Author Topic: The truth is... we don't need Rondo  (Read 19396 times)

Re: The truth is... we don't need Rondo
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2013, 12:43:18 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Come playoff time, there's no other I want more on this team than Rondo. "He coasts 50% ofthe regular season." Yeah, that's called pacing himself. See: Derrick Rose. When you're a small guy whose game relies on getting into the paint, your body's going to take a beating.  So he takes it easy sometimes in the regular season. I don't remotely care.

People seem to be griping that he isn't wearing himself out chasing regular season MVP trophies,  I think he'd much rather have a Finals MVP trophy and he knows he has to be healthy to do that.

Really? The same Derrick Rose that got injured because of his Gerald Wallace "crash" style of play is saving himself for the playoffs? Pretty sure the injury from risky play limits him, not his work ethic & coaching.  Look, I agree Rondo is brilliant in the playoffs, and last year may have been the best player in the playoffs, but that doesn't excuse his turning it on/off & bad decision making during the regular season. 

If he is "saving" himself for the playoffs, why does he get triple doubles in almost every regular season game that's nationally televised only to go flat the following night against the bucks or some other "unimportant" team?

I love Rondo, but his attitude really irks me sometimes.  Are you telling me that if Memphis came calling offering Rudy Gay & Mike Connolly for him you wouldn't at least kick the tires? Guess you would hang up the phone.

I've never heard complaints about his work ethic - considering he's improved his game every year he's been in the league,  his work ethic seems to be fine. 

And that whole "Rondo only brings it for nationally televised games" is overblown.  A lot of those nationally televised triple doubles are playoff games. Since some people only seem capable of remembering whats happened this past week, Rondo did just get a triple double against the Hawks in a game that wasn't nationally televised.  He also played very well against the Pacers in a game that wasn't nationally televised.

Does he get a little more into it for some games than others? Yeah. Is he the only one to do it? Not even close. I'm pretty sure we'd all love to have the Jeff Green that we've seen against OKC. Pierce seems to play at his best when we play the Knicks.  Even KG brings extra "oomph" against the TWolves. People just like to nitpick Rondo.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2013, 01:05:14 PM »

Offline RyNye

• NGT
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 97
Rondo's inconsistency as a whole is completely overblown. People have the most selective memories.

Seriously, I challenge someone to find any evidence that Rondo is any more inconsistent than any other star player. Even Durant and Lebron have bad games.

Look at Melo last night! He sucked. He scored 20 points, but not efficiently. Rondo, at least, has the sense to know when he is cold and doesn't just jack up shots for the sake of it.

« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2013, 01:06:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
There does seem to be a trend of us winning when Rondo sits.  But Rondo is still a great player.  One of the 5 best point guards in the league for sure.

« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2013, 01:09:31 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
There does seem to be a trend of us winning when Rondo sits.  But Rondo is still a great player.  One of the 5 best point guards in the league for sure.

I think there is a trend for teams in general to win a game or two when a their star player is out.  Guys who might sit back a bit when the star is in there, tend to lift up their game to another level on the short-term, to help their team win.

But generally, these things are short-term effects.  Once it goes more than a handful of games, then the lesser players regress to the norm, and everything evens out. 

« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2013, 01:19:05 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

For sure.  Top two falls under the category of "top five."

Kevin Durant is a top five small forward in the league for sure.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2013, 01:23:51 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I created THIS THREAD last year saying we should trade Rondo because of his immaturity and emotion.  He is far too immature and emotional to be the leader of a title contender.  When the emotion is on and works, he is a superstar, but when the emotion is off he plays poorly, doesn't hustle, is very inconsistent, and finds himself often making stupid decisions (getting T'd up, and sometimes ejected or suspended).  In addition, Rondo also would net the greatest return given his ability, production, and contract.  Thus I'm all for trading Rondo, I just wouldn't move him just to move him, but if Boston could get back good value, I would be all for it.

Something like this 3 team trade would be good for me.

Boston gets Cousins, Robinson, Brooks
Sacramento gets Rondo, Gay, Melo
Memphis gets Evans, Salmons, Bass

So your dementia has clearly gotten worse since this time last year, I see. Because now, you're not only bantering to trade our best player (a top 3-5 PG in the game), but you're concocting deals where Sacramento (the "sellers market" team) is somehow trading Cousins/Evans (at their lowest values) and getting back not just Rondo, but also Rudy Gay???

Take your meds and switch back to CSI reruns, instead of wasting your time "analyzing" NBA games.
You mean the same Rudy Gay that might get moved to Phoenix for Jared Dudley and a couple of firsts.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2013, 01:32:09 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
i'm still trying to figure out if this thread is a joke

who is it that first came up with the rondo is responsible for global warming line?

did anyone post:
the truth is....we don't need garnett when brian scalabrine was starting in his place and we were winning?  ::)

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2013, 01:34:38 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

who is it that first came up with the rondo is responsible for global warming line?

did anyone post:
the truth is....we don't need garnett when brian scalabrine was starting in his place and we were winning?  ::)

Check my signature
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2013, 01:36:46 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Where is BBallTim when you need him?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2013, 01:37:20 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Threads like these are always good for a hearty laugh.

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2013, 01:37:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Anyone can be traded and have the team be improved, so long as you get proper talent and needs back. Thinking otherwise is naive and ridiculous.

Thinking Rondo has to be traded because removing him from the team benefits the team and using last night's game as proof is equally naive and ridiculous.

When Bradley was gone for a long period of time and our perimeter defense was so bad it made the entire team defense bad.

When KG was hurt and gone for a long period of time three years ago we went from title contender to middle of the pack afterthought.

Lose Rondo for a long period of time without proper replacement and this team will not look like it did last night for that extended period of time. We will be a much worse overall team. Mark my word on that.

So if Rondo is going you better be bringing in a Kyle Lowry, Jeff Teague, Ty Lawson, Goran Dragic or other such very competent PG and a very good big man as well as replacement to make this team as good or better than they currently are.

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2013, 01:37:44 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Unless we're trading him for a good point guard *and* a good big man, there's no sense in getting rid of him.

Dragic, Gortat, and picks for Rondo and Lee?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2013, 01:39:44 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

did anyone post:

I actually liked Scal when Perk was injured.

Loved Scal as a PF for us, Doc rarely used him at that capacity for some reason. It always was center or SF (where he sucked).

« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2013, 01:40:22 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
So if Rondo is going you better be bringing in a Kyle Lowry, Jeff Teague, Ty Lawson, Goran Dragic or other such very competent PG and a very good big man as well as replacement to make this team as good or better than they currently are.
I don't think anyone is sugesting giving away Rondo for spare parts. But one has to think whether the presence of Lee and the emergence of Bradley would make him expendable.

Truth is, Rondo is the only piece that could bring in a high-caliber big man - except I can't think of anyone who can be available that I'd like in such a trade, so I guess it's safe to shelf the idea.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2013, 01:43:40 PM »

Offline CelticsFanNC

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
     Coming to the conclusion that this team is either as good or better without Rondo goes against everything the teams front office, coaching staff and his teammates have said in recent seasons.  It goes against everything every NBA analysts has said in recent seasons.  It goes against everything opposing coaches, players and front offices have said as well.

People have the right to have that opinion but that doesn't make that opinion any less uninformed or wrong.