Author Topic: Fultz still can't shoot  (Read 24886 times)

Re: Fultz still can't shoot
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2018, 11:34:57 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
This whole thing has been really intriguing to me... I've never seen anything like this in the NBA before.  I can see it in baseball where there's copious amount of times to think (and over think) throws in pressure situations, but basketball is a quick rhythm sport.

I honestly don't see how Fultz can come back from this.  Many of the day-to-day practice videos are showing a completely different shot that isn't even remotely serviceable in the nba... even if they were going in! 

Is it bad that a small part of me is secretly taking delight in this?
Yes it is.  Were you delighted when Embiid missed a 2nd season?  Did you write him off then?  Oops.  Big Mistake. 

No reason not to expect Fultz to come back from this even if he misses the full season.  He should develop into a starter and possibly a star.  Never saw him as a franchise player and  obviously still don't.

I don't really see what this has to do with embiid. Nobody thought embiids leg injuries were in his head

« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2018, 11:39:05 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
U of Washington is a small school?  Maybe compared to Ohio State.

I'm dubious that this is a case of stage fright, given that he's played fine on the national stage before and in front of big crowds.  And the problems seemed to start during last summer.  Possible.  But I'm skeptical.

We (public fans) will probably never really know the cause of all this.
I don't know much about college hoops, but my understanding was that in basketball terms, UW is a "small" school. So I'm guessing that you get less of the proverbial spotlight there. I think that's relevant to the extent to which there's now talk that the 76ers are getting him to work out  away from public scrutiny. To me that all but guarantees that this is a mental and not an injury case.

For the morbidly curious (like me), Neubek published another article in the Inquirer PhillyVoice a couple of days ago:

http://www.phillyvoice.com/what-has-really-been-going-markelle-fultz-shoulder-injury-broken-jump-shot/

Not looking to gloat, though. Could happen to anyone. I mean, Tatum is already shooting ~30% from three after someone kicked his thumb some weeks ago. *cringe*

edit: Had to fix my sources because I'm an idiot...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #152 on: February 14, 2018, 11:55:08 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
U of Washington is a small school?  Maybe compared to Ohio State.

I'm dubious that this is a case of stage fright, given that he's played fine on the national stage before and in front of big crowds.  And the problems seemed to start during last summer.  Possible.  But I'm skeptical.

We (public fans) will probably never really know the cause of all this.
I don't know much about college hoops, but my understanding was that in basketball terms, UW is a "small" school. So I'm guessing that you get less of the proverbial spotlight there. I think that's relevant to the extent to which there's now talk that the 76ers are getting him to work out  away from public scrutiny. To me that all but guarantees that this is a mental and not an injury case.

For the morbidly curious (like me), Neubek published another article in the Inquirer PhillyVoice a couple of days ago:

http://www.phillyvoice.com/what-has-really-been-going-markelle-fultz-shoulder-injury-broken-jump-shot/

Not looking to gloat, though. Could happen to anyone. I mean, Tatum is already shooting ~30% from three after someone kicked his thumb some weeks ago. *cringe*

edit: Had to fix my sources because I'm an idiot...
God, that article was long. Just stopped reading mid way through.

I feel slightly bad for Fultz. Don't feel bad for Philly though.

« Reply #153 on: February 14, 2018, 12:12:56 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
God, that article was long. Just stopped reading mid way through.

I feel slightly bad for Fultz. Don't feel bad for Philly though.
Yeah, I didn't realize how long it was when I posted it. Buried somewhere in the wall of text is an interesting little tidbit about Fultz having "scapula dyskinesis" (abnormal movement of the scapula blade), which is not nearly the same as a "muscle imbalance"...
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #154 on: February 14, 2018, 12:19:22 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619
If he wasn't the #1 and say he was a late 1st or 2nd rounder would they have cut bait already or strongly considering it?

Philly is in a tough spot because what they paid to get him. It's much harder to sell something you paid top dollar for because you want ROI.

This kid isn't hurt or Philly is the worst run organization of all of pro sports. In either case Fultz won't recover from this to be a John Wall, Kyrie Irving or even Lillard. Maybe he can become a rotation player for someone hoping they can fix him but man it aint looking good. How many times has a guy made it to the NBA and had to learn how to shoot?

Hopefully for him he just shuts everyone out and say bleep it I'm shooting the way I want no ones advice is helping me.
ok fine

« Reply #155 on: February 14, 2018, 01:20:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
This kid isn't hurt or Philly is the worst run organization of all of pro sports. In either case Fultz won't recover from this to be a John Wall, Kyrie Irving or even Lillard. Maybe he can become a rotation player for someone hoping they can fix him but man it aint looking good. How many times has a guy made it to the NBA and had to learn how to shoot?
I was clicking through the videos in that long-arse article and realized how often he hangs his head down after an ugly jumper.  Makes it hard to believe he'll ever turn into a big-time scorer -- those guys essentially plow through games with the mindset that the next shot is always going in.

« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2018, 03:16:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
conspiracy theory ,  Fultz plotting  to get traded off Philly , so Danny can pick him up for a song.   :)

« Reply #157 on: February 15, 2018, 12:31:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I honestly believe Fultz was injured and tried to play through it by adjusting his shot, which then in turn completely messed the kid up.  He probably just doesn't know which way is up right now, but I can't believe that a kid with that much shooting talent, is forever broken.  He will get it figured out at some point.  Hopefully for his sake it is this year or it will be a very long off season for him and he may not actually ever recover.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #158 on: February 15, 2018, 12:48:30 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I honestly believe Fultz was injured and tried to play through it by adjusting his shot, which then in turn completely messed the kid up.  He probably just doesn't know which way is up right now, but I can't believe that a kid with that much shooting talent, is forever broken.  He will get it figured out at some point.  Hopefully for his sake it is this year or it will be a very long off season for him and he may not actually ever recover.
His trainer has admitted that they began tweaking his shot to get rid of a hitch prior to any claim of a shoulder injury.  Maybe the new form led to a shoulder injury.  Maybe the new form led to a brain injury.

« Reply #159 on: May 30, 2018, 12:35:22 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
The alleged Colangelo comments about this are strange

« Reply #160 on: May 30, 2018, 12:47:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
yea he was shooting from laying on his back? Sounds like a sick joke...

« Reply #161 on: May 30, 2018, 12:56:33 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I was clicking through the videos in that long-arse article and realized how often he hangs his head down after an ugly jumper.  Makes it hard to believe he'll ever turn into a big-time scorer -- those guys essentially plow through games with the mindset that the next shot is always going in.

I have to think Philly or Boston would've been the best spots for him to be drafted, considering the fact that Brown or Stevens can at least fix his shot and instill confidence. If he went to a bottom feeding team, I don't think he would be riding the pine and losing any semblance of whatever confidence he has left.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #162 on: June 24, 2018, 08:42:04 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
I guess the debate is finally over.

With Markelle, obviously he had one of the most, you know, documented cases of kind of the yips in basketball in recent years, where he completely forgot how to shoot, and had multiple hitches in his shot. So for me, it was, hey, listen, how can I get this kid who was No. 1 in last year’s draft back rolling and get him to the point where he was before, if not better?
-Drew Hanlen

https://sports.yahoo.com/skills-trainer-drew-hanlen-76ers-guard-markelle-fultz-yips-completely-forgot-shoot-204147182.html

« Reply #163 on: June 24, 2018, 05:27:19 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I guess the debate is finally over.

With Markelle, obviously he had one of the most, you know, documented cases of kind of the yips in basketball in recent years, where he completely forgot how to shoot, and had multiple hitches in his shot. So for me, it was, hey, listen, how can I get this kid who was No. 1 in last year’s draft back rolling and get him to the point where he was before, if not better?
-Drew Hanlen

https://sports.yahoo.com/skills-trainer-drew-hanlen-76ers-guard-markelle-fultz-yips-completely-forgot-shoot-204147182.html

I think this is so interesting. If he ever gets past this, I think he can still be an all star but at this point he might need a therapist more than a shooting coach. I hope that doesn't sounds flippant or insulting but if this has truly been mental and not physical, this might be the case. 
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #164 on: June 24, 2018, 06:20:51 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I have to think Philly or Boston would've been the best spots for him to be drafted, considering the fact that Brown or Stevens can at least fix his shot and instill confidence. If he went to a bottom feeding team, I don't think he would be riding the pine and losing any semblance of whatever confidence he has left.
He's very lucky he went to Philly.

If he were on a typical tanking team that spent the #1 pick on him the pressure would be so high.

In Philly they have 2 other young stars and are winning without him so there's less scrutiny
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.