Author Topic: Javonte Green vs Max Strus  (Read 13293 times)

Re: Jamonte Green vs Max Strus
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2019, 11:29:55 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
It looks like it’s going to be Green.

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2019/10/boston-celtics-rumors-2019-javonte-green-likely-to-earn-last-roster-spot-over-max-strus-report.html

Yay! Green seems like he has a better motor and is more willing to get his hands dirty, which could change the complexion of a game even in short minutes. Meanwhile, we already have a bunch of shoot-first guys like Strus.

Green may already be at his ceiling at 26 but who cares? It’s not like we’re hoping he becomes our future. At some point, you can only develop so many guys and I’m perfectly happy having some high energy role players on our bench.
- LilRip

« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2019, 11:33:26 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm fine with Javonte.  Seems like he has an NBA level of physical ability, not clear he has a position offensively, not sure how good he is at team defense.

But with a 15th man you really just want a guy who can come in during garbage time and maintain energy, or a guy who can play spot minutes in case of injury and add something to the mix despite whatever major flaws he has.

Javonte seems like he could be that kind of guy, which is fine.

From an upside perspective he could be better than Semi Ojeleye, if he turns out to be a competent team defender.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2019, 12:49:07 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
So Strus is getting free money. Nice!
It was probably planned and he got the money to soften the bad news.

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2019, 12:55:17 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Strus in d-league is probably best. He didn't show enough in the games. He could still develop and be a NBA player.

« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2019, 12:57:47 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Seems like the Cs jumped the gun with the initial two-way given to Strus right after the draft. It was a bit perplexing then and even more so now as they are basically forced to pay him the minimum in order to not look bad to agents and players in the future.

Anyway, I am happy with the decision. Green was eye-popping from the moment he stepped on the court in Vegas and he has shown a motor, athleticism, and some NBA-level skills in each outing since then. I am always happy to see guys like Green - who have worked extremely hard - finally achieve the dream of making it to the NBA.

This may be a little premature (since nothing is official yet), but Congratulations Javonte!! Now, can we at least get his name spelled correctly in the thread title?  :P

« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2019, 01:12:20 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Seems like the Cs jumped the gun with the initial two-way given to Strus right after the draft. It was a bit perplexing then and even more so now as they are basically forced to pay him the minimum in order to not look bad to agents and players in the future.

Anyway, I am happy with the decision. Green was eye-popping from the moment he stepped on the court in Vegas and he has shown a motor, athleticism, and some NBA-level skills in each outing since then. I am always happy to see guys like Green - who have worked extremely hard - finally achieve the dream of making it to the NBA.

This may be a little premature (since nothing is official yet), but Congratulations Javonte!! Now, can we at least get his name spelled correctly in the thread title? [\b] :P

Hahaha I opened this thread intending to make the exact same request.  It has been bugging me for a while, but I prefer not to make waves. TP

« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2019, 01:25:41 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Carson is so much more than EH ever was, minus the years of experience.  EH was not a good defender, rebounder  or playmaker.  While CE isn't much of a playmaker either, he is a good defender and rebounder for his size.  He is also a great finisher.  When defenses start playing up on him to stop his shot, you will see his ability to slash.

« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2019, 01:40:12 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Strus in d-league is probably best. He didn't show enough in the games. He could still develop and be a NBA player.

Unfortunately it won't be the Red Claws. There is a rule in place that prevents players from playing for an NBA team's G-League affiliate if they are guaranteed more than $50K from that NBA team. I guess this makes sense as teams could otherwise offer whatever they wanted to just keep that player around in an unofficial capacity.

Let's all wish Max well in his future endeavors and be jealous that he got paid not to play basketball.

Re: Javonte Green vs Max Strus
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2019, 03:35:38 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Does signing Green signal that the team does not have confidence Langford can be a contributor this year?

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2019, 03:44:25 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Does signing Green signal that the team does not have confidence Langford can be a contributor this year?

No.  Just signals that they’re using up all their roster spots, and as they’ll have 2-3 wings on the floor at any given time, having another one is useful.

Mind you, I don’t expect any significant Langford contribution this year, but the presence or absence of Green is not really related.

« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2019, 04:54:52 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Anyone know what the contract is?

« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2019, 05:02:50 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Anyone know what the contract is?

Green’s contract? He’s at the minimum, making $100k guaranteed this year.  He can be released before early January (forget the exact date, but it’s specified in the CBA) and the Celtics will owe him no more than the greater of $100k or what they’ve paid him on pro-rated rate of the rookie minimum.  It’s a two-year deal, with no guarantee next year.

Strus has the same deal with a greater guarantee.

« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2019, 05:32:28 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16

Unfortunately it won't be the Red Claws. There is a rule in place that prevents players from playing for an NBA team's G-League affiliate if they are guaranteed more than $50K from that NBA team. I guess this makes sense as teams could otherwise offer whatever they wanted to just keep that player around in an unofficial capacity.

Let's all wish Max well in his future endeavors and be jealous that he got paid not to play basketball.

Should Tacko or Waters receive a promotion this year I think Strus could be re-signed to a two way. I like Strus' potential as a floor spreader

« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2019, 05:41:40 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Should Tacko or Waters receive a promotion this year I think Strus could be re-signed to a two way. I like Strus' potential as a floor spreader

No, the amount of Strus’ guarantee from the Celtics makes him ineligible for a two-way this season with the team.

« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2019, 06:25:39 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Max Strus set Green up with a touch pass and then gave him a perfect pass for a wide open  three -unselfish plays with team first mentality.