Author Topic: What is your ideal and realistic team next season?  (Read 30177 times)

Re: What is your ideal and realistic team next season?
« Reply #240 on: June 23, 2019, 04:01:59 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Modified version

First renounce Horford/Irving/Morris/Rozier/Gibson/Larkin/Hunter. Trade Yabusele away for cap space (if needed give up a second round pick). We then have 11 players that count against the cap and I offer 2 players offer sheets (Randle and Bryant).

If my calculations are correct that will leave us with exactly 35 million in capspace. I want to use that money to improve our frontcourt. I'd sign Julius Randle for 80/4 (20 million a year). With 15 million left, I would make an offer for Thomas Bryant. Even though (thanks to the Gilbert Arenas provision) the Wizards are allowed to match any offer, I would make it as hard as possible for them.

Since (most of) our cap space won't go over to next year, due to probable extension/cap hold for Jaylen Brown, I would use all of it. That contract would like this: 9,25 - 9,71 - 20,00 - 20,90  (that's: 14,97 annually). Hopefully the Wizards would find that too risky to match with Wall and Beal as (potential) big deals already on the payroll.

You could argue that's an overpay (and you're right) and very risky for the Celtics as well, but it's affordable because Hayward's contract ends when Tatum extension and Bryants increase start. Willie Cauley-Stein is a cheaper option and easier to sign. I find Bryant already better, is much younger and has potential to get a lot better.

I want to resign Wanamaker, Theis and Dozier for small deals. We need an experienced back-up point guard on our team, and Wanamaker did quite well this year (offer 1+1, age already 30). Theis has shown to be at least a good 3rd string center (I'd offer him a 2+2 contract). I'd like to give Dozier a chance to prove himself this year. One roster spot left and I give that to Jontay Porter, see if he can recover from his ACL. Then (hopefully) the roster looks like this:

PG: Marcus Smart / Brad Wanamaker / Carsen Edwards
SG: Jaylen Brown / Romeo Langford / PJ Dozier
SF: Jayson Tatum / Gordon Hayward / Semi Ojeleye
PF: Julius Randle / Grant Williams / Jontay Porter
C: Thomas Bryant / Daniel Theis / Robert Williams

« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 07:31:14 AM by RodyTur10 »