie at this point, mostly because he never allowed us to embrace him as a Celtic.  He always felt like an outsider.  That being said, his general attitude made last years Celtics one of the most unlikable groups I've ever been a fan of. 

Anyways, some days I enjoy rehashing the Kyrie stuff and other days I could care less.  However, I'll be the first to admit that I'm rooting against him every single night.

I do not understand folks that wont let fans be fans, and it does not look like Kyrie has  forgotten his time in Boston

« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2019, 07:40:52 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
I wouldn't want that to be true but I can see the evidence. Not only from his lacklustre performances and disregard for 'team'. Kyrie is an inconsistent character by any measure. He is not the guy I would want next to me in the trenches when the going gets tough. He is fickle and his ego blinds him from seeing the whole picture at times.

« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2019, 07:45:26 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I thought it was pretty clear he quit on us in Game 5 of the Bucks series.

15 points 1 assist on  on 6 for 21 shooting where he didn't even try to pretend he was playing a team game.

« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2019, 07:52:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Somewhere in BF Montana did a bear take a dump in the woods today ?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 12:05:16 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2019, 07:58:34 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yes, it was obvious too.