Author Topic: Trading up from #14  (Read 1552 times)

Trading up from #14
« on: June 14, 2019, 04:20:22 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
The conventional wisdom in this draft is that a trade up into the 9-12 range isn't smart. There seems to be a general consensus that the top 3 Zion, Morant, and Barret are locked in and after that the next group off the board will be (in any order) Hunter, Culver, Garland, Reddish, and White. The seems like the consensus top 8. After that most "experts" have players in large tiers and there are claims that the trade is relatively flat from picks 9 till the 40s. This means that the player available at 9 isn't projected to be much better then the guy available at 30. This create a market for teams looking to trade out or down in the lottery.

If this is the case I have flip on my original desire for the Cs to lock into drafting 1 draft and stash, 1 high upside player, and 1 high floor player. Instead I really want the Cs to package picks to move up for Doumbouya. Assuming no big trade happen (AD) I really think Ainge needs to take a big swing on a prospect and Doumbouya has a really high ceiling and happens to potentially fit really well long term with Tatum and Brown. Teams shouldn't draft for need but this is a situation where need and BPA could fit nicely.

Doumbouya was reported by  Mike Scmitz of espn to have measured in at 6'10 in shoes at 225lbs. That coupled with a decent 7' wingspan means that in a couple of years he should be able to defend big wings/smaller post players who have proven to large for Tatum and Brown.

Trading up Precedent.

Portland

10th overall pick (Zach Collins)

Sacramento Kings get:

15th overall pick (Justin Jackson), 20th overall pick (Harry Giles)

This looks to me like a trade that sent two players from a lower tier up for a player from a higher tier.

This is almost exactly what I would hope the Cs could pull off.

Washington trade #9 to Celtics for #14 and #20

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Trading up from #14
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 04:51:50 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
on doumbouya, this article on celtics blog strongly disagrees with you...

https://www.celticsblog.com/2019/6/14/18678042/2019-nba-draft-big-board-tier-4-boston-celtics-matisse-thybulle-yovell-zoosman-ignas-brazdeikis

Sekou Doumbouya, Wing/Forward
The billing of Doumbouya as a lottery pick, and by some top-7, talent in this draft is truly baffling to me. Doumbouya’s long been one of the premier international prospects in this class, and maybe it’s simply an unwillingness to reevaluate. My best guess, though, is that it’s a function of the misguided assumption that bad equals “raw” and “raw” equals “upside.”

At this stage, Doumbouya is pretty bad:

He lacks any idea of how to attack a close out, and is a very poor decision-maker on both ends. The appeal, meanwhile, is derived from his physical tools--6’9” with a very plus wingspan and impressive stride length and fluidity:

Doumbouya is probably more smooth than vertically explosive, but he’s unambiguously a very good athlete. At times, he’ll even flash some recognition:

Overall, though, Doumbouya is painfully unaware and extraordinarily far from being a viable NBA player. Eventually, he could be an interesting do-it-all combo forward, but given the time it’ll take and the low baselines for Doumbouya’s skill and feel levels, I’m highly skeptical of using a top-20 pick on him and the perceived “upside” associated with him.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 05:01:16 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Justice Winslow says hello.

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 06:47:15 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I could see us using a pick to bring in a point guard via trade. Something like Yab + 14 for Dennis Smith Jr