Poll

Is Marcus an All Star?

Yup
5 (45.5%)
Nope
6 (54.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Marcus the All Star  (Read 842 times)

Marcus the All Star
« on: November 28, 2022, 11:20:14 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I know there’s a lot of time still but assuming the Celts keep playing at a high level they’re probably looking at 3 All Stars and Marcus sure is playing like one.  Really great to see him mature into this version of himself.
Yup

Re: Marcus the All Star
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 11:33:53 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Not sure if he will make it, but he definitely deserves it with how great he's been and where the team record is right now.

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 11:41:50 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
I love him, but he probably needs to score more to have a chance.  11 ppg would have to be near a record-low average for a guard to make it.  But he’s definitely playing the best offensive basketball of his career, and is so fun to watch.  He brings me as much joy to watch as any Celtic.

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2022, 02:22:57 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Injuries often help those oddball picks make the game.

On the plus side, LaMelo and Middleton have been injured opening up a couple of spots.  (Middleton is more position-fluid, similar to DeRozan and Jaylen).

But it doesn't help that 2 All-Stars came over from the West without any going back out (Mitchell, Murray), plus Jalen Brunson came over too, another contender for a guard spot.

Haliburton, Maxey, and Cunningham are all on the come up with nice stats (and varying degrees of team success).

Vets Beal and Irving were absent from the team last year and I'm sure want to make the team again this year.

Trae Young ain't giving up his spot.  Neither is DeRozan (they classified him as a guard last year).

Garland, Lavine, and VanVleet all have numbers (and one of them is already going to have to make room for Brown, who will probably be considered a guard), personally I don't expect Lavine or VanVleet to be back.

Harden's a wildcard due to injuries (has missed a month so far)

And if you're looking for a scrappy guard on a great team, then you also have to consider Holiday (better stats and helping keep the Bucks near the top of the standings with Middleton out, though Brook Lopez is making a case as the 2nd Buck too).

All that to say, a lot of competition at the guard spots.  Would be cool to see Smart make up, but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2022, 09:27:31 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I think there are probably too many high-scoring guards for Smart to make the team, but he deserves it.

Comparable stats (pre-All Star break): 

Andre Iguodala (2012):  12.4 points / 6.4 rebounds / 5.3 assists
Kyle Korver (2015): 12.3 points / 4.3 rebounds / 2.7 assists

Smart:  11.6 points / 3.1 rebounds / 7.5 assists

Obviously, the traditional counting stats don't do any of those three players justice for the impact they have on the game.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes