Author Topic: Hot Take Celtics are much deeper at Wing  (Read 6777 times)

Hot Take Celtics are much deeper at Wing
« on: October 24, 2023, 03:59:09 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Correct me if I'm Wrong,  but we're Sam Hauser and Justin  Champignie and Justin Jackson the only back up wings last year.

I consider Grant a big that can hit a three and guard some stronger wings but he's certainly not a typical wing defender.

Brad has suddenly went Wing shopping Ala Danny Ainge except he got a six piece of assorted flavors on a budget.

Hauser, Svi, Brissett,  Lamar Stevens,  Blanton,  And Jordan Walsh. Brad just flooded the team with 6'5" to 6'8" quick footed wings with a few of them.having seven foot wingspan.

I'm not saying it's the greatest collection of role players,  but having six options,  and six fouls , and a few shooters to choose from and a few very capable defenders should bode well for Joe and the Celtics. 

Should be able to rest the Jay's a little more this year.

Re: Hot Take Celtics are much deeper at Wing
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2023, 06:10:53 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
More wings doesn't mean they are any good
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2023, 07:20:46 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 886
In economics they call it the point of diminishing returns. I like this group better than last season’s but there are not minutes for all of them. Rather swap one spot for a bench big/PF.

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2023, 07:32:26 AM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2498

They don't have to be good to be better than last year.

Brissett looks like a solid defender with physicality. Svi looks like he can shoot, and move his feet a little on defense too.

Even if these guys are 1-tool players they're an improvement over Champagnie and Jackson. They look like guys we can put out there with the starters and they won't completely embarrass themselves if they stick to their roles.

I won't be shocked if somebody steps up and surpasses Hauser in the depth chart.

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2023, 07:36:08 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar

Brissett looks like a solid defender with physicality. Svi looks like he can shoot, and move his feet a little on defense too.

Even if these guys are 1-tool players they're an improvement over Champagnie and Jackson. They look like guys we can put out there with the starters and they won't completely embarrass themselves if they stick to their roles.

I won't be shocked if somebody steps up and surpasses Hauser in the depth chart.
If we stay healthy they don't even have to be better than last year. Not that this is very likely, mind.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2023, 07:50:04 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991

Yep.  Champagnie and Jackson are worse than probably every single wing we have on the roster this year; and Hauser in his second full NBA year is likely to be better than rookie-ish Hauser from last year.  If we’re healthy we don’t need too much from our backup wings, but there is both improved depth and improved quality.

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2023, 08:07:44 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yes, we're deeper at wing.  I feel pretty good about our rotation there.

Our bigs and PGs are less deep.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2023, 08:42:01 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

I think our PG depth is just fine — three of our presumptive top seven play the position.  It looks shallow because when healthy we’ll often have two on the floor, but if there’s an injury we can easily shift minutes to one of our many wings to fill in.

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2023, 08:54:19 AM »

Online smicker16

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15

Yeah I agree our PG depth is bad only because our big man depth is so poor that we will often go pretty small. Realistically, there will always be one position group on a contender that is not the strongest depth wise. I would rather it be wings though since Tatum and Brown play so many minutes compared to bigs like Horford.

I think our PG depth is just fine — three of our presumptive top seven play the position.  It looks shallow because when healthy we’ll often have two on the floor, but if there’s an injury we can easily shift minutes to one of our many wings to fill in.

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2023, 09:08:55 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I simply meant less deep than last year.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2023, 09:14:54 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

I simply meant less deep than last year.

Ah, yes, that is unquestionably true.

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2023, 09:32:09 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 691
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Coming down to if this team can withstand an injury to Al or KP where Kornet has to play meaningful minutes.

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2023, 11:14:59 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558

Brissett isn't a wing. He is basically a worse Grant Williams.  So if we are counting him, then you have to count Grant from last year.  Brown also played a lot at wing last year because we had Brogdon, White, and Smart (not to mention PP) which we've trimmed to Jrue and White.

Hauser, Walsh, Svi vs. Hauser, Jackson, Champagnie. Yeah it is better this year, but it still blows. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2023, 12:07:28 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Brissett isn't a wing. He is basically a worse Grant Williams.  So if we are counting him, then you have to count Grant from last year.  Brown also played a lot at wing last year because we had Brogdon, White, and Smart (not to mention PP) which we've trimmed to Jrue and White.

Hauser, Walsh, Svi vs. Hauser, Jackson, Champagnie. Yeah it is better this year, but it still blows.

Not gonna let you cut six bodies down to three Moranis.  Brissett is much more capable of guarding two's,  and threes than Grant. He counts as a wing that can guard fours as well.

You left off Lamar Stevens who is like a power Guard type. Jordan Walsh with Great feet and a 7'3" wingspan that will see the court, and has great defensive tools.

Svi who looks beget than Justin Jackson and Champaine already, and one of Brad's first grabs this off-season six foot eight inch Blanton,  who can play anywhere,  and guard anyone.

It's not Even close honestly.  This team has way better options than last year.

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2023, 01:49:02 PM »

Offline litangel

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 7
At this point, the six wings are not accomplished, but I believe the Celtics hired a staff that among other things maximizes player development. Look at what the Heat have done with "marginal" players? I believe by the end of these season two or more of this group will have stepped forward. I do believe we need team wide for about 3 players outside the big six to step forward, to fill in for injuries and help keep the minutes down for our stars.
Earlier comment was right we do not need too much from these folks, just someone who can fill a complimentary role 15-20 minutes a night.