Author Topic: Kyrie Irving vulgarly says he's not planning to celebrate Thanksgiving  (Read 3594 times)

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 07:07:41 PM by Roy H. »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1771
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Irving is part Native American.

He has a lot to be thankful for and that is basically what Thanksgiving has become (like Xmas with Santa and Easter with Bunny...thank goodness), but I can understand Native Americans not particularly loving the idea of celebrating this particular holiday (for obvious reasons).

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25622
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

He has a lot to be thankful for and that is basically what Thanksgiving has become (like Xmas with Santa and Easter with Bunny...thank goodness), but I can understand Native Americans not particularly loving the idea of celebrating this particular holiday (for obvious reasons).

What's the obvious reason?  The first Thanksgiving -- the one in the 1620s -- was a peaceful celebration between European settlers and Natives. 

Obviously a lot has happened in the intervening 400 years, but the traditional version of Thanksgiving is very respectful to Native Americans.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Really?? You think thats the reason...

That was not nice to Abby... what did she do?

He is understanbly bitter by the bad team play...but still
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 09:23:37 AM by triboy16f »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It is his right and asking people stuff after a loss is the "heat of the moment" situation.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
It is his right and asking people stuff after a loss is the "heat of the moment" situation.

Cmon on...

Whats next

Have a nice day

Kyrie : F U man!

Justified!

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
[dang] even his pops is giving him buckets. LOL

Haha joking...very nice commercial

https://twitter.com/KyrieIrving/status/1065613207581192192?s=19

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2715
"Irving confirmed to NBC Sports Boston's Abby Chin afterward that his opposition to Thanksgiving is rooted in his Native American heritage."

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2018/11/boston_celtics_kyrie_irving_do_1.html

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

What's the obvious reason?  The first Thanksgiving -- the one in the 1620s -- was a peaceful celebration between European settlers and Natives. 

Obviously a lot has happened in the intervening 400 years, but the traditional version of Thanksgiving is very respectful to Native Americans.

Maybe because the European settlers went on to slaughter almost all of them and take their lands?

I think the idea of Thanksgiving is wonderful, as a day for all to reflect and be thankful for what we have and spend time with our friends and family, but I can see why native americans may hate the holiday.

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1005
Or could it be that his team is performing frustratingly bad right now and he's letting it out in a different tone?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

@KyrieIrving
Follow Follow @KyrieIrving
More
I spoke w/ frustration after last nights game and spoke words that shouldn’t be in a professional setting no matter what.
6:33 AM - 22 Nov 2018

@KyrieIrving
 58m58 minutes ago
More
Meant no disrespect to the Holiday and those who celebrate it respectfully.  I’m grateful for the time We all can share with our families. We are always ONE. 🔺

https://twitter.com/KyrieIrving/status/1065614313208070144

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I figured he was speaking in frustration more than anything else.

Certainly don't need any more 40-50 page threads insinuating that yet another black athlete isn't somehow American based off of comments spoken in frustration.....

I love Kyrie Irving and his passion. I hope he stays patient. All of this will soon come to pass for him, Hayward and this fine team.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1771
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Maybe because the European settlers went on to slaughter almost all of them and take their lands?

I think the idea of Thanksgiving is wonderful, as a day for all to reflect and be thankful for what we have and spend time with our friends and family, but I can see why native americans may hate the holiday.

Thanks, hp - TP. And, yeah, I figured he was speaking in frustration. Even if he isn't Thanksgiving's biggest fan, an outburst like the one he had makes much more sense after a loss than just walking down the street.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Cmon on...

Whats next

Have a nice day

Kyrie : F U man!

Justified

Wouldn't you agree people are way too easily offended now days.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

No.  It was originally a celebration of an Indian massacre.  This is the worst day on the calendar for Native Americans.