Author Topic: Javonte Green vs Max Strus  (Read 13533 times)

Re: Jamonte Green vs Max Strus
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 05:47:08 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
How does Waters compare to Larkin?  I think a little more green than 2017 Larkin, not as athletic, but a more natural basketball player.   I think he will surpass 2017 Larkin in a year or two.

Reminds me a lot of Larkin, but he's a much more assured pick and roll operator and a far more polished scorer.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2019, 06:50:59 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233

I went back watched his college tapes and then summer league .Give Max Strus a year picking up the tricks coming off screens and timing .He plays much more in control than Carson Edwards.
Strus actually has really flown under the radar and still doesn't get much press.
Have not focused on his defence .Does he move laterally well?, How about getting over screens?
And he looks solid has he got deceptive strength?
Playing basketball full time, I think we will see an even more polished player running his routes.

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2019, 07:22:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
How does Waters compare to Larkin?  I think a little more green than 2017 Larkin, not as athletic, but a more natural basketball player.   I think he will surpass 2017 Larkin in a year or two.

Reminds me a lot of Larkin, but he's a much more assured pick and roll operator and a far more polished scorer.

when i watch Waters , i can't help but think of Larkin.   I loved what Larkin could do cold off,the bench in short spurts.   He entered when the other teams legs were giving out and generally the passing , pace, ball movement increased dramatically....a shot of steroids for our team when things weren't going right or our guys were sleeping at the wheel.   Larkin had way more NBa under his belt experience
than Waters for now .  But i can see Waters probing , pushing providing the same energy .   I love Edwards and Waters ....two intense athletic littles that will have Bron bending over grabing his shorts .

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2019, 07:36:01 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Assured is a good way to describe Waters. Always seems in control
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2019, 08:27:25 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Once you study Waters a bit more (pretty obvious to me you have not), I'd be happy to discuss his skill set with you.  Your reference to him as a ball hog gave me an even bigger laugh. 

Really because some people agreed with it.   Also, I sometimes scout for local teams, and played in college.    I am pretty confident in my basketball knowledge.  Edwards is a better shooter, Water has a great handle but he is only shooting .20% from the three.  He passes the ball roughly every 4th shot as he does have 3 APG but we need less chucking and more point guard stuff from him.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/preseason/team/Boston-Celtics/2/stats

If what you say about him being the best guard is true, why is he literally the last guard to enter the game after Smart and Edwards.   Your the sole person on the planet who thinks he is better than Edwards.  Who is also a rookie guard, and we all know Romeo was a top five player in his class, though he does seem snake bit.   Fact of the matter, he is our third best guard not first as you say.  I don't think Waters is trash but you have him a pedestal as top rookie guard is ludicrous and completely and utterly silly.

Larkin was a way better athlete folks and a better shooter.

Larkin measured is some of the most impressive athletic test results of the Combine... highest max vert, lane agility, and 14 bench reps.

Larkin's 44-inch max vertical leap was the highest of any player at the combine. In fact, he was top in two of the six primary drills and among the top 10 in four drills overall.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1643693-shane-larkins-athletic-display-supports-his-decision-to-go-pro

Waters is athletic but not like Shane.

Vertical Leap: 40.5″

https://draftvalue.com/2019/05/22/tremont-waters-draft-profile/

I see Waters as a change of pace guard, who could really push the ball.   But his shooting has a ways to go until he can heat it up like Shane who shot it roughly 10+% higher .  Sometimes is takes time to adjust to the pro three point line.   

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2019, 09:50:52 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Once you study Waters a bit more (pretty obvious to me you have not), I'd be happy to discuss his skill set with you.  Your reference to him as a ball hog gave me an even bigger laugh. 

Really because some people agreed with it.   Also, I sometimes scout for local teams, and played in college.    I am pretty confident in my basketball knowledge.  Edwards is a better shooter, Water has a great handle but he is only shooting .20% from the three.  He passes the ball roughly every 4th shot as he does have 3 APG but we need less chucking and more point guard stuff from him.

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/preseason/team/Boston-Celtics/2/stats

If what you say about him being the best guard is true, why is he literally the last guard to enter the game after Smart and Edwards.   Your the sole person on the planet who thinks he is better than Edwards.  Who is also a rookie guard, and we all know Romeo was a top five player in his class, though he does seem snake bit.   Fact of the matter, he is our third best guard not first as you say.  I don't think Waters is trash but you have him a pedestal as top rookie guard is ludicrous and completely and utterly silly.

Larkin was a way better athlete folks and a better shooter.

Larkin measured is some of the most impressive athletic test results of the Combine... highest max vert, lane agility, and 14 bench reps.

Larkin's 44-inch max vertical leap was the highest of any player at the combine. In fact, he was top in two of the six primary drills and among the top 10 in four drills overall.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1643693-shane-larkins-athletic-display-supports-his-decision-to-go-pro

Waters is athletic but not like Shane.

Vertical Leap: 40.5″

https://draftvalue.com/2019/05/22/tremont-waters-draft-profile/

I see Waters as a change of pace guard, who could really push the ball.   But his shooting has a ways to go until he can heat it up like Shane who shot it roughly 10+% higher .  Sometimes is takes time to adjust to the pro three point line.

I played in college too.  But that is irrelevant to our discussion.  I'm quite confident in my basketball knowledge as well. 

What I said is that Waters was the best basketball player among the guys we drafted. Obviously he dropped to a late 2nd round pick because of his size, or lack thereof.

But that doesn't deter Ainge.  Which is why he selected Edwards and Waters despite both being under 6' tall. 

Which is why he traded for Isaiah Thomas, and signed Kemba to a max.

I agree that Edwards is a better scorer.  But shooting is just one component of being a great all around player.  Waters, in my view, has great court sense, feel for the game's tempo. He clearly has the best handle.  Much better than Edwards.  He makes good decisions. Probably a better defender than Edwards.

The sample size is too small to determine whether or not he can be a good 3 point shooter.  I just think the kid is a really good player. 

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2019, 06:35:56 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
What I said is that Waters was the best basketball player among the guys we drafted

That simply is not true.

I just think the kid is a really good player. 

I think he can play too, but I don't think he is as good Edwards and we have yet to see what Romeo can do.    I do think he will be our second string point guard before the season is up and that we should cut Wannamaker because we do not need him with Smart, Edwards and Edwards in the fold.

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2019, 07:59:25 AM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
Think we should waive Wannamaker and sign JGreen.  We have plenty of ballhandlers.  With Kemba probably playing 35 minutes a game, we really won't need another pure point guard anyway, unless there's an injury to Kemba.  Smart can fill that role capably if need be.  Edwards and Hayward also can do it for short times.
If Kemba went down for a long time, we can always bring Waters up, or even sign him to a standard contract and then cut someone else, like Green.  Waters is the second best pure point guard on this team!

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2019, 08:42:13 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I think Strus will get it. At 15, you're looking at potential to become a rotation player. Strus has a skill we will need around our core.

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2019, 12:17:59 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
Think we should waive Wannamaker and sign JGreen.  We have plenty of ballhandlers.  With Kemba probably playing 35 minutes a game, we really won't need another pure point guard anyway, unless there's an injury to Kemba.  Smart can fill that role capably if need be.  Edwards and Hayward also can do it for short times.
If Kemba went down for a long time, we can always bring Waters up, or even sign him to a standard contract and then cut someone else, like Green.  Waters is the second best pure point guard on this team!

Totally agree....both Green and Strus offer unique skills. Wanamaker is a jack of all trades master of none.

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2019, 12:45:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Ainge won't be wasting $1.4 million by waiving a proven and consistent professional back up PG to keep a 26 year old with no upside that has never played in the NBA that happens to play a position the team is loaded at...the wing.

Strus and Green are basically G League quality players. Everyone is getting excited because they played a couple good games against God awful, end of bench scrubs or camp only invitees on 3 bad teams.

Wanamaker has proven to be consistent and effective against real NBA talent in real NBA games. He will be on the roster. He's not losing his roster spot to either Strus, Waters, Tacko or Green. It's way more likely those 4 players are the in the Maine Lobsters' starting lineup on opening night than on the Celtics active 13 man roster on opening night.

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2019, 01:39:57 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Wannamaker, Ojeleye, and Poierer are all guys that i would like to see traded or released to make room for younger players.

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2019, 03:19:19 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
I think Strus will get it. At 15, you're looking at potential to become a rotation player. Strus has a skill we will need around our core.

And it’s the kind of skill Herro has, if Danny really was that high on him, Strus is a Herro light.

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2019, 05:39:51 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
Ainge won't be wasting $1.4 million by waiving a proven and consistent professional back up PG to keep a 26 year old with no upside that has never played in the NBA that happens to play a position the team is loaded at...the wing.

Strus and Green are basically G League quality players. Everyone is getting excited because they played a couple good games against God awful, end of bench scrubs or camp only invitees on 3 bad teams.

Wanamaker has proven to be consistent and effective against real NBA talent in real NBA games. He will be on the roster. He's not losing his roster spot to either Strus, Waters, Tacko or Green. It's way more likely those 4 players are the in the Maine Lobsters' starting lineup on opening night than on the Celtics active 13 man roster on opening night.

I've been carefully observing Green's contribution to the game. I noticed that he does an awful lot of little things that the casual observer might miss or might not show up on the stat sheet.

And, he's constantly doing these small things that change the dynamics of the game. Sometimes he deflects a pass, another he makes a steal, leads a fast break, etc. etc.

I wish they had a highlight video demonstrating how each of his actions effectively change the flow of the action.

He has far more court savvy than most players. He would fit in with the first, second or 3rd units with ease. He's totally selfless.

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2019, 05:50:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I've been carefully observing Green's contribution to the game. I noticed that he does an awful lot of little things that the casual observer might miss or might not show up on the stat sheet.

And, he's constantly doing these small things that change the dynamics of the game. Sometimes he deflects a pass, another he makes a steal, leads a fast break, etc. etc.

I wish they had a highlight video demonstrating how each of his actions effectively change the flow of the action.

He has far more court savvy than most players. He would fit in with the first, second or 3rd units with ease. He's totally selfless.
And he will still not play well enough to cause Danny to waste $1.4 million. He is ridiculously redundant and his performances have, for the most part come against G League level players. He will not be replacing Wanamaker. If anything, he would take Struss' place but given Struss got that 2nd year unguaranteed, he most likely stays. That second year becomes great trade fodder next off-season.

I predict Green gets tons of run tonight then gets quickly released so that he has lots of time to possibly find somewhere else to get a roster spot. That's the Ainge I know.