Author Topic: Would you trade Tatum for Zion Williamson?  (Read 5501 times)

Re: Would you trade Tatum for Zion Williamson?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2019, 12:10:34 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Just for size and strength comparisons, isn't Zion basically the same size with comparable strength to Yabusele?
No Zion is a lot more muscle and less fat. Also speed and leaping isn't close. I'd also say body control is much more in favor of Zion. The weight number and height is all that is similar. Zion is closer to Anthony Bennett than Yab.

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2019, 12:17:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just for size and strength comparisons, isn't Zion basically the same size with comparable strength to Yabusele?
No Zion is a lot more muscle and less fat. Also speed and leaping isn't close. I'd also say body control is much more in favor of Zion. The weight number and height is all that is similar. Zion is closer to Anthony Bennett than Yab.
Yeah, I wasn't comparing athleticism, just size and possibly strength.

I think where Zion will struggle at first is dealing with the strength and height and length of pro inside players. Especially length. He won't be able to back down a lot of NBA big men and many will have the length to bother his inside shots.

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2019, 01:11:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Yes but quicker, more explosive and higher skill level

Zion is like the fast twitch version

« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2019, 01:33:18 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I think where Zion will struggle at first is dealing with the strength and height and length of pro inside players. Especially length. He won't be able to back down a lot of NBA big men and many will have the length to bother his inside shots.
I agree he will likely struggle at first.

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2019, 01:41:53 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136

Yabusele is basically Zion after a year of eating Burgers, and Fries.

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2019, 02:00:11 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Ya I don't think he is gonna struggle with strength at all. he's 280 pounds, he we be literally one of the heaviest NBA players from day 1. Length may give his some problems sure, but unlike guys who it does sometimes bother such as Yabu, Sullinger ect, he will be like the top 1% of nba athletes. He may not be a great shooter, but he's not a non shooter or bad shooter like Giannis or Simmons. Guy will be good.

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2019, 02:07:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Yabu actually is not Sully fat

But it may help if he lost a few pounds

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2019, 11:25:19 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Lol yeah, Yabusele has got a little junk in the trunk.

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2019, 05:25:42 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
No way. Zion doesn’t have the perimeter shooting to be a big time player in the nba right away. He won’t be able to dominate inside in the pros like he does in college. His game isn’t well suited to the nba.
I think this is a short-sighted criticism, considering the number of stars in the NBA today who are positional nightmares due to their athleticism, yet can't shoot from 3.

Such as?

How about Giannis, Ben Simmons, and Russell Westbrook. Early career Blake Griffin.

(Russ, incredibly, is at 28.8% from 3 and *still* takes 5.4 a game.)

That's kind of interesting.  You just named 4 guys who are all averaging over 5 assists a game.  I wonder if Zion will turn into a ball handler and passer?

He's currently averaging 2.1 assists per game in college (not bad).

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2019, 05:40:44 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Probably, but the athleticism isn’t just better, it’s elite. That size and strength coupled with possibly epic athleticism is scary. If he has the work ethic to work on his shooting, court-vision, and defense... he will be a beast.

I’m not sure what his floor is, but his ceiling has to be MVP if he puts it all together.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2019, 06:12:58 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I am not trading Tatum unless we are getting a sure thing back.  I am not convinced Zion is a sure thing.  Yeah Tatum has struggled lately, but Tatum has already proven that he can be a top 3 player on a high level playoff team.  Zion has proven that he can dominate college guys, he can dunk well, but we still don't know if he has a decent 3 point shot he has only hit 17 3 point shots the whole year.

If this was 1985 maybe I would do it.  Charles Barkley had a great career back then as something simlar.  But the way things are TODAY in the NBA you need your 4 man to be able to stretch the floor.  If zion can't do that, I am not sure where he is going to end up.  He doesn't seem like he has the ball skills to be a wing, and he isn't tall enough to defend the 7 foot centers.

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2019, 06:20:08 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
He reminds me a bit of Barkley - NBA Barkley, not the 300+ lb version who played at Auburn. And Barkley was one of the top players in the league for years.  Granted a different era but I'd take him. Trading him for Tatum though, that's a tough one.

Its hard because when you watch Tatum all the time you see his flaws.  Haven't watched Zion enough to be able to judge, but just off what I've seen so far, I think Zion has a higher NBA ceiling.  Key might be whether he can become a good 3 pt shooter.

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2019, 07:03:04 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
A young pro Barkley is the closest thing we've seen, but he's more of everything that made Barkley special. He's bigger than Barkley was. Barkley could really motor up the floor, but Zion is faster and is point guard quick laterally. He jumps even higher and more importantly, he jumps more quickly than just about anyone. He rips through the smallest seam in the defense, and he's got vise grip hands. His moves are super fluid and concise, and he makes very quick decisions. He has an amazing motor.

When you watch him, everyone else looks like they are moving in slow motion. The old NBA that Barkley played in allowed for massive centers and beefy power forwards. The modern NBA is obsessed with spacing and shooting. I don't know how anyone is going to contain him. As long as he doesn't get hurt, he's going to be very similar to Giannis in his impact.

It would be ridiculous not to give up Tatum for him.

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2019, 08:48:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
A young pro Barkley is the closest thing we've seen, but he's more of everything that made Barkley special. He's bigger than Barkley was. Barkley could really motor up the floor, but Zion is faster and is point guard quick laterally. He jumps even higher and more importantly, he jumps more quickly than just about anyone. He rips through the smallest seam in the defense, and he's got vise grip hands. His moves are super fluid and concise, and he makes very quick decisions. He has an amazing motor.

When you watch him, everyone else looks like they are moving in slow motion. The old NBA that Barkley played in allowed for massive centers and beefy power forwards. The modern NBA is obsessed with spacing and shooting. I don't know how anyone is going to contain him. As long as he doesn't get hurt, he's going to be very similar to Giannis in his impact.

Bigger but Barkley had like a ridiculous 7'6 wingspan

Makes a big diff

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2019, 09:34:20 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Bigger but Barkley had like a ridiculous 7'6 wingspan

Makes a big diff
Didn't Chuck only have a 8'10" standing reach? Wouldn't that put his wingspan closer to 6'10"-7'?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)