Poll

On a scale of 1-10 how much would you love to see Euroleague ball with NBA stars

1 - hate it. Worst possible outcome
4 (9.3%)
2 - strongly dislike it. It's not right I say
0 (0%)
3 Dislike it. The time change yadda yadda
0 (0%)
4 Mildly dislike it - It's weird. Something doesn't feel right
1 (2.3%)
5 No real opinion. Wait and see. I'll take the good with the bad
6 (14%)
6 Mildly like - Interesting novelty. Worth a look, but I don't want it more than a year
8 (18.6%)
7 Like it. Will be interesting for a long time
7 (16.3%)
8 Like it a lot. I don't care about the time change.
2 (4.7%)
9 Love it. The game is finally global! It's like outsourcing in reverse. Lebron losing in yet another league is priceless.
3 (7%)
10 Best possible outcome. I love it on every conceivable level from sticking it to owners to seeing how the game evolves. It will be epic
12 (27.9%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Poll: How much would you love to see Euroleague ball with NBA stars on tv?  (Read 16258 times)

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
What I really want to see is some of the best players do a barnstorm tour, playing in high school and college arenas and raising money for needy public schools. 
I'd be absolutely amazed if players today risked injury for such a thing.

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
10 for one reason.   Games are called 100 times better over there.

It'd be great to watch, but sad for America.  There's a reason NBA champions are world champions.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

It'd be great to watch, but sad for America.  There's a reason NBA champions are world champions.
I personally think several Olympic results have proven this wrong actually. That's part of the reason I like this.

How awesome would it be if Lebron averaged 10ppg in an Italian league?

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

I personally think several Olympic results have proven this wrong actually. That's part of the reason I like this.

Of course it would be awesome, but the only way it would be possible is if the games are 8 minutes long. He, and other great NBA players, would destroy these leagues. They have good players, but not NBA-quality talent. Maybe each team has a guy or three, but the lack of quality depth will be severely exploited.

I'd like to see them start signing agreements to put some pressure on the owners to let up a little. Does Prokorov really want to see DWill blow out his knee? Does OKC wanna see Durant rupture his Achilles? Or Minnesota see Love break his ankle?

But I really don't care if they play there or not. Maybe I'd watch a few games, but I'll be waiting for the NBA for my fix.
CELTICS 2024

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Of course it would be awesome, but the only way it would be possible is if the games are 8 minutes long. He, and other great NBA players, would destroy these leagues. They have good players, but not NBA-quality talent. Maybe each team has a guy or three, but the lack of quality depth will be severely exploited.

I'd like to see them start signing agreements to put some pressure on the owners to let up a little. Does Prokorov really want to see DWill blow out his knee? Does OKC wanna see Durant rupture his Achilles? Or Minnesota see Love break his ankle?

But I really don't care if they play there or not. Maybe I'd watch a few games, but I'll be waiting for the NBA for my fix.
Not necessarily. Brandon Jennings didn't do well there, then did very well in the NBA.  You never know.

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!
any nba playa play over seas..

stay there!!!!

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
any nba playa play over seas..

stay there!!!!
careful what thee wish for?

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5349
  • Thumper of the BASS!

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
Not so much...
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Not so much...

Agree...Although it might be refreshing if the games were actually officiated evenly.

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I just had a terrible thought!  Do you suppose this is part of Stern's plot to Globalize the NBA?

(just joking, I hope)
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I just had a terrible thought!  Do you suppose this is part of Stern's plot to Globalize the NBA?

(just joking, I hope)

I don't think its part of his plot.  But I think he is certainly not against it.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder what the downside is for the owners in this. 

According to a tweet by Larry Coon, if a player gets injured in Europe, and it causes them to not be able to play in the NBA when he returns, they can void the contract. 

We already know that guys are generally taking significant paycuts to play in Europe, so its not really helping their negotiating position.

And the owners essentially get to promote their players globally for free.  So when say, Deron Williams returns to the Nets, there is a good chance that Jersey sales and viewership in Turkey will be significantly higher than had he just sat around in the US.

Plus, if these guys are playing ball in Europe, they are not sitting around, getting fat (or arrested) in the US.  They are working on their games, and perhaps even picking up some new tricks.

I am sure Stern is loving this, because the Euro promotion is his baby, but the owners are likely not far behind. 

Offline 17wasEZ

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
I dont really care what the players do, its their decision, but id much rather see NBA ball than Euroleague with a few scattered players here and there.

Agreed.  Btw, I'm a Celtic fan 1st and a basketball fan 2nd.  College basketball would do the trick for me if the NBA doesn't have a season.
We all think we know more than we really do....

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

The messiah would average 10ppg in the Italian league if they played four 4th quarters per game.

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

(just joking, I hope)
He's not that smart. He's been more lucky than smart over the long haul