Author Topic: Celtics (37-22) at Bulls (15-44) Game #60 2/23/19  (Read 31235 times)

Re: Celtics (37-22) at Bulls (15-44) Game #60 2/23/19
« Reply #390 on: February 23, 2019, 10:36:03 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
For whatever reason this team just doesn't switch on against "bad" teams. These are the teams we've lost to this season:

Code: [Select]
Opponent Total Current Record
Brooklyn Nets 1 31-30
Charlotte Hornets 1 27-31
Dallas Mavericks 1 26-32
Denver Nuggets 1 40-18
Detroit Pistons 1 28-30
Golden State Warriors 1 42-16
Houston Rockets 1 33-25
Indiana Pacers 1 40-20
Los Angeles Clippers 1 33-27
Los Angeles Lakers 1 29-30
Miami Heat 1 26-32
Milwaukee Bucks 2 44-14
New York Knicks 1 11-48
Orlando Magic 2 27-33
Phoenix Suns 1 11-50
Portland Trail Blazers 1 36-23
San Antonio Spurs 1 33-27
Toronto Raptors 1 44-16
Utah Jazz 2 32-16

Too many losses against losing/rebuilding teams there, and I'm counting the Clippers loss in there even though they have a positive record. This is 100% a motivation issue. They CAN play well we've seen it. For whatever reasons we're switching off when we feel the opposition is substandard. Nobody is taking accountability and playing hard. We can always point to career nights - Markannen 33, Lavine 40, Kemba 50 or whatever it was, the Lakers record # of 3s...the bottom line is these nights by these teams tend to happen against us.

I think these guys have mentally checked out in terms of trying to chase the No3 seed. They accept they'll be No4 or 5 come playoff time (shame we couldn't take advantage of Philly losing to Portland tonight) and they probably expect to be able to beat whoever it is they play because "they will be switched on and motivated" during playoffs. If it's Philly at 4 and us at 5, or Indiana at 4 and us at 5 we probably have a better than even money chance of beating them without home court but then in the second round against Mil or Tor its going to be tough.

If we want to get to the finals it's going to be the hard way, and I guess this team and the players are ok with that. They prefer to beat the tougher teams than the easier ones because the easier ones aren't worth their effort maybe.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #391 on: February 23, 2019, 10:36:58 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
https://twitter.com/ChrisForsberg_/status/1099512078140915712?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1099512078140915712&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

Brad Stevens: “I’ve said this before: I’m disappointed in myself. I’ve got to do a lot better."

Lol even Brad knows how much of a failure this season has been for him.

But, as has happened in several other games, this admission ultimately means nothing if he continues to fail to get through to this team and make these poor decisions. It's like the guy in the pick-up game that continuously yells "my bad!" but never does anything to address his issues.

« Reply #392 on: February 23, 2019, 10:37:17 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Tonight Robert Williams was needed on the court

Cbs doesnt give him a lick of time
needed to do what?  he wasn't going to guard Lavine or Markkannen and he wasn't going to stop those perimeter shots the Bulls were making.

What were you watching?

You know how many pts they got inside the paint?
yeah, 56 to the C's 52.  If you think Williams would have made that much of a difference, you're fooling yourself.  defending his man he's ok.  help D, he needs work.  Bulls didn't have anyone working the post where he could have really helped.  he'd likely have been out of position trying to help on drives where his man would have received a pass or offensive rebound

Williams presence would have made levine, markennen, lopez think twice

Once you have the inside game (bulls)

The outside game is also there

Celtics running around like headless chickens with no inside presence
fooling yourself.  a lot of their paint points were off fast breaks which Williams wouldn't have impacted.

bottom line, C's had better players on the court and they didn't perform at the level they should have.

Dude you dont know what you are talking about

You state 56 points in the paint

Yet you defend "how it was"

Hilarious

Ok sure
You really gotta stop acting as if you're the sole clear-thinker on this board man.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #393 on: February 23, 2019, 10:37:45 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I know so many love the guy but I think it's time to say that Smart needs to go back to the bench. Over the last five games he has been AWFUL.

7.5 points 3.5 rebounds 3.5 assists 2.4 TOs shooting 29.2/21.2/50 in 29 minutes

It's not much better over the last 10-14 games either. His shooting has been terrible.

And tonight, Smart has been as bad as Rozier

That's laughable.

Rozier is 1-9 for 3 pts, 3 rebs, 1 ast, and a -16 with his usual porous defense.

Smart is 2-3 for 6 pts, 6 rebs, 4 ast, 1 stl, and a -7 with solid defense (though not his usual elite defense)
Don't be fooled by Smart's last few minutes of the Fourth where he hit his two shots and had a rebound and an assist. When I started writing my post Smart had done nothing in the game and his defense was poor. Hell, he got his first foul with like 3 minutes left in the game. To me, that shows he was a bit more passive and not his usual bulldog self. And through most of 3 1/2 quarters it showed.

Sure, and even with all of that it still wasn't even close to who was hurting this team more out there. Rozier LITERALLY - not figuratively, mind you, LITERALLY - adds no value to this team when he's not scoring. For most of this year Rozier has been a net negative out  on the floor due to his inability to be a contributor in his role.
Okay maybe Rozier was superhumanly bad tonight but Smart sucked. His first 23-25 minutes on the floor he may as well have been napping on the court.

Yeah, Smart was pretty bad tonight. He was making these boneheaded passes including one where he wasn't even looking at who he was passing it to. Very unlike him. I don't know what to say......

« Reply #394 on: February 23, 2019, 10:38:26 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Or Ainge could've picked up Kanter for nothing. Instead he's sitting at home with his thumb up his ass while Aron Baynes is keeping the bench warm. I agreed with you that our interior game is non-existent. As the calendar is about to turn to March, we are looking at a 5th seed and a potential 1st round elimination in the playoffs. Would've never believed it.

I would have like that too as I think Kanter's emotionality might have lit a fire under this team.
But it would have meant late season changes, demotions, etc.....and using a player that doesn't fit our system that well, so they say.

Depth Chart: 
Baynes, Kanter, Horford, Theis
Horford, Theis, Morris
Tatum, Morris, Hayward
Brown, Hayward, Smart
Irving, Smart, Rozier, Wannamaker

« Reply #395 on: February 23, 2019, 10:41:01 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Or Ainge could've picked up Kanter for nothing. Instead he's sitting at home with his thumb up his ass while Aron Baynes is keeping the bench warm. I agreed with you that our interior game is non-existent. As the calendar is about to turn to March, we are looking at a 5th seed and a potential 1st round elimination in the playoffs. Would've never believed it.

I would have like that too as I think Kanter's emotionality might have lit a fire under this team.
But it would have meant late season changes, demotions, etc.....and using a player that doesn't fit our system that well, so they say.

Depth Chart: 
Horford, Theis, Morris
Tatum, Morris, Hayward
Brown, Hayward, Smart

There's an open roster spot after they dealt Jabari Bird. And what does "doesn't fit our system" mean? The system of getting your ass kicked by a lottery team? We need rebounding and Kanter would've provided it.

« Reply #396 on: February 23, 2019, 10:42:15 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
You guys that want Stevens yelling and screaming are hilarious. Do you really think the man doesn't get angry and that the team doesn't know when he is angry?

My old Sicilian grandmother was 4'11" and maybe weighed 100 pounds. She was ALWAYS smiling and happy. But if she got mad at you, all it took was that look, the one where the smile disappears, the eyebrows furrow a bit and her eyes widen as she stared at you.

There's ways when you know certain people are angry. I think the players know when Stevens is steaming and I am sure the players hear it off court behind doors

I'm always reluctant to make assumptions about whether players get angry or not at each other, or coaches yell at their players or not, because we don't know what goes on behind closed doors. We get mad watching the game and we wonder why the coaches, players, etc aren't mad. It's possible that they could be throwing stuff around inside the locker room and we would never know. A lot of times players, coaches, teams etc put their game face on and not show emotion I think.

Regardless of how Brad shows his displeasure, I do hope he is showing it, and including himself in it as well though. I don't care if he does it behind closed doors, in a way I prefer he does it behind closed doors. But something needs to jolt these guys out of the stupor they tend to fall into when they play mediocre teams.

« Reply #397 on: February 23, 2019, 10:44:33 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Depth Chart: 
Horford, Theis, Morris
Tatum, Morris, Hayward
Brown, Hayward, Smart

There's an open roster spot after they dealt Jabari Bird. And what does "doesn't fit our system" mean? The system of getting your ass kicked by a lottery team? We need rebounding and Kanter would've provided it.

Oh I hear ya I like my depth chart above...not to mention Baynes is still out.

« Reply #398 on: February 23, 2019, 10:44:54 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You guys that want Stevens yelling and screaming are hilarious. Do you really think the man doesn't get angry and that the team doesn't know when he is angry?

My old Sicilian grandmother was 4'11" and maybe weighed 100 pounds. She was ALWAYS smiling and happy. But if she got mad at you, all it took was that look, the one where the smile disappears, the eyebrows furrow a bit and her eyes widen as she stared at you.

There's ways when you know certain people are angry. I think the players know when Stevens is steaming and I am sure the players hear it off court behind doors

I'm sure they do. Their play on the court really screams that they respect Stevens so much and that he seriously holds them accountable.  [sarcasm]
Roll your eyes all you want. I am sure Stevens let's into these guys at some point. Stevens is a great coach. There isn't a great coach in all of sports who doesn't get mad at his players and really let's them have it when he is mad. Just because you do not see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Players have mentioned that when they get pulled for poor play and have to walk past Stevens on the way to the bench, that he quietly and angrily let's them know they screwed up.

« Reply #399 on: February 23, 2019, 10:46:40 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Jaylen Brown interview:

- "We let them get way too comfortable." - #Celtics Jaylen Brown on Zach LaVine (42 pts) and Lauri Markkanen (35 pts, 15 rebounds)."
- "They played like they wanted to win and we didn't play like we wanted to win."
- "Chicago played harder than us; that was it."

« Reply #400 on: February 23, 2019, 10:47:17 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Depth Chart: 
Horford, Theis, Morris
Tatum, Morris, Hayward
Brown, Hayward, Smart

Oh I hear ya I like my depth chart above...not to mention Baynes is still out.

I liked it too!

« Reply #401 on: February 23, 2019, 10:49:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
LOL ...even a cAveman can score 17 points on us ....SMH

« Reply #402 on: February 23, 2019, 10:49:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I'm always reluctant to make assumptions about whether players get angry or not at each other, or coaches yell at their players or not, because we don't know what goes on behind closed doors. We get mad watching the game and we wonder why the coaches, players, etc aren't mad. It's possible that they could be throwing stuff around inside the locker room and we would never know. A lot of times players, coaches, teams etc put their game face on and not show emotion I think.

Regardless of how Brad shows his displeasure, I do hope he is showing it, and including himself in it as well though. I don't care if he does it behind closed doors, in a way I prefer he does it behind closed doors. But something needs to jolt these guys out of the stupor they tend to fall into when they play mediocre teams.
Brad post game says he is definitely part of the problem as well. Good to hear.

« Reply #403 on: February 23, 2019, 10:51:00 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Jaylen Brown interview:

- "We let them get way too comfortable." - #Celtics Jaylen Brown on Zach LaVine (42 pts) and Lauri Markkanen (35 pts, 15 rebounds)."
- "They played like they wanted to win and we didn't play like we wanted to win."
- "Chicago played harder than us; that was it."
Can't disagree with any of that
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #404 on: February 23, 2019, 10:56:55 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14
At Toronto then Portland, Yikes even though this is a rock bottom low we could go lower!