Author Topic: 2014 Patriots Football  (Read 48684 times)

Re: 2014 Patriots Football
« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2014, 04:54:23 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Don't you get the impression that, when you watch the Pats play, their personality resembles their press conferences? When speaking with the the media, the players make sure to never show emotion, never deviate from the company line. On the field, the offense is sluggish and methodical. the defense is always hanging back, not willing to ever get out of position to attack on a play, lest they get blamed for missing a big play down the field. They look timid, afraid to make mistakes, afraid to be extroverted. It's basically the opposite of the mentality of the Seahawks, Niners, Ravens, Steelers, or even the Jets team that toppled the Patriots a few years ago.
Belichick inherited a team from Bill Parcells and Pete Carroll that had defensive players who knew how to react. Belichick knew how to arrange those pieces on the field, and the players did the rest, and they made him look great. But now, Belichick has drafted these "coachable" players, and these young guys fear their coach in a way the veterans didn't, and they seem to be trained to play cautiously. And you can't win in this league doing that.

Totally agree that this team is sluggish. Probably why it was so noticeable to me last night when Garoppolo came in and the team suddenly had energy. It's one thing to be professional, win or lose; it's another to see no emotion other than Brady yelling at himself and others.

I certainly can't argue that "the Patriot Way" has been, on the whole, unsuccessful, and I'm not eager to see the end of Brady's career, but yeah, with all these young guys now, everyone just seems to defer to the Belichick & Brady way of doing things—calm, corporate, "we'll eventually figure this out"—except that the last several years they haven't eventually figured it out, as evidenced by the lack of rings.

Their next game should be quite telling: Are they going to stick with the same-old, same-old, or are they going to try something a bit different to knock some life back into the team?
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2014, 06:59:45 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
A lot of dumb stuff here.
People who blame Brady don't understand football.

Speaking for myself, I blame plenty of things besides Brady, but I also see Brady as being partially at fault. Has he looked good to you? And I'm not talking about his stats, or how he's been hurt by inferior receivers; I mean Brady himself, his accuracy, the strength of his passes. To me, he just seems off, and it's not an issue of mechanics; I really think he's slowing down, considerably, before our very eyes.
This was evident last season too, people just insisted on blaming the receivers.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2014, 08:37:36 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
NICE!

Brady's got his big boy pants on!
Yup

« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2014, 10:32:36 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Do we have replacement referees tonight or something? They've looked horrible in both directions.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2014, 10:39:44 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
All the stuff people said about the Pats this week? They heard that.

« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2014, 10:45:06 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Good. People should say that stuff every week.

« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2014, 10:53:37 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Angry motivation is the best kind of motivation.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #142 on: October 05, 2014, 11:18:16 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
anyone see the Lebron Macdonalds commercial that ran a bunch of times tonight on the Pats game? Wow, he looks so much smaller than last year. Hmmm......Wonder why ?

« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2014, 11:42:03 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
anyone see the Lebron Macdonalds commercial that ran a bunch of times tonight on the Pats game? Wow, he looks so much smaller than last year. Hmmm......Wonder why ?

By eating good ol' Mickey D's of course!  ;D

Sully tried to get on the same diet plan, but he didn't order the 10 diet big macs.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 11:50:27 PM by GetLucky »

« Reply #144 on: October 06, 2014, 09:48:40 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Yep. And responded. Such a nice breath of fresh New England air. I'm looking forward to more of the same vs Buffalo.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #145 on: October 06, 2014, 09:54:05 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Has to be a very satisfying win for the Pats after the week they had in the local & national media.

Guess the Bart Scotts, Tom Jacksons, and Trent Dilfers of the world jumped the gun a bit about this Patriots team being done.    Stupid NFL pundits.  These guys never learn. National media was salivating at the prospect of the Pats finally being done and everyone and their mother jumped on and tried to bury them this past week.  Definitely some crow to be eaten.

I have no idea what the long term prognosis for this team is going forward.  I still think they have plenty of issues to sort out.  (pass protection, receivers gaining space, penalties, and pass defense) but they should still be able to take down the AFC East. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #146 on: October 06, 2014, 10:13:18 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I love the two tight end sets they were running last night that started as protection for Brady and to open up more holes for the running game and morphed into seam routes and TE screens ourt if play action. Getting the second TE catching balls stops all the over the top double coverage on Gronk and stops the LBs from crashing the line of scrimmage to plug holes during the run.

Also the use of Ridley as a between the tackle runner almost exclusively while using Vereen for draws and delay counter direction runs was brilliant and worked to perfection. The offensive pace was perfect for this team as well as.

Offensive game plan worked to perfection. Defensively they were pretty excellent for like the 3rd and a half game. I also love the aggressiveness of the DBs. Sooner or later they are going to get refs to stop calling the ticky tack touch fouls after the 5 yard past the line of scrimmage area and will start to dominate the way Seattle's defensive secondary did last year.

Anyone still want to claim Brady is losing it and can't throw a ball downfield anymore?

« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2014, 10:16:51 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Anyone still want to claim Brady is losing it and can't throw a ball downfield anymore?
I will. But I didn't watch last night's game.  ;D
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #148 on: October 06, 2014, 10:21:51 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Last night I thought they started sharp but missed a lot of offense in the passing game. Good thing running game was solid.  D was okay still feel they need more QB pressure and LBS as well as safeties should be quicker to the ball. Not a good team at this time but they have some time before playoffs to improve things.

« Reply #149 on: October 06, 2014, 01:34:39 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Last night I thought they started sharp but missed a lot of offense in the passing game. Good thing running game was solid.  D was okay still feel they need more QB pressure and LBS as well as safeties should be quicker to the ball. Not a good team at this time but they have some time before playoffs to improve things.

I'm not that concerned about the QB pressure when it comes to the Bengals, as Dalton is known at being pretty good at getting the ball out quickly. Also, keep in mind that Chandler Jones barely played last night bc of injury. In short, I think D is fine.

The offense is still very much a work in progress -- need to see continued improvement from the O Line, and need to see WRs doing a better job.

Finally, the penalties were being racked up at a horrifying rate last night. Would have been first downs turned into long 3rd downs. A punt that would have pinned the Bengals at the 1 yard line but instead penalties put the Bengals around the 20 yard line, etc.
Celtics fan for life.