Author Topic: Jontay Porter  (Read 1220 times)

Jontay Porter
« on: November 28, 2022, 06:45:54 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Michael Porter’s younger brother, Jontay was a good prospect several years ago.  He graduated from high school early to play college with his brother at Mizzou.  While Michael barely played that season Jontay did very well.    He’s a 6’10” pf/c who was very skilled.  He could handle the ball, pass, and shoot well.  He was a decent shot blocker with his 9’1.5” standing reach.  He thought about going pro and likely would have been a mid to late first round pick.  He decided against it and had a lot of physical development left.  He was quite young for his year and still had baby fat and not enough muscle for the NBA yet.

He decided to return to school, but then tore his ACL and had to sit out a year.  After that season, he tore that ACL again.  Memphis eventually signed him and he played very little before being cut prior to last season.  I’m not sure what he was up to last year, but this year he’s playing for the Buck’s G League team and doing very well.  In 10 games, he’s averaging 26 mpg, 16.2 points, 8.4 rebounds, 2.9 assists, and 1.8 blocks.  He’s also shooting 46.3% on 6.7 threes per game.

I’m wondering if he could be a long term Horford replacement as he only just turned 23. Without decent upcoming draft picks, we’ll need to be creative.  We won’t need both Vonleh and Griffin with Rob Williams returning as they are barely playing now anyway and Porter is not under contract with the Bucks.

I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts about him.

https://stats.gleague.nba.com/player/1629007/

https://nbadraftroom.com/jontay-porter/

Re: Jontay Porter
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 07:15:10 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237
Has he ever played in the NBA? It’s hard to gauge someone based solely on GLeague stats. We practically have three guys playing well in the GLeague (JD, Kabanggele, and Samanic) but all three are considered to be at least a year away from contributing in the NBA. Porter can probably be placed on the same boat as those three?

Edit: He did play for Memphis in the NBA so he does have experience. Apparently he’s one of the GLeague prospects poised for a call up sometime this season.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 07:20:31 PM by radiohead »

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 07:29:57 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Has he ever played in the NBA? It’s hard to gauge someone based solely on GLeague stats. We practically have three guys playing well in the GLeague (JD, Kabanggele, and Samanic) but all three are considered to be at least a year away from contributing in the NBA. Porter can probably be placed on the same boat as those three?

He only played 11 games averaging 5 minutes for Memphis, so he doesn’t have much NBA experience.  I see him as a project like Samanic and Kabengele. 

I watched some of his games in college and thought he had a lot of potential.  I could see his potential role being similar to Al’s role now.  His passing and BBIQ stood out to me back then.  He hasn’t played a lot of basketball because of his injuries, but he’s healthy now, doing well in the G league, and not under an NBA contract.  His 3 point shooting so far is encouraging especially for his size.

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 07:33:55 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177

He only played 11 games averaging 5 minutes for Memphis, so he doesn’t have much NBA experience.  I see him as a project like Samanic and Kabengele. 

I watched some of his games in college and thought he had a lot of potential.  I could see his potential role being similar to Al’s role now.  His passing and BBIQ stood out to me back then.  He hasn’t played a lot of basketball because of his injuries, but he’s healthy now, doing well in the G league, and not under an NBA contract.  His 3 point shooting so far is encouraging especially for his size.

I have not seen Porter lately but when I saw him play in college he looked too slow for the NBA. He does have a good BBIQ and can pass and shoot...