Author Topic: Sacramento Kings 2018-19 Season Watch Thread  (Read 124843 times)

Re: Sacramento Kings 2018-19 Season Watch Thread
« Reply #105 on: July 05, 2018, 11:40:13 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Everyone (I mean the teams competing for the top of the 2019 draft) is getting better but the Kings :)

This pick is getting more valuable by the day.

Atlanta and Chicago are also staying pat, but yes, the Kings look to be the bottom 5 team many around here expect.  Those three teams are the only ones to have not added any players via free agency or trade so far this summer.

It's true that Sacramento hasn't added players thru trade or free agency. However, they did pick up Marvin Bagley and they'll be adding a redshirted Harry Giles. Both players are question marks. Before his ACL injury, Giles was expected to go at the top of the lottery. If he has recovered - and some players do fully recover from an ACL - he could be a ROY-type talent or close to it. How many were ready to write off Simmons and Embiid after their injuries? Bagley is another question mark. His motor and fluidity are outstanding, but his role and ability to defend are less clear. That could be a dynamic young frontcourt that will at least vault the Kings into mediocrity ... or just a pair of too-young players who don't move the needle in the ridiculously competitive West.

You could say the same things about the Hawks with Trey Young, Kevin Huerter, and Omari Spellman, or the Bulls with Wendell Carter Jr. and Chandler Hutchison.  The likelihood that any set of these rookies push their respective teams, who were all in the bottom 5 of point differential per 100 possessions, into even mediocrity is incredibly low.  Again, Sacramento was 29th in net rating.  The difference between them and the mediocre Charlotte Hornets (20th in net rating) was greater than the difference between Charlotte and Toronto (3rd in net rating).  It’s going to be borderline impossible for the Kings to improve that much on the scoreboard, so it will take a lot of good luck for them to improve even half that much and at the same time outperform their expected win total by 4-5 wins again.

It’s much more likely that we lose the #1 pick to Philadelphia than Sacramento improves to the 8-12th team range in the league.
The Kings have a lot more young talent then the Hawks and Bulls though, and thus you would expect them to improve a much faster rate.  They also were a better team then those 2 last year.  I think the Kings are a 30 win team this year (they won 27 last year).  Now where that ultimately ends up in the standings I have no idea, but I think they have a very strong foundation for future success with some low level mediocrity this year

PG - Fox, Mason
SG - Hield, Temple, Shumpert
SF - Bogdanovic, Jackson
PF - Bagley, Labissiere, Randolph, Giles, Hayes
C - WCS, Koufos

There is a lot of young talent floating around that team, sprinkled in with a few vets.  And I really like Bagley this year as I think he wins the ROY. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #106 on: July 05, 2018, 11:45:13 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Everyone (I mean the teams competing for the top of the 2019 draft) is getting better but the Kings :)

Atlanta and Chicago are also staying pat, but yes, the Kings look to be the bottom 5 team many around here expect.  Those three teams are the only ones to have not added any players via free agency or trade so far this summer.

It's true that Sacramento hasn't added players thru trade or free agency. However, they did pick up Marvin Bagley and they'll be adding a redshirted Harry Giles. Both players are question marks. Before his ACL injury, Giles was expected to go at the top of the lottery. If he has recovered - and some players do fully recover from an ACL - he could be a ROY-type talent or close to it. How many were ready to write off Simmons and Embiid after their injuries? Bagley is another question mark. His motor and fluidity are outstanding, but his role and ability to defend are less clear. That could be a dynamic young frontcourt that will at least vault the Kings into mediocrity ... or just a pair of too-young players who don't move the needle in the ridiculously competitive West.

You could say the same things about the Hawks with Trey Young, Kevin Huerter, and Omari Spellman, or the Bulls with Wendell Carter Jr. and Chandler Hutchison.  The likelihood that any set of these rookies push their respective teams, who were all in the bottom 5 of point differential per 100 possessions, into even mediocrity is incredibly low.  Again, Sacramento was 29th in net rating.  The difference between them and the mediocre Charlotte Hornets (20th in net rating) was greater than the difference between Charlotte and Toronto (3rd in net rating).  It’s going to be borderline impossible for the Kings to improve that much on the scoreboard, so it will take a lot of good luck for them to improve even half that much and at the same time outperform their expected win total by 4-5 wins again.

It’s much more likely that we lose the #1 pick to Philadelphia than Sacramento improves to the 8-12th team range in the league.
The Kings have a lot more young talent then the Hawks and Bulls though, and thus you would expect them to improve a much faster rate.  They also were a better team then those 2 last year.  I think the Kings are a 30 win team this year (they won 27 last year).  Now where that ultimately ends up in the standings I have no idea, but I think they have a very strong foundation for future success with some low level mediocrity this year

PG - Fox, Mason
SF - Bogdanovic, Jackson
C - WCS, Koufos

There is a lot of young talent floating around that team, sprinkled in with a few vets.  And I really like Bagley this year as I think he wins the ROY.

30 wins? Lol, good luck with how stacked the West is... I predict if the Hawks can benefit from being able to hit the 3's at above league average rate, then maybe they can pull out 29-32 wins.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #107 on: July 05, 2018, 12:16:10 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

PG - Fox, Mason
SF - Bogdanovic, Jackson
C - WCS, Koufos

30 wins? Lol, good luck with how stacked the West is... I predict if the Hawks can benefit from being able to hit the 3's at above league average rate, then maybe they can pull out 29-32 wins.
The West was nearly as good last year and they won 27 games.  I think they are better than the Suns and Mavs (I am not a fan of their moves for this season) and who the heck knows what the Grizzlies will actually look like (given the age and injury concerns of their top players).  I think the Kings are clearly better than both the Hawks and Bulls and there is a very good chance they are better than the Knicks and Nets as well and maybe even the Magic (and who really knows what the Hornets and Cavs will look by the end of the summer).  Remember the Kings were 13-17 against the East last year, and just 14-38 against the West.  I don't think 15-15 against the East and 15-37 is all that crazy or even all that unlikely. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #108 on: July 05, 2018, 12:21:50 PM »

Offline Hank Finkel

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 41
I am hoping for another #3 pick. We have done well at that position. 

« Reply #109 on: July 05, 2018, 12:32:01 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
how much risk are you willing to take? 11 spot for example 2% chance for #1, 14 spot 0.5% for #1.  ;D

« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2018, 12:37:33 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

PG - Fox, Mason
SF - Bogdanovic, Jackson
C - WCS, Koufos

I can guarantee you the Kings don’t win 30 games this year.  100% guarantee.  They won 27 games with the point-differential of a 23-win team, and had no significant injuries.  They hit their absolute ceiling last year, and won 27.  They’re not winning 30.  This is just like people a few years ago saying that Brooklyn would win 30-35 games.

« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2018, 12:43:41 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

PG - Fox, Mason
SF - Bogdanovic, Jackson
C - WCS, Koufos

I can guarantee you the Kings don’t win 30 games this year.  100% guarantee.  They won 27 games with the point-differential of a 23-win team, and had no significant injuries.  They hit their absolute ceiling last year, and won 27.  They’re not winning 30.  This is just like people a few years ago saying that Brooklyn would win 30-35 games.

This was my exact thinking. The Bagley-Hield-Bogdonavic-Giles lineup will be a turn-table defensively, even if Fox is on the court. Offensively, they will be alright (with a lot of potential for the future), but not enough to win games.

« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2018, 01:00:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I will honestly be a little bit shocked if the Kings projected win total for 2018-2019 is not among the 5 lowest. The east teams pick up wins by playing against each other a bunch of times (part of the reason the two worst records were out west last year). The Mavericks were tanking so hard last year they were fined for it and they will not be doing it this year. Memphis also clearly wont be in the tank with Conley and Gasol and everything their front office has said. The Kings are going to get absolutely blitzed playing out west. I agree with the other posters that this reminds me of everyone talking up the Nets when we owned their pick when Vegas and every objective measure had them as a bottom team.

« Reply #113 on: July 06, 2018, 10:00:54 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Bulls matched the LaVine offer sheet!

The Bulls have decided to match Sacramento's $78M offer sheet to Zach LaVine, league sources tell ESPN.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1015413847866216449?s=21

« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2018, 10:05:23 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

The Bulls have decided to match Sacramento's $78M offer sheet to Zach LaVine, league sources tell ESPN.

tP
Good news

« Reply #115 on: July 06, 2018, 10:10:07 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

why in the world don't they wait to match!!  i want us to work something out with Smart first!

« Reply #116 on: July 06, 2018, 10:12:51 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743

why in the world don't they wait to match!!  i want us to work something out with Smart first!

oh..........

Bobby Marks

Verified account

@BobbyMarks42
Follow Follow @BobbyMarks42
More
As we learned last year from Otto Porter, Chicago can take 48 hours to match and 48 hours to pass on the physical. Kings cap space would be tied up for 4 days.

that's what i want to see

« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2018, 03:58:12 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

That whole sequence was crazy - huge overpay, long contract. I still don’t expect the Kings to make a run at Smart, but if they’re offering LaVine that kind of money, who knows what they’ll talk themselves into. 

« Reply #118 on: July 07, 2018, 04:41:12 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

It's a running joke on Blogabull that Bulls management doesn't work on weekends and that's why that hurried to match on a Friday night.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2018, 07:11:26 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Bad news for our pick—-NBA will not change one and done til 2021 at earliest—was hoping we would have access to some HS seniors next year