Author Topic: Trade Idea with Chicago  (Read 2203 times)

Trade Idea with Chicago
« on: November 28, 2022, 08:56:06 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
In:  Andre Drummond, Javonte Green

Out:  TPE, cash, HOU #2, POR #2 (Vonleh and Jackson are included to make roster numbers work)

Is it worth it for either team?

For Chicago, they get a couple of second rounders, assuming HOU stays out of the bottom two.  They also get a $3.2 million trade exception and cash to cover the Vonleh / Jackson salaries.  They're a bad team right now, and they don't have a lot of reason to keep Drummond or Green, who are potential free agents.

For us, it's hopefully obvious.  We get a couple of vets that would really help our depth. 

Timelord / Kornet / Drummond
Horford / Grant / Griffin
Tatum / Hauser / Green
Brown / White / (Green)
Smart / Brogdon / Pritchard
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 09:22:38 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Trade Idea with Chicago
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2022, 09:08:21 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Bring back Jevonte Green! Yes! I'd love this, even though I don't know how many minutes we have.

I'm meh on Andre Drummond. Although to be fair, he'd probably be good in Robert Williams role on defense and as a passer in our system.

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2022, 09:15:07 AM »

Online knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
This makes a lot of sense.  Green would be an upgrade over Jackson.  It would be nice to have another wing to help manage the Jay’s minutes.  Drummond would be an upgrade over Vonleh and Griffin. 

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2022, 10:17:46 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 51
I'd have no problem flipping a second for Green, and on talent alone Drummond for a second is fine. However, both those guys are every-night players for a Chicago team hoping to make the playoffs. Javonte's on an expiring minimum deal and is likely set up to sign the only non-minimum contract of his career this summer (at 30 years old).

I'm not convinced Chicago's going to be willing to punt on the season by flipping rotation guys for seconds at any point this year - they're more likely to be buyers than sellers. You're also running the risk of introducing some malcontents to the locker room by taking every-night guys and giving them the Blake role.

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 10:19:05 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
not seeing the appeal for Chicago.  Drummond just doesn't seem like a fit here either.  better rebounder than who we have for sure but he doesn't seem to be as mobile as anyone else either (except Griffin)

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 10:21:49 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
not seeing the appeal for Chicago.  Drummond just doesn't seem like a fit here either.  better rebounder than who we have for sure but he doesn't seem to be as mobile as anyone else either (except Griffin)

Chicago sucks and is unlikely to make the playoffs.  At some point, they're going to realize that.  Role players on expiring contracts are pretty expendable.

Right now, the Bulls would end up with the #33 and #49 picks in the draft.  For two pending free agents in a non-playoff year, that's a pretty good return.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 10:28:09 AM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 10:27:34 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum

Chicago sucks and is unlikely to make the playoffs.  At some point, they're going to realize that.  Role players on expiring contracts are pretty expendable.

I'm not sure they will. They're a game out of the play-in and have some so-so trade chips to play with in Portland's first, Pat Williams, and Coby White. I think they're likelier to trade for, like, our old friend Terry or some other mid-tier addition than they are to outright tank.

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2022, 10:28:38 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Interesting trade idea, Tatum would love it LOL.

Chicago's motivation hinges on whether Ball return likely this season.  If not, I can see them intrigued by something like this.

Problem is that the Bulls' first rounder goes to Magic unless they land top 4.  They'd have to do a serious tank to land the worst record, and even then their odds of getting in top 4 are about 50/50. 

Didn't realize we have Houston's 2nd round pick bottom two protected.  That could be a fun pick.  Rooting for Rockets to finish 3rd or worse in the lottery!!!

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2022, 10:33:30 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Problem is that the Bulls' first rounder goes to Magic unless they land top 4.  They'd have to do a serious tank to land the worst record, and even then their odds of getting in top 4 are about 50/50.

Ah.  I didn't realize that.  At that point, they'd have to determine whether Drummond + Green is helping them win games.  Tanking ups their chances of landing in the top 4; dropping behind the Lakers would move them from 26.3% odds to 32.0% to land a top-4 selection.  However, I doubt Chicago wants to hand Orlando a top-7 pick if things don't work out.

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2022, 10:35:38 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The addition of Green means more the Drummond.   In fact, the lack of playing time for Drummond would make this a negative trade for the Celtics because he has shown he will not be happy not playing.

With Williams coming back soon, I am not sure what trade the Celtics would make at this moment.   Upgrading the last three members of the roster is not worth the increase in the money the team spends (and there is always a limit to what they would spend).   I am still in the wait and see if a need arises before making any move.   

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2022, 10:55:37 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
With Williams coming back soon, I am not sure what trade the Celtics would make at this moment.   Upgrading the last three members of the roster is not worth the increase in the money the team spends (and there is always a limit to what they would spend).   I am still in the wait and see if a need arises before making any move.

I'm becoming wildly repetitive at this point, but: use one of the TPEs to acquire a veteran who can eat some minutes when guys are banged up in the middle of the season and otherwise be a good citizen, but more importantly be another salary you can aggregate with Gallo. Rudy Gay if Wyc isn't scared of the player option, Garrett Temple (with a fully non-guaranteed team option for 5.4 million) if he is. Maybe pick up a second or two for your trouble in the process. Sit on the DPE to go shopping during buyout season, and if nobody particularly interesting appears convert Davison to a standard contract. Otherwise, just sit tight and lean on the bench a little more to try and get to the playoffs healthy unless a screaming good deal presents itself.

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2022, 11:06:20 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I prefer Dwight Howard to Andre Drummond. Similar offensive player and rebounder but Dwight is more disciplined on defense.

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2022, 11:12:15 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I'm not sure they will. They're a game out of the play-in and have some so-so trade chips to play with in Portland's first, Pat Williams, and Coby White. I think they're likelier to trade for, like, our old friend Terry or some other mid-tier addition than they are to outright tank.
this is where I'm at as well.  I don't see Chicago as a seller but rather as a buyer.  if Ball is toast for the year, that may be a real factor in terms of making them a seller but if there's hope for a return, I would think Chicago would want to have a functional roster around him and Green/Drummond offer that.

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2022, 11:23:53 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

this is where I'm at as well.  I don't see Chicago as a seller but rather as a buyer.  if Ball is toast for the year, that may be a real factor in terms of making them a seller but if there's hope for a return, I would think Chicago would want to have a functional roster around him and Green/Drummond offer that.

I wouldn't count on Lonzo coming back.  This is from about a week ago:

“It’s going slow, but he’s doing more, he’s doing more, and he’s doing more,” Donovan said. “He’s still not, obviously, running, but he’s doing different things that he couldn’t do before.

“Outside of that, until he’s running, jumping or cutting, I just don’t know how far away [he is].”

In other words, there’s still no timetable for the point guard to return, despite him now being past the initial four-to-six-week re-evaluation window that was given after he underwent a second surgery on his left knee in late September.

A best-case scenario no longer seems worth speculating about, except that the Bulls have been holding out hope that Ball can come back at some point this season.

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2022, 11:37:09 AM »

Offline bogg

• Jayson Tatum
I don't think Lonzo's coming back this year. I also don't think it's totally out of the realm of possibility that he could be the outgoing salary to Charlotte if Chicago traded for one of Terry or Hayward.